Maybe I don’t hate the 6.5 CM

So, I have had a long term aversion to owning a 6.5 creedmoor but decided to give one a try. I trade for an almost new Bergara B14 Ridge. This rifle is well balanced and well put together as I would expect from Bergara. Mounted my Vortex Viper 4-16x44 HS LR and headed to the range after a quick bore sight. Took a few to dial it in but after 20 rounds, I am really overall impressed. Low recoil, tight groups, the trigger is amazing and it was just a pleasure to shoot from the bench. I have been a .308/30-06 fan for my whole life. I may have found my new favorite.
I have 3...wish I had found the Creedmoor sooner. Killed a bunch of hogs with my Kimber hunter.

So, I have had a long term aversion to owning a 6.5 creedmoor but decided to give one a try. I trade for an almost new Bergara B14 Ridge. This rifle is well balanced and well put together as I would expect from Bergara. Mounted my Vortex Viper 4-16x44 HS LR and headed to the range after a quick bore sight. Took a few to dial it in but after 20 rounds, I am really overall impressed. Low recoil, tight groups, the trigger is amazing and it was just a pleasure to shoot from the bench. I have been a .308/30-06 fan for my whole life. I may have found my new favorite.
Now you are officially a Creedmoor band wagon guy, Congrats. I own 5 of them. Will never switch to another cartridge.

I had a rem 700 in 308 that shot terrible. Had no idea what was wrong with it after doing all my usual tricks . Poi shifted all the time . It was hopeless.
I made the choice to build a remage barrel custom in 6.5 cm. I'm glad I did ! Gun shoots very well . No problem putting 5 in close to .25 moa without much load development at all. Light recoil too. Is it a 1000 yd elk rifle ? lol NO ! But for range fun and whitetail inside my terrain limits, its a fine round . I never bought the hype and actually ignored the fan boys and hate groups when I made the pick to go 6.5 needmore. Lots of ammo choices, light recoil , and easy accuracy .......thats all I needed. Got that in spades !

Have been a long time reader but this is my second post. I have been reloading and shooting for quit a while and most of my knowledge came from a Lyman reloading manual. I read the posts and can say I have learned quit a few things that I did not know about reloading. I have quit a few different calibers and makes of rifles and do not have a bad one. Used to deer hunt with a 30:06 for years but eventually swapped to a 25:06. My daughter fell in love with it so I was back with the 30:06 and her 243 was gifted to a man with three sons. I saw one of the Savage Lite Weight 16s and ordered one in 6.5 and have never regretted it. Every caliber has a purpose and it takes the shooter to be responsible enough to use it that way. I have shot paper,steal,white tail, pigs,coyotes,antelope, and elk with it and no complaints. It is not my choice for elk and the one I took with it was less than 100 yards. The deer and antelope have been from 70 to 340 yards. It is very accurate and easy to use. I am also a fan of 300WM and that is the choice for elk and larger animals. I would take a lot longer shot at a larger animal with it knowing it has the energy to take the animal down and not just wound it. I now have 3 6.5s but my daughter is looking at one of them pretty hard so probably be back to two next deer season but if so I will be getting my 25:06 back.

Thats hillarious! I will still own .308/30-06/.270/243&300 win mag so all is not committed. Just really impressed with this round so now I can't figure out why so much hate. I know it isn't the long range gun that the man bun crowd touts it to be but pretty impressive nonetheless!
Enjoy your new rifle if you're happy with it that's all that matters, personally I've been a 264 mag. lover for years and could never ready get to like the 6.5 needmore but that's just me,if we all liked the same thing they would only make one caliber however Bergara is a nice rifle and I'm sure it will serve you well

Yeah, I'm one of those RPR Creedmoor owners. In fact I have several Creed rifles. Used it to hunt whitetails and never lost one but........I've returned to my .270 for DRT results.

The Creed is used when I want to shoot paper way out there. It is fun and gives me the capability to shoot gongs at ranges I never even tried before.

I killed lots of game with the 6.5x55 and also own a 6.5x284 so please don't put me in the man bun category. ;)

Last edited:
7E048D13-FFF1-4D18-A797-CD1E61F2B2FF.jpeg

I kind of thought that to until I started shooting 155s from the 308. Now, eh, nothing new and I don't have to ask if I can kill an elk with the 308.

My two cents

Ordered a MK VII E.R. SHAW in 6.5 Creedmoor 25 " bbl when they first came out. I mounted a Leupold Boone and Crockett 4.5x14 power scope on it shooting factory 129gr.sst ammo which at the time was all you could get. I gave $975 for the rifle. My goal was to take a hunting rifle, hunting scope and factory ammo and shoot 1000yds. I shot 2 three shot groups measuring 5"" each. It can be done!
This is a photo I'm including from an old post. I know it's easy to stick to our old ways, and sometimes it's hard to accept that maybe, just maybe there might be something that is new that might be worthy of having a spot in our gun safe. I did . It worked. I now own four. I'm 67 years old, who says an old dog can't learn new tricks!

Attachments

• 20220317_094442.jpg
    20220317_094442.jpg
    857.9 KB · Views: 86
I own three 6.5's but not the creedmoor. The saum, 6.5x47L and the grendel are all great the saum being my fav. I have always thought hating the creedmoor was kind of childish. Maybe I'll build a creed one day but the ballistics are so close to the 47 I think I'll just save the money. btw I am not a 308 hater, I may do a ar10 one day.