Low recoil deer rig for friend with cancer

Have you shot a braked rifle from a box blind? I have, and I would either double up the ears or select a cartridge and gun not requiring a brake. Plenty of rounds that will do this reliably on Deer, some of which have been mentioned and others I have dropped Deer with with boring ease but which you dont want to hear about so I wont mention.

This is not necessarily a long range topic, but I like the pragmatic advice I usually get here. I have a build project that I am taking on for a friend who had cancer in his jaw. He has had the jaw rebuilt and cannot take any recoil on it right now. He tried hunting with a handgun this year but was not happy with it. Here is my strategy. What am I missing?

1. Heavy gun, but not too long as it will be used in box blinds where long and heavy is cumbersome. I'm thinking heavier stock so it balances and a light varmint barrel. He is recovering well other than his jaw bone so he should be able to handle the weight.

2. Serious muzzle brake. I am working off the Precision Rifle Blog test for the most recoil reduction.

3. 6.5 Creedmoor or 25-06. I can run 100 gr partitions in 6.5 or 110 Accubonds in .257 and load them down for less recoil. This will give the option to be loaded up in the future when he recovers. Please do not tell me I should look at a 243 win. This is for an adult shooting large WI whitetails. While I know he could get away with it, I see no advantage. I thought about 6.5x47, 257 Roberts and some others but, long term, convenient factory ammo would be a nice option as he doesn't handload and I live in a different state.

4. Stock considerations. I am thinking of a tactical stock that has an adjustable cheek insert (like the adjustable Manners or Bell & Carlson). I would remove the insert leaving a large notch. Then add a cushioned sleeve/pad toward the back of the notch to establish some sort weld, but recoil would move the gun back and away from the jaw bone. I was also looking at a minimal drop from the center of the bore to the butt so recoil would be more straight back and have less rise/cheek slap.

OK, what have I not thought about? Are there glaring mistakes in this plan?

Thanks,

Chris
Git a bergara b-14 hmr in 6.5 Creedmoor and put a brake on it.

Have you shot a braked rifle from a box blind? I have, and I would either double up the ears or select a cartridge and gun not requiring a brake. Plenty of rounds that will do this reliably on Deer, some of which have been mentioned and others I have dropped Deer with with boring ease but which you dont want to hear about so I wont mention.

My concern with smaller calibers and lighter bullets is penetration. In the heavily wooded areas where we hunt you do not always have the option of waiting for perfect broadside shots. Also I have never been a proponent of shooting game with the lightest possible round. I read these threads where people say you can kill x animal with x minimal cartridge. And the the BS justification is always well if you have proper shot placement it will work... Sure you could shoot everything in the head with a 22 but I would not recommend it. Of course shot selection and placement are the most important factor, but we do not live in a perfect world so I always leave myself a little margin for error.

Sorry ATH, that was not all directed at you. I really enjoy reading and conversing on this site and it is a great resource that I have relied on for years even before I ever made my first post. But this has been a hot button topic for me. I feel it is irresponsible to post things that a inexperienced hunter could take to heart and end up losing game. There is a reason 22 caliber cartridges are not legal for deer in many states and I do not know why anyone would shoot a deer with one when there are so many reasonable options. Again sorry for the rant.

As for shooting with a brake out of a box blind, yes I have done this. But I do hunt with protective muffs. Besides being able to hear deer sooner and protecting my hearing, they are great for listening to football games and keeping my ears warm in WI. Also, my brake is the qd mount for my suppressor and is not the most efficient brake. That is to say it does not have angled ports that direct blast at all backwards. With the muzzle out the window do you feel that it is louder than shooting off a bench?

E
This idea can definitely work. Also if your friends jaw heals all you need to do is get a new set of medium or low rings. If you lived closer to Colorado you could just come shoot mine.

I think this is all starting to come together. Thanks for the input, it is truly appreciated. Aside from the main goal of making a rifle that is safe for him to shoot, the secondary goal is to not give him something that is so specialized that it sits in the safe once he recovers or requires a bunch of $s to rebuild.

Every time I go to Colorado I ask myself why I live in TX. Between living here, work travel, and managing our land in WI I do not get to spend enough time in the mountains.

E

I think this is all starting to come together. Thanks for the input, it is truly appreciated. Aside from the main goal of making a rifle that is safe for him to shoot, the secondary goal is to not give him something that is so specialized that it sits in the safe once he recovers or requires a bunch of $s to rebuild.

Every time I go to Colorado I ask myself why I live in TX. Between living here, work travel, and managing our land in WI I do not get to spend enough time in the mountains.

This setup would be pretty universal and all he would need to do if he wanted a larger caliber is just change out the barrels and that's only $500.

As for Colorado, it's a horrible place and nobody should ever want to come here! The wolves have eaten all the elk and we have more mountain lions than Mule deer!

Another option if he doesn't want to spend a ton of money on a full custom but need the custom stock would be to get a howa barreled action, as you can get one with a heavy barrel in 6.5 creedmoor, and then get a stock that works and have it inlet. Mcmillan sako hunter stock might work well for a the application.

This setup would be pretty universal and all he would need to do if he wanted a larger caliber is just change out the barrels and that's only $500.

As for Colorado, it's a horrible place and nobody should ever want to come here! The wolves have eaten all the elk and we have more mountain lions than Mule deer!

Another option if he doesn't want to spend a ton of money on a full custom but need the custom stock would be to get a howa barreled action, as you can get one with a heavy barrel in 6.5 creedmoor, and then get a stock that works and have it inlet. Mcmillan sako hunter stock might work well for a the application.

You should be on the local chamber of commerce. Kind of like the bumper sticker I saw in Austin (population explosion there, especially SoCal transfers) It just read "I Heard Dallas is Nice".

We'll see how much he wants to spend. That's a great option. I sent him options from savage action, ER Shaw barrel... to Bighorn, Kreiger... Also figured I could probably pick up and rework a used rifle in the classifieds here if budget was limited.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.