M70 Builds

The Model 70 has always been a hunter's rifle rather than a target rifle. I hunt with Model 70 featherweight rifles because they are so user friendly. The strong points to a Model 70 are the three position safety that will lock the firing pin and the bolt handle, smooth feeding action that doesn't destroy bullet tips, the flat bottom receiver with an integral recoil lug that won't twist in the stock, the easy latch on the floor plate, and the vast array of after market parts such as Timney triggers, Leupold scopes, scope mount rings & bases, McMillan stocks and flush mount swivel cups, Pachmayr decelerator pads and Nosler bullets. Manufacturing tolerances of the pre 64 rifles are so close that parts easily change from one rifle to another. Most people who talk down these rifle are usually not hunters or they would have noticed the advantages. When people talk about having a favorite hunting rifle I usually laugh because over a hunters lifetime the choice may change several times and evolution has led me to the featherweight Model 70 which is a great rifle.

Last edited:
The Model 70 has always been a hunter's rifle rather than a target rifle. I hunt with Model 70 featherweight rifles because they are so user friendly. The strong points to a Model 70 are the three position safety that will lock the firing pin and the bolt handle, smooth feeding action that doesn't destroy bullet tips, the flat bottom receiver with an integral recoil lug that won't twist in the stock, the easy latch on the floor plate, and the vast array of after market parts such as Timney triggers, Leupold scopes, scope mount rings & bases, McMillan stocks and flush mount swivel cups, Pachmayr decelerator pads and Nosler bullets. Manufacturing tolerances of the pre 64 rifles are so close that parts easily change from one rifle to another. Most people who talk down these rifle are usually not hunters or they would have noticed their advantages. When people talk about having a favorite hunting rifle I usually laugh because over a hunters lifetime the choice may change several times and evolution has led me to the featherweight Model 70 which is a great rifle.

Attachments

• 47FCADB6-E039-44F1-8120-E430AA9BBB46.jpeg
    47FCADB6-E039-44F1-8120-E430AA9BBB46.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 63
Hard rock-

That is centerfold material!

Love the way the check piece was folded in and the checkering by the trigger too.
Awesome!
My dad was a gun and stock builder , he made all his patterns and checkering etc , I helped but he gets all the credit . We picked up a 300 win mag super grade barrel at a gun show post 64 barrel . We barreled it up indexed it so the lettering matched right . I decided I didn't like the recoil and had Bartlien rebarrel it too 6.5 prc , it definitely tamed it down .

My dad was a gun and stock builder , he made all his patterns and checkering etc , I helped but he gets all the credit . We picked up a 300 win mag super grade barrel at a gun show post 64 barrel . We barreled it up indexed it so the lettering matched right . I decided I didn't like the recoil and had Bartlien rebarrel it too 6.5 prc , it definitely tamed it down .
ADK thanks for the compliment

If you look at the Bartlein website you'll see they charge $310 to chamber, headspace and fit a barrel to a Model 700 action and the same $310 to cut the cone, extractor grouve and chamber & headspace a Model 70 Winchester. There are still gunsmiths available who can work on control feed actions and my gunsmith currently charges me $125 to change the barrel on a Model 70 controlled feed action using a pre-owned Winchester barrel. I can't afford the Bartlein barrels so if I want a different caliber I find a used Winchester barrel in excellent condition and make the change. It has always worked out good for me. Having a barrel re-bored is also a good option.

Last edited:
The Model 70 has always been a hunter's rifle rather than a target rifle. I hunt with Model 70 featherweight rifles because they are so user friendly. The strong points to a Model 70 are the three position safety that will lock the firing pin and the bolt handle, smooth feeding action that doesn't destroy bullet tips, the flat bottom receiver with an integral recoil lug that won't twist in the stock, the easy latch on the floor plate, and the vast array of after market parts such as Timney triggers, Leupold scopes, scope mount rings & bases, McMillan stocks and flush mount swivel cups, Pachmayr decelerator pads and Nosler bullets. Manufacturing tolerances of the pre 64 rifles are so close that parts easily change from one rifle to another. Most people who talk down these rifle are usually not hunters or they would have noticed the advantages. When people talk about having a favorite hunting rifle I usually laugh because over a hunters lifetime the choice may change several times and evolution has led me to the featherweight Model 70 which is a great rifle.
9 months ago when I searched the McMillan website, they were no longer manufacturing stocks for M70s.
The new owners were focusing efforts on stocks for fewer actions. Only the most popular actions.

Last edited:
I'm a Rem 700 guy, but I have my Dad's Win 70, 30-06, "All Weather", which I love. It's well tuned, and shoots 180s into a dime sized bughole at 100 yds. It's truly a very fine gun, and I often hunt larger deer with it.