M70 Builds

Pelicanpoint

So, I had 2 Extreme Weather M70's collecting dust in the safe and decided to give both a big make-over. My builder, Matt, at Ridge Rifles finished the first one (7mm WSM) and fixing to ship it back to me. The other one is a 325 WSM. Both actions were trued and bead blasted. Both were given new Timney's and both will be dressed in new McMillan Game Hunters. The 7wsm has an 8 twist 24" Proof and the 325 wsm has a 10 twist 25" CarbonSix. Would love your thoughts and opinions on these two builds and reasons why you don't see more builds using the M70. Thanks

Attachments

• 14A13719-7FD7-4E6E-A90A-CE11523E295D.jpeg
    14A13719-7FD7-4E6E-A90A-CE11523E295D.jpeg
    614.8 KB · Views: 372
  • 46342194-EB91-4269-A42B-74D2171529A8.jpeg
    46342194-EB91-4269-A42B-74D2171529A8.jpeg
    198 KB · Views: 300
Last edited:
I think you'd see more if there were more chassis options. And we don't see more chassis options due to Winchester messing with the moly pattern so many times. I personally love my 70's but they are factory rifles. Of course stocks are available but I'm talking chassis options here.

Mainly due to aftermarket parts. Stocks, magazine options mainly. Barrels and triggers, not a problem. Factory parts are scarce too. MGW or Numrich but getting harder to find the right parts if you want to build a different cartridge/ caliber. Have 5 semi customs in M70s and 3 factory Classics. The Extreme Weathers are 2 of my semi customs. Bartlien barrels w/ proper twists, triggers, bedded, trued actions, and longer factory mag boxes and followers. 264WM and 6.5 PRC. Both sub 1/2 shooters. Also acquired a 270WSM in M70 Westerner w/ 26" 8 twist 4 contour . Need to load up some 170Es and go dial it in yet.

Really cool builds I've always like the crf model 70 and the extreme weather ones have always been my favorite.id love to have one in 308 and one in 300 wsm and if be set.the carbon fiber wrap barrels are nice to see on model 70 as well I don't know if I've ever seen anyone do that before.two thumbs up for sure

Yes there are more chassis options for other brands. But my Model 70 FWT came with a factory McMillan stock so that's a plus. I find the bolt handle angle makes it easier to work the bolt fast. The triggers are easy enough to adjust. And I find the three position safety to be a huge advantage for a hunting rifle. I love my Remingtons because of the huge after market support. Remage barrels and no extractor cut makes them easier to trick out. And I wish I had a M700 LA for it's generous magbox. But I find my Winchester is my go to hunting rifle. I think you chose your cartridges pretty wisely, covers North American game with just those two rifles.

Higher base gun price, less options, rarity, and rumors. It's harder to cut up a 800$ gun than a 500$ one especially when you can't trick it out as much. On top of that they aren't nearly as common as 700's. When I was growing up it was "common knowledge" that M70's weren't as accurate as 700's and that the 30-06 was just some old grandpa cartridge. Now I'm 31 and know better and shoot a M70 extreme weather chambered in 30-06.

Mod 70 Winchester , The Rifleman's Rifle , if the pre 64 had stayed the same and not changed the designed and changed too the post 64 , the mod 70 might have been just as popular as the Rem 700 is today.
Win M70 CRF is one of my favorite rifles. However, I doubt they would ever reach the Rem 700 popularity due the the reasons mentioned by others before. Also, changing a barrel requires a machine shop to cut the extractor cut, where else on a Rem 700 you just need a vice and wrench.

So, I had 2 Extreme Weather M70's collecting dust in the safe and decided to give both a big make-over. My builder, Matt, at Ridge Rifles finished the first one (7mm WSM) and fixing to ship it back to me. The other one is a 325 WSM. Both actions were trued and bead blasted. Both were given new Timney's and both will be dressed in new McMillan Game Hunters. The 7wsm has an 8 twist 24" Proof and the 325 wsm has a 10 twist 25" CarbonSix. Would love your thoughts and opinions on these two builds and reasons why you don't see more builds using the M70. Thanks
Model 70's are my guns. Built a 6.5 PRC on a Shadow with the controlled rnd push feed action. Bartein barrel, timney trigger, and put it in the laminated coyote lite stock. Not the bug shooter I had hoped for but it does shoot well. Will do 1/2" to 3/4" groups all day long. Just a very nice using rifle. I like it!!