700 builds

Driller54

Picked up a a few actions right off the site. All stripped so I'm looking for some bolts..would yall have any input on which direction I should go? Just regular Remington or pages or??

You can order bolts from PT&G (custom sized). By the time you buy the bolt body from them and have the handle welded on, and add the M16 extractor you will have the same in it as you would if you bought a Remington bolt. M16 (regular or mini) is preferred as Remington extractors are 'rare as hens teeth' right now.

Last edited:
Picked up a a few actions right off the site. All stripped so I'm looking for some bolts..would yall have any input on which direction I should go? Just regular Remington or pages or??
I have 1 LA M700 with a PTG bolt and 1 SA M700 with a PTG bolt. Both bolts are 1 piece, so no need to get anything welded on. Both have the M16 extractor. PTG bolts can be a little stiff on the bolt lift / cocking compared to bolts supplied with custom actions, just know that on the front end. I have been very happy with both of mine. Make sure you get a good accurate measurement of the id of your receivers so your bolt doesn't bind when cycling. I had the gunsmith doing my builds do the measuring and sent that on to PTG.

I pay about the same for a PT&G bolt as a Rem stock bolt, and that doesn't include the firing pin assembly, that is extra!
I also swap out bottom metal for PT&G, and get stainless or CM, not aluminum.
The other thing to swap out on new Rem actions are the pressed steel followers, they bind and are just junk.
The triggers are also junk.
Apart from that, they're good to go. Lol.

Cheers.

Shortgrass,
Do you do the Sako extractor conversion?
I have done this myself and like it, but have never done or used the M16 style extractor.
Is there much difference between them?

Cheers.

I have a fixture for doing the hinge pins, it was supplied by an old timer, he had so many different fixtures he had actually forgotten what they were for.
I bought most of his stuff when he retired.
I don't have a current supplier for the Sako extractor, so might look into the M16 style.

Cheers.