M70 Builds

If you look at the Bartlein website you'll see they charge $310 to chamber, headspace and fit a barrel to a Model 700 action and the same $310 to cut the cone, extractor grouve and chamber & headspace a Model 70 Winchester. There are still gunsmiths available who can work on control feed actions and my gunsmith currently charges me $125 to change the barrel on a Model 70 controlled feed action using a pre-owned Winchester barrel. I can't afford the Bartlein barrels so if I want a different caliber I find a used Winchester barrel in excellent condition and make the change. It has always worked out good for me. Having a barrel re-bored is also a good option.
Sage I am interested in this. I do have a barrel from another M70, same caliber, model, everything. I was told the extractor cut might not aligned properly, but it sound like your gunsmith can do it.

Good to know McMillan, under new ownership, is producing M70 stocks. I own a couple M70s. I couldn't order the stock I wanted 9 months ago when I tried. But company management was likely in the midst of transition at that time.

Last edited:
Sage I am interested in this. I do have a barrel from another M70, same caliber, model, everything. I was told the extractor cut might not aligned properly, but it sound like your gunsmith can do it.
Yes, I have had the job done four times and every time it's worked well. I have only done it with featherweight rifles because they do not have the screw into the bulge on the bottom of the barrel. It requires a lathe and someone who knows how to do the work. The job may require removing a small amount of metal in front of the barrel shank so the barrel can be rotated slightly to line up the witness mark and then a finishing reamer may be required to set the headspace. My gunsmith usually takes about two months to do the job because he has to work it in with other jobs. He is in Tulsa, Oklahoma and does really good work. Just be sure that the barrel you want to use has the same thread pattern because because late model barrels are different. You need to talk to the gunsmith by phone and discuss the job to confirm the pricing before you ship the action and barrel. Send me a PM if you want his location and phone number.

Yes, I have had the job done four times and every time it's worked well. I have only done it with featherweight rifles because they do not have the screw into the bulge on the bottom of the barrel. It requires a lathe and someone who knows how to do the work. The job may require removing a small amount of metal in front of the barrel shank so the barrel can be rotated slightly to line up the witness mark and then a finishing reamer may be required to set the headspace. My gunsmith usually takes about two months to do the job because he has to work it in with other jobs. He is in Tulsa, Oklahoma and does really good work. Just be sure that the barrel you want to use has the same thread pattern because because late model barrels are different. You need to talk to the gunsmith by phone and discuss the job to confirm the pricing before you ship the action and barrel. Send me a PM if you want his location and phone number.
It makes sense and glad some gunsmiths still willing to do the xtra! Thanks I appreciate it! I need to check the barrel on it again and then I will decide.