Magneto or labrador

I have had just about all the chronos out there and used the Oehler 35 for years. It was accurate but a PITA to set up. Went with the labradar and no going back. If there is a problem with muzzle brakes and labradar, it is headspacing (operator). Anything mounted to the barrel will throw off the barrel vibration which always has effects. My labradar has zero issues ONCE I read the manual and learned to use it. :) Was at the range today and no issues.

Then there's the need to put a barrier between a muzzle brake and the LR unit to protect it.
I've never put anything between them, but perhaps we don't shoot anything large enough to cause the LR to wobble or shake. A braked 300 Weatherby is the largest we've yet used with it.

My buddy and I shoot side by side with the LR in between us. Great advantage of the LR. Mine is usually a braked rum or nosler. His is always a 6.5 cm or prc. By myself, I shoot a MS.

A friend of mine puts his Labradar directly below his Armalite tank brake on his .50 BMG. The only problem is sometimes it turns off between strings and if you aren't familiar with it, you might not notice. I think it has more to do with a slow pace of fire than anything else.

I have and regularly use both. Even with the trigger shared earlier in the thread I don't get consistent readings with my suppressors using the Labradar. Many times I can get it to read the suppressor by putting the muzzle 6-10" behind the unit.

With muzzle brakes and the Labradar I stick the muzzle in front or behind the unit depending on which way the gasses are directed. It reads nearly 100%.

The Magnetospeed reads more consistently than the Labradar in my experience. But, the Labradar is nicer and easier to switch between rifles.

I use both. I have wiser mount for the mag so nothing is touching the barrel. My preference is the lab with a recoil trigger and using my suppressor. I have had no major issue with either and if money was an issue I'd do the mag and not look back. If money isn't an issue I like the lab better.

I love my Labradar so far. Some have trouble with them at the local range I suspect because of baffling interfering with the radar. My unit has been trouble free so far. I am going to get a trigger like FEENIX posted for convenience. The app issues and unit powering off on slow fire are spot on. I'd still take it over any of the alternatives and would buy it again.

It's a tool like anything else and needs to be set up properly and accessorized correctly. Eats batteries so use a battery bank. Good SD card like Dr Vette mentioned. Sight helps set up. Be sure it's on a solid mount. Good case so it doesn't get damaged. It doesn't come out of the box like that.

I finally bought a LabRadar in December and I have no interest in dragging my Oehler 35P out to the range ever again. I don't have any experience with a MagnetoSpeed, but I'm happy with the LabRadar. As someone else mentioned, the app is a joke, but it is mostly functional.

I have a LabRadar and it has been awesome. 90% of the rounds that have been recorder have been through rifles with Brakes on them and I have had no issues either. Doesn't mean I won't I guess but so far so good and it has been a god send. I also have the Oehler 35P and it works great as well but as someone on this post already mentioned it take forever to get it set up and it is a PITA. If the range is not flat at the bench it makes it even worse. So far about 700-750 rounds have gone pass the LabRadar without any issues. I love it.

My shooting buddy has one and it's broke down 4 times in a yr. Lab radar that is. Don't even think of using a muzzle brake with it. The last time it broke was recording a pistol. I'll stick to my 30 yr old 33. That's what he uses Everytime his is broke.
Shep
You need to start reading manuals, my friend.

I don't need to read the manual because it's not mine. Like you don't think he hasn't talked to the company many times. He's doing everything they told him. Fact is they are frail and prone to breakage. The first 2 were totally different units. Both replaced in 6 months. He doesn't own a magnum or muzzle brake. He only target shoots and his biggest cartridge is a 30br. I don't need to read manuals for my 35p is so simple and always works. Doesn't need a huge battery pack to run all day either a simple 9 volt last most of the yr. I mounted my skyscreen bar on a camera tripod so setup takes about a minute. When his lab radar works it's nice. It sure does eat battery.
Shep

Second the experiences of Sedancowboy and rfurman24. Haven't used my Magnetospeed or ProChrono in years. It IS critical to get the placement of the muzzle relative to the unit correct. Also, someone shooting a heavy caliber with a brake next to you can trigger the unit. That is the major downside of the Labradar.

I have the cheaper magnetospeed, yes it does change the poi but once I have the speed within the guidelines of my manual for the loads I'm using (223, 357 and 308) take it off and adjust the poi to what I want.
First three loads in a new batch of reloads get tested for velocity then I take it off again.
It's cheap and cheerful and does what the can says. It also works fine with moderators. I wouldn't have a muzzle brake, the moderators generally do a similar job but are quieter, especially the over-barrel ones.
It doesn't need any app but it's handy to have a spare battery in the container.
I also like the fact that it just has one sheet of paper for instructions, just the right amount of uncomplicated info for an old country boy like me.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.