Lost My Ammo, Had To Buy Some at Local Store

This was good reading. When I was a biologist in AK I flew back to WI to deer hunt with my dad and brother up at their camp in Crivitz. Stopped at a friends in Sheboygan to visit and it was the last real stop on the way. Asked him where I could buy a deer license. The small grocery was out of non resident licenses. Needless to say that put a damper on the hunting. I also forgot the tent on a family camping trip once here in MT. Up on the Little Blackfoot. Wife was not at all pleased. My two boys and I got to it making a fair lean to Swiss Family style. Unfortunately we saw a black bear tearing rotten logs apart on a short hike and it was hard convincing her to stay. We had two dogs and five pistols but it was the nylon tent I forgot that was supposed to keep us safe.

Its amazing how much 7-08 and .308 look alike!

I accompanied my buddy on a once-in-a-lifetime, non-res New Brunswick moose hunt. The moose season was only 3 days long. Early in the morning we spotted a large moose near the top of a clearcut. We got all set up and he carefully squeezes off a shot from his Sako 300WSM. "CLICK" was all we heard. He was shooting Winchester factory ammo which had black oxide bullets and nickel cases. After a few seconds of bewilderment, he racks in another round and tries again. "CLICK".

His guide walks over and picks up the cartridge that didn't fire and notices that there is a light hit on the primer. He also notices that it is a .308Win cartridge. The same Winchester ammo with black bullet and nickel case, just the wrong cartridge for the 300WSM rifle.

Last edited:
Many years ago I drove from Ca. to Ut. For a deer hunt. Left my tag on dresser at home. Got a duplicate for $5.00 at a gas station. A buddy I used to hunt with a lot always forgot stuff. 🙄It was because he always waited to last day to get his gear ready. I got in the habit of bringing 2 of a lot of things because of him. He's forgot his binos, boots, rangefinder, ammo, food, etc.. He was lucky we both wore size 12 and shot same caliber. To this day when I hunt out of state I take 2 rifles, 2 pairs of Binos, 3 pairs of boots, 4 knives, lots of ammo, etc. and always way to many clothes and too much food. 😁
Sounds to me that this guy would forget his head if it wasn't attached to his neck!!

Im smarter than all you forgetful guys. I use a list. Check stuff off when I go get it. But sometimes I get distracted by ball cap or stocking cap or putting something away on the reloading bench. Forget what I was going to get. Go back to list and "its" already checked off??? Hmmm. Now I check itoff when I go get it and cross the check when I bring it back.

Pretty smart about ammo too. Got my list. I have 50 cal can for fun shoots. Checked each caliber off, and place in can. Double check can when I seal it.

Dark thirty am, went over to buddies. Transfered all the stuff into his camper. He even asked if I had it all looking over the heap of stuff. Pointed to list and empty back end of my Cherokee.

What I DID forget was it was raining when I took the last piece out. Hands full, pouring down rain, hatch back. So I put ammo can on floor in front of passenger seat. In the dark I "overlooked" ammo can on floor in front of passenger seat.

Drove 5 hrs to Boomershoot.....🤯

Then drove 30 minutes back to Orofino found 3 different boxes of .762 and 2 boxes of different weight 6.5CM and drove 30 minutes back up the hill to shoot fest. 🙄

Yeah.smarter than ????.
🤔

This was good reading. When I was a biologist in AK I flew back to WI to deer hunt with my dad and brother up at their camp in Crivitz. Stopped at a friends in Sheboygan to visit and it was the last real stop on the way. Asked him where I could buy a deer license. The small grocery was out of non resident licenses. Needless to say that put a damper on the hunting. I also forgot the tent on a family camping trip once here in MT. Up on the Little Blackfoot. Wife was not at all pleased. My two boys and I got to it making a fair lean to Swiss Family style. Unfortunately we saw a black bear tearing rotten logs apart on a short hike and it was hard convincing her to stay. We had two dogs and five pistols but it was the nylon tent I forgot that was supposed to keep us safe.

More likely that she expected you to stuff up even worse on the next trip, if she did not give you hell, that time around! 

I'm in my late 30s now. So for the last 10 years all my buddies have ( gotten married/divorced, had kids, then more kids, bought houses, remodeled houses, started businesses lost jobs etc...) so every hunt someone forgets something. Last big one was a state of the art Uber custom all carbon rifle chambered in lord knows what kind of wildcat... with a beautiful box of base up primed/trimmed/prepped brass.

I flew 3 hrs in a planes smaller than me with a switch barrel 17 hmr/22 wmr with 50 rounds of 17 and the 22 wmr barrel still on... did a lot of retrieving that week for my friends.

Back in 13' or 14' we lost a ton of ammo going through king salmon. Someone was pilfering it at some point, usually they would take all of one cartridge but not the other, always the more expensive would be gone. Several crewman flew in separate from eachother and all had the valuable stuff disappear (one had 250 rounds of 500, but the 9 mm left) fall of 14 I flew through to king cove and ended up sans 2x box's 300 wsm. By then we were savvy enough to take pictures of the gun case and the ammo in the separate bag. Didn't help recover it but did help us know it was gone not left at home.

That goofy little ac store had maybe 10 flavors of ammo on the shelf and one happened to be 300 wsm. So I sat in the rain for 10 days with a loaded rifle instead of an empty one... so there was some credence to the old adage.

Come to think about it. The 870 have a lock on them. I forgot it one time. Had to into town and get one. Not to long after that I switch to BPM's. Long the action on them too.

I'm in my late 30s now. So for the last 10 years all my buddies have ( gotten married/divorced, had kids, then more kids, bought houses, remodeled houses, started businesses lost jobs etc...) so every hunt someone forgets something. Last big one was a state of the art Uber custom all carbon rifle chambered in lord knows what kind of wildcat... with a beautiful box of base up primed/trimmed/prepped brass.

I flew 3 hrs in a planes smaller than me with a switch barrel 17 hmr/22 wmr with 50 rounds of 17 and the 22 wmr barrel still on... did a lot of retrieving that week for my friends.

Back in 13' or 14' we lost a ton of ammo going through king salmon. Someone was pilfering it at some point, usually they would take all of one cartridge but not the other, always the more expensive would be gone. Several crewman flew in separate from eachother and all had the valuable stuff disappear (one had 250 rounds of 500, but the 9 mm left) fall of 14 I flew through to king cove and ended up sans 2x box's 300 wsm. By then we were savvy enough to take pictures of the gun case and the ammo in the separate bag. Didn't help recover it but did help us know it was gone not left at home.

That goofy little ac store had maybe 10 flavors of ammo on the shelf and one happened to be 300 wsm. So I sat in the rain for 10 days with a loaded rifle instead of an empty one... so there was some credence to the old adage.
Pilfering seems to be common in Alaska. In '86 I was sending ten boxes of my belongings to WI including one filled with 4-5 pistols. I had an FFL and FRL at the time. I insured the box of pistols. That was at the Anchorage Airport Post Office. The I went fall fishing for silvers down on the Cinder River west of Ugashik. The dude at the airport opened the pistol box and helped himself to all of them. By the time I got back from fishing and was reunited with by parcels and discovered the gross theft the post office declared time was up on my new claim. Sorry buster.

Yeah it's a real problem. When the postal tracking started I don't know around 2010 maybe earlier that really helped. Most these villages ugashik included we're served by Pen Air with the mail run and they had individual Freight agents that were supposed to deliver it from the gravel strip to the post office. I'm here to tell you before the tracking was on all the post office Freight pretty much anything the freight person wanted would "never arrive". Must have been 2006 or 2007 there was a big push to try and figure out where all the stuff was going, and it got better. Especially if you had a good agent.

I've had a fair whack of nice stuff dissappear from tsa in and out of those regions. My guess is they are aware of what appears to be paper thin oversight. I've lost ammo, nice knives, and oddly enough my most recent was a very new down jacket that the wife had gotten for me go travel in so I don't look like such a vagabond all the time. Peeled it off in the terminal as it was -22 where I was and 30 in town, it made it in my bag but not to anchorage. It's just an un official tax on rural travel. First time in 7 years I'd had something go missing, but it doesn't take many bad apples and with the labor shortage it must be hard to find good agents.

Only one that really made me mad was in the early 2000s, fished on a good Boat. We had a heck of a year and the captain had purchased us domestic made benchmades and had the year boat name and lbds caught laser etched on the blade, and gave them to us with a 1k bonus tucked in the case it came in. I ended up riding a boat to King Cove as the captain offered to pay me to ride along and for a free flight South, too young whippersnapper an extra $1,000 and free tickets sounded great. When I transitioned in King Salmon that knife got tucked into the top of my seabag so I could go through jet TSA before flying south. Unsurprisingly the knife did not make it in the suitcase down south. Of all the things that have been a "security risk" and freed itself from my suitcase, that's the one that ticks me off.

Back in the day when Indiana only allowed slug guns and muzzleloaders for deer hunting, I bought a Knight muzzleloader that used those orange discs for the 209 primers.
Drove 2 hours down to southern Indiana one early morning, got up in the tree and when it hit legal shooting hours I looked in my muzzleloader pack for the discs. Crap!!! No discs.
That was a long wasted day….