Lost My Ammo, Had To Buy Some at Local Store

Its amazing how much 7-08 and .308 look alike!
7-08 and 308

Last edited:
That may have been customs. From what I remember ammunition has to be an exact match to the gun declared on the permit.
No that they don't match it. They do ask how many rounds you have with you. I have had them ask if that's enough ammo or that's a lot. I think I had 60 round with me. Two different loads. I wouldn't do that again. I hadn't had time to use the ligher loads. I didn't use them
In Africa, they seem to be more interested if I had a key to unlocks the case. I guess they felt that I was the owner of the case.
That one thing I had three keys and in different location. One on me, One in a carry on, and one in my suitcase. I worried about that the whole time.
The dumbest was in New York, I had to transfer to another area to fly on home. I came into position of my rifle and ammo at that time. I felt that was a about as dumb as could be. That place you with both items for that firearm. L.A. again and waiting to be pickup. Talk about stupid things. They had problem with that in Florida several years back, from a man flying from Alaska. Sad!

I had a friend of a friend who wanted to go on a waterfowl trip to Canada we took every year. The first year he forgot his passport, boots and a blind. I specifically asked him about gun forms and passport when we left that morning. "Yep I've got it." We left him at the border and made him figure it out. He rented a car after he overnighted his passport.

The second year he forgot his ammo and didn't have any gun forms filled out so the border was a nightmare. They aren't all that excited about you playing with your guns in the parking lot to get serial numbers off them. They really don't like printing forms for you either.

The guy was a soup sandwich. I have no idea how he had a job.

The third year he didn't get invited.

I see and hear this comment about forgetting ammo all the time. Just saw it on another, what cartridge to build thread. In 55 years of hunting this has NEVER happened to me, or to anyone I know. Even on fly in hunts I have never lost my ammo, though I do pack ammo into three different spots in case some luggage gets lost. How many of you have personally had to buy ammo at a local store because you forgot or lost your hand loads?
Nope, never yet forgot ammo or really nothing much that was truly needed. Truth is, though, my son usually asks if I have the kitchen sink in my pack...It's never light enough!!!

I had a friend of a friend who wanted to go on a waterfowl trip to Canada we took every year. The first year he forgot his passport, boots and a blind. I specifically asked him about gun forms and passport when we left that morning. "Yep I've got it." We left him at the border and made him figure it out. He rented a car after he overnighted his passport.

The second year he forgot his ammo and didn't have any gun forms filled out so the border was a nightmare. They aren't all that excited about you playing with your guns in the parking lot to get serial numbers off them. They really don't like printing forms for you either.

The guy was a soup sandwich. I have no idea how he had a job.

The third year he didn't get invited.
I wonder why?

Never forgot ammo. Forgot my release bowhunting once. Got a call at work from a guy who came over to Colorado, killed a great mule deer, drove 8hrs back to Utah then realized he left his rifle leaning against the fence at the trailhead. Called our office in a panic and I drove out there and found his .30-06 still leaning up against the fence. I put it in a box and mailed it back to him.
Well done Sir!

Black Elastic 10 Round Shell holders. For, my 270 Win , One with 10 Loaded Rounds in the large Cabela's travel box with my heavy coat and pants, and Bino's. One with 10 rounds in the box with my boots and scent killer spray bottles, and one more in my back pack . I am 74 now, so it hasn't happened,.......... yet. All my deer hunting clothes and needed stuff goes into the 4 Green bins after washing, and it's sealed up and not used for any upland game hunting in Jan or Feb. By late Feb everything is ready for next November. ( I think)

Being in my 70's, I've forgotten my share…a box of .25-06 ammo on the roof of the truck, my bowhunting release (used to be a glove or hair tab) but I can tell you this - you can get dressed in the dark, walk throughout the woods in the dark, and even set up your position, bow and all. But when the sun rises you will immediately notice that you've forgotten your eyeglasses.

I never forgot my ammo but accidently placed my rifle in the case without the bolt. I didn't realize the error until we arrived at out hunting location. Fortunately, I also had a handgun that was set up for hunting, so the trip wasn't a total loss.

For some reason or another, there's always something that gets left behind. 🤔
Did exactly the same thing. Discovered the mistake after arriving in s. GA from central PA for a hog hunt. Luckily my huntin' partner had a spare rifle and ammo.

Thank you gents for the laugh and bringing back memories. I used to hunt with a group of guys and you would be amazed at how often a box of shells was left at home. It came down the fact that we all kept a box of ammo consisting of 5 of each of 300 WM, 300 WBY, 270 and 308 in each truck. Because it was usually the 1 of 2 guys with the 300 WM and the 308 who would forget their ammo. The one guy would sometimes decide last second to grab a different gun and whoops no WBY ammo.

In general I take 3 guns hunting for each day. Hunt with 1 for 2-3 hrs then the next then the next. If a gun shoots something it goes into one of the safes and its done its job. (Yes i am a gun whore as another guy described himself lol) And I get paranoid about not having ammo. This year I shot a whitetail buck with 6.5 rem mag and the case stuck in the chamber. So second gun came out in 308. It's been the only time I had a gun fail in the field but even then I was like... I only brought 10 rounds for this gun!!! But I should add that if I see a coyote at 500 yards in a field... well I'll make sure that he doesn't have to take a **** for a week because I may not hit him but I'm cutting lose.