Magneto Speed V3

I like my Magneto Speed. I certainly have no regrets purchasing it. The biggest advantage is reliability and ease of setting up. Have I changed my testing procedure? Yes. But the benefits of having a reliable chronograph and not having to go through the pain of setting it up on a busy range is well worth the change in my testing procedure. I actually test my loads more with my Magneto Speed than my old chronograph. Another benefit.

I can't think of a better way to justify stuffing my own. Even if the chrono changed the point of aim, the difference would still show up in the group.

Agreed, if POI just shifts with the thing attached to the barrel no big deal; you can dial that in and change the scope back later when you take it off. But if it affects the the group size for a given velocity (range), then that would confuse things.

Stuffing your own...Yup accuracy is probably the biggest justification for spending time hand loading, if one has to justify it. But even when I get lucky in terms of accuracy with a certain brand/model of factory ammo I end up using those cases for hand loads.

And yea, busy shooting ranges are a bit of a hindrance to using a standard chronograph on a tripod so the Magneto gets over that. Oh, unless it is one of those oh-so-strict city ranges where they won't let you attach anything to your barrel for liability reasons! Has anyone had an issue with that?

They are also a hindrance to shooting anything beyond 200 yards unless you have a spotter pit out under the long distance targets. Once I even had a rangemaster tell me "you're the only 1 shooting at 300 yards and 20 other shooters (shooting 50 - 100) don't want to wait for your target posting and retrieval." Ranges near cities generally suck....but I digress, as usual.

I have not encountered or heard of anyone not being allowed to attach a magneto speed to the end of a barrel on a public range. Although, I would not be surprised either. My priority when loading is accuracy first, velocity second. I often test a few rounds during my load testing to give me an idea of my velocity. But when I find my accuracy load I will load up several rounds and check velocity, ES, etc. One thing I like with the magneto speed it the ability to down load the data to an excel spread sheet. Something I could not do with my old unreliable chronograph.

When I am working up loads I do things in a specific order to save time and money.

First I look for a load that reaches the desired velocity, good SDs (Below 15 ft/sec) and good ESs.
This tells me I have a good consistent load With the bullet weight I want to use.

Then With that load I find the bullet and seating depth that gives me the best groups at the desired
distance.

I have found that this saves me lots of testing, components and barrel life. Trying to get to much information at a time will sometimes mask other problem and lots of testing has to be done to end up with the final results. (Make one change at a time and you can see the change).

I use the magneto speed to develop the load and then it is tested without the magneto speed attached for group and POI.

Just the way I do the load workup.

J E CUSTOM

When I am working up loads I do things in a specific order to save time and money.

First I look for a load that reaches the desired velocity, good SDs (Below 15 ft/sec) and good ESs.
I use the magneto speed to develop the load and then it is tested without the magneto speed attached for group and POI.

Just the way I do the load workup.

J E CUSTOM

I'm thinking this is one of those bits of advice you don't want to ignore considering who is saying it. Lots of hard earned experience right here.

I agree! Thanks J E. I appreciate your insight/advice. Personally I believe a person should always listen to others and than challenge my thinking and or processes in order to keep learning and improving. Much appreciated.

I like JE's system, I might get a magnetospeed, just gotta feel it's reliable and it last. That's always my pet peave with electronics I guess.

I have the v3 magnettospeed and really like it setup is easy and screen is easy to you

I've been doing virtually all my load development across a V3. If it affects group size for me much, I'd be surprised as I'm currently getting 1/2 MOA or better at 200 yds with it attached. I have done almost exclusively paper targets for the last year and had not given much thought to it changing POI even though I had seen information that it might cause a change. Given the large impact shift indicated previously in the thread, I will certainly check next time I head to the range.

I like JE Custom's input on load development and may adapt closer to his suggestions for the new builds I am expecting. I have put way too many rounds through my 300WM to develop loads- and my precision reloading ability.

Got my V3 and impressed with the simplicity and apparent accuracy. Question: during testing the unit continued to "slip" to the rear despite my attempts to tighten the strap. I thought it might have been due to thin barrels......rem Ti and Rem Mtn contours, but same thing on my 700 Rem mag. Thought about inserting a soft rubber type gasket material underneath the canvas strap. Also, as the unit moved to the rear, velocity values decreased steadily. Would appreciate any thoughts, similar experiences and corrective actions. Thanks in advance.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.