Low recoil rifle for whitetails and coyotes. Opinions?

Quite the discussion going on.

243 Win, should do all you need. Sharp but light recoil IMO.
257 Roberts, grew up shooting one, still miss that 722. One of the classics, I like the Bob with 24" barrel (the 250 Savage is very similar, just less case capacity in stock form)
6.5 Creedmoor, have one. Love it, don't miss the Bob so much.
7mm-08, with the 120 gr bullets, easy. 139-140, still does all you ask.

I bought a SS, synthetic Savage in 250 Savage a couple years ago when they did a run of 250 and 300 Savage for something? I really bought to rebarrel to 257 Robert imp, but having so much fun with the 250 Savage(stock), just kept. Shoots way better than my Gramps 99 in same cal.

Those are my opinions, let us know what you go with.

If you like the 06 family, you could always go with a .270 win. Its a 30-06 necked down to take a .277 round. I shoot 130gr Nosler boat-tailed ballistic tips. Never had a problem taking deer or coyotes for that matter. My brownings got a bit on the high end of recoil, but I've fired some that are a lot better. Just my two cents.

Re: Low recoil rifle for whitetails and coyotes. Opinions?

Really like my .270 also but this guy was looking for something with very little recoil and a .270 is not the rifle for that or at least not my .270 it has a fair amount of kick. I bought it for these big desert mule deer around here and it does a good job putting them down but if you are a fair shot you can drop one of these big deer with a 100 grain round from a .243 i did last year 12 points with a 37" spread and there are lots of deer out here in these sand hills that are much bigger. Anyway i know this is all in just what each person prefers and i am a fan of the .243 i think it's a really good varmint rifle and a really good rifle for game up to deer size even mule deer. No matter what you like out there just have fun and be safe. Good luck to you all.

I found the rifle. While traveling through Boise, ID I stopped at Mid Star guns and found a .257 wby mag. It's a used Weatherby Vanguard that is in almost new condition. The price was too good to pass up. Ended up getting the rifle for $375 and a box of Weatherby ammo for $40. So now I need to track down some brass and decide what bullets I want to try out. I'm leaning toward the 110 grain Accubonds, or 115 grain ballistic tips.

I found the rifle. While traveling through Boise, ID I stopped at Mid Star guns and found a .257 wby mag. It's a used Weatherby Vanguard that is in almost new condition. The price was too good to pass up. Ended up getting the rifle for $375 and a box of Weatherby ammo for $40. So now I need to track down some brass and decide what bullets I want to try out. I'm leaning toward the 110 grain Accubonds, or 115 grain ballistic tips.

If you have any questions or need any reloading info, shoot me a PM...I might be able to help. I've had my Accumark .257 Wby Mag since 2008. It loves the 110 NAB's and the 115 Berger VLD's.

I'm actually fixing to build a really lightweight .257 Wby on a Rem 700 I have sitting in the safe, with a worn-out .338 WM barrel on it. Just found that out this weekend... :( But it gives me an excuse to build another custom...Which is always nice. :D

A little update on this thread. As mentioned above, I ended up choosing a .257 Wby Mag for my fiancé to shoot for her first year deer hunting. I tested a few different bullet/powder combinations: 100 grain BT, 115 grain Partitions, and finally settled on 110 grain Accubonds. I still have some tinkering to do with the load, but this shoots about MOA which is good enough for medium range whitetail hunting. Now for the results. My fiancé took a decent 3x3 buck on the opening morning of the general season here in Washington. She made a perfect shot at about 300 yards on the bedded buck.

Attachments

• DSCN0602resized.jpg
    DSCN0602resized.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 42
Glad to see yall are enjoying the .257 Wby! And congrats on the deer!

The 110 NAB's were what shot best for my Accumark, and performed flawlessly on deer for me, as well. Since then, I've gotten the Berger 115 VLD's to shoot pretty dang good, too. I'll be trying those out on deer this year to see how they compare to the 110 Accubonds.

Unfortunately my lightweight .257 Wby project took a different direction as the months passed, so the .338WM will be getting a 7mm RemMag barrel put on it, instead.

MudRunner - What powder/s do you find shoot best in your .257? I've been limited to testing with H4831sc and IMR4350 because that is what I shoot in my .300WM and .30-06 respectively. The H4831sc and 110 grain AB's have shot the best, but I think there is still room for improvement. I have been trying to get ahold of some H1000, RL-19, RL-22, and/or RL-25 for testing, but haven't had any luck.

MudRunner - What powder/s do you find shoot best in your .257? I've been limited to testing with H4831sc and IMR4350 because that is what I shoot in my .300WM and .30-06 respectively. The H4831sc and 110 grain AB's have shot the best, but I think there is still room for improvement. I have been trying to get ahold of some H1000, RL-19, RL-22, and/or RL-25 for testing, but haven't had any luck.
I have been using H1000 alot. I have been wanting to try IMR 7828 SSC next, just to see if I can get the groups any smaller. But I haven't had much time to get out to the range...And when I do plan to, it usually ends up raining or excessive wind.

I have used RL-22 and it did fine. I think RL-19 would be a little fast for that caliber with that length barrel. If it had a 22" barrel or so, it might be ok. RL-25 will probably be a good one for it. Very slow burning for a highly overbore caliber.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.