Magneto V3 or LabRadar

I used the magneto speed for a long time. Been good to me but it's only good for muzzle velocity. It changes POI on every hun I used it on and with the availability of components and time. I didn't want to have to chase speed then go after seating depth then go back and check es again. Went thru a lot of components. Just my opinion.

I bought the MS about 6 mos. ago to replace my cheap optical chrony. I didn't consider lab radar because of price. The MS does change POI (about 1" +/-) but doesn't seem to affect group size. I use it for load development (ES for powder charges, seating depth and neck tension). After settling on a load, I sight in and start gathering drop data (without the MS attached). It hasn't increased my use of components compared to my old chrony.

The most dramatic difference was the velocity readings between the MS and the optical chrony for a given load. The ES spread between the two often exceeded 40 fps, leading me to believe my reloading techniques sucked. The problem actually was the accuracy of the chrono readings. The MS was a game changer for me, but so would have been a lab radar.

There is a learning curve to the LabRadar unit in terms of aiming it properly. There are devices that can be purchased to assist in this.

There is also a possibility of the LabRadar getting confused by multiple guns firing at a range, especially of someone is at the next position. An external trigger can be utilized to eliminate this annoyance.

Using a smartphone with the LabRadar app makes using the unit much more intuitive/easier. It really is 100% reliable when used in this fashion per my experiences.

With that said, due to the fact that I have to travel about 1.25 hours to 100+ yard range, I also own a Magneto-Speed Sporter, which I use to go to an indoor 25 yard range that is 15 minutes away to do a pressure/ velocity test for a new powder/load with no targets involved. The Sporter has proven to be 100% reliable as well once proper spacing for the bullet flight path above the sensor has been established.

I have compared readings on both on the same bullet/shot and find them within 1-5fps of each other.

Last edited:
Labradar here.
No mounting it to a rifle barrel and changing POI or barrel harmonics.
Switch between rifles easily, as there is nothing to attach.
Mine works fine with suppressed rifles. Just place it is front of the end of suppressor, and it should capture all but maybe a .22LR suppressed. I shoot over mine weekly with suppressors, and RARELY miss a shot. I do not have a secondary trigger.

20210424_085752.jpg

20210501_074506.jpg

20220205_080525.jpg

Labradar here.
No mounting it to a rifle barrel and changing POI or barrel harmonics.
Switch between rifles easily, as there is nothing to attach.
Mine works fine with suppressed rifles. Just place it is front of the end of suppressor, and it should capture all but maybe a .22LR suppressed. I shoot over mine weekly with suppressors, and RARELY miss a shot. I do not have a secondary trigger.

View attachment 339534
View attachment 339535
View attachment 339536
Off subject, it looks like you are fire forming brass, what cartridge is that?

I have the MS Sporter. Works a treat for me and has never let me down. Yes, it does affect POI but when I am shooting ladders to find a powder node I don't care about that tbh. When I have found my load I go back and zero. Job done. Our club and one of our members has a labradar. Can't say I'm that impressed personally, what with the set up, failures to record shots, etc. With the Magnetospeed, I just have to make sure it's strapped on good and tight and away I go.

Lab Radar setup:
With muzzle brake; muzzle 10-12" in front of unit with barrel 8" to the side.
(The deflected muzzle blast interferes with the radar signal if placed too close.)
Without brake; muzzle even with unit and still 8" to the side.
Set barrel 8" offset in setup menu.
Select sensitivity medium-high to high.
If other shooters are triggering LR then reduce sensitivity.
With suppressor use maximum sensitivity or accessory trigger may be needed.
Check LR is armed before pulling trigger.
With these configurations I rarely fail to record a shot.

Check LR is armed before pulling trigger.

I had to chuckle when I read this, as it seems these days not arming the LabRadar is the only reason I miss a shot! I just extended the ARM time setting to 5 minutes. Now if there was only a way to remind me to arm it after starting a new series! LOL

I have both
Magnetospeed -
Pros :
Less expensive
Measures over 3900f/s
Intuitive to use
Very accurate
Records shots 99% of the time
Cons :
Hangs on the barrel changing point of impact
I bought an aftermarket MS holder. It works great if your rifles are in a chassis or have a factory Picatinny rail built into the fore end

Labradar -
Pros:
It doesn't attach to your rifle
It's as accurate as the MS
Cons:
More expensive. A lot more
Especially after you add the following. Which I did to make the unit record 90% of the time
Add these items-
Tripod
Recoil trigger
Battery & holder
Aiming device..I tried them all
The red dot with holder works
Doesn't record over 3900ft/sec
Not intuitive to use
False readings due to recoil trigger "feeling" your chambering a round
User error because it wasn't armed or ran out of time being armed

It's your decision
Make it wisely 😊
And one more pro for the MS (con for the LR): the MS case is compact and light weight. I carry it in my range bag (from Midway), so it is always with me. MS doesn't need a tripod or any other devices, and is easy on batteries.

I have both and use both - the magnetospeed is the best when you buy a mount and use it off of a chassis/stock for no change in POI or barrel harmonics, but without a chassis or stock mount you have to shoot twice as much, getting velocities and then for accuracy, without it attached. a good mount is going to cost you $200+ putting it in line with the labradar, but its use is limited unless you shoot more, which is never a bad thing.
Labradar works well, using a trigger makes it better, but you occasionally loose a shot, you have to pay close attention to signal strength and vibrations in the bench to get the best results. I bought a trigger $35, soft laptop case for $20 to store it in,$20 for a battery pack and use my tripod off of the bench to hold the unit. works great for guns that I don't have the option for the mangetospeed mount a piece of straw taped to the sight helps with alignment of the unit, or $20 for a bolt on sight
good luck both are quality instruments

Maybe 1 out of 30 shots is not recorded, either due to the unit or me forgetting to rearm if I waited 2 mins.

Any rechargeable brick that you might use for your phone works. I had a MagnetoSpeed and I wouldn't go back if you gave me one.