Lost My Ammo, Had To Buy Some at Local Store

Dean2

I see and hear this comment about forgetting ammo all the time. Just saw it on another, what cartridge to build thread. In 55 years of hunting this has NEVER happened to me, or to anyone I know. Even on fly in hunts I have never lost my ammo, though I do pack ammo into three different spots in case some luggage gets lost. How many of you have personally had to buy ammo at a local store because you forgot or lost your hand loads?

Well, that was me unfortunately one year. I got in a hurry to leave due to working late. Even after I swear I checked at least 4 times I forgot my ammo for my 300 win. I use the excuse I was working long hours leading up to my trip but it was 100% my fault. Local sporting goods store had 1 box of Remington 165 gr. Didn't shoot bad but limited my range cause I didn't really know the round. I did find 2 loose rounds in my pickup from the year prior which made my day! Now, I always have an ammo can in the trailer, bandolier in my pickup and in my pack. Check at least 3x a year and before I hitch up too!

A guy hunting with me on guided hunt forgot his 338WM ammo and found out when went to public range couple days before riding up to base camp. What a CF searching every store in Durango and found 2 boxes reloads in a hole in wall store. Different bullet weights. Turned out ok since he had 300 yd limit. Even then a stretch.

Haha, same guy left his rifle leaning against tree at a rest and didn't realize until back to horse bivouac. So my guide and I had tied up same place but hunted 180 away. So there we waited with him while guide went back in dark to grab it. Fun time in meal tent when we got back.

I spent a lot of years moving hunters. In the end I learned to make them show me their ammo first. That and I checked all their rifles for loaded rounds!!
I've seen lots of hunters forget ammo!
the other common problem was they would want to verify scope but only have enough rounds to hunt🤷🏻‍♂️🤷🏻‍♂️

No to the ammo, and I've flown multiple times to go hunting. But, I have forgotten on 2 different occasions my release when bow hunting. First time I tried just shooting with fingers but limited myself to 20 yds. I missed a doe at like 12 yds, shot 2-3 ft over her back. Second time was spot and stock antelope. Popped over a hill, 5 bucks feeding out in front of me. Reached down to clip my release onto the D loop and nothing was on my wrist! Didn't even try then. Made the long drive back to camp with my tail between my legs.

I spent a lot of years moving hunters. In the end I learned to make them show me their ammo first. That and I checked all their rifles for loaded rounds!!
I've seen lots of hunters forget ammo!
the other common problem was they would want to verify scope but only have enough rounds to hunt🤷🏻‍♂️🤷🏻‍♂️
I too guided for a while. I saw guided hunters do many, many things that most would never believe but I honestly never had one show up without ammo. Now, to be clear, as bad as some of these guys shot no amount of ammo was enough and shooting ammo off the shelf would not have been a handicap either. 🦍:)

I too guided for a while. I saw guided hunters do many, many things that most would never believe but I honestly never had one show up without ammo. Now, to be clear, as bad as some of these guys shot no amount of ammo was enough and shooting ammo off the shelf would not have been a handicap either. 🦍:)
My job was bringing hunters to the guides!!!
I always made them show me their ammo. It certainly wasn't common but it definitely happened! We tried to take care of problems for you guys!!! I'd say 3-4 times I saw it

Never forgot ammo. Forgot my release bowhunting once. Got a call at work from a guy who came over to Colorado, killed a great mule deer, drove 8hrs back to Utah then realized he left his rifle leaning against the fence at the trailhead. Called our office in a panic and I drove out there and found his .30-06 still leaning up against the fence. I put it in a box and mailed it back to him.

I never forgot my ammo but accidently placed my rifle in the case without the bolt. I didn't realize the error until we arrived at out hunting location. Fortunately, I also had a handgun that was set up for hunting, so the trip wasn't a total loss.

For some reason or another, there's always something that gets left behind. 🤔

Last edited: