Loosing the thrill of the hunt?

500mag_guy

This year I was blessed with another very successful season. I hunted hard and put a ton of miles on the heal toe express but with a full freezer it was all worth it!

This year I had drawn an elk B tag and was lucky enough to fill both my B tag and my general elk license and with a little more luck, out of the same group of elk.

Myself and a very good friend had made it to the top of a ridge where we had spotted elk from earlier that week. Within an hour of glassing I had spotted one lone spike bull feeding into an opening out of thick timber. I ranged him at 754 yards and dialed accordingly. He was angling away from me so I steadied up for a neck shot. I squeezed off and watched as the bullet went right over his neck. I dropped another round into my rifle and to my surprise he was still standing there, I held for a heart shot and touched off. He dropped immediately then got back up and made three steps then down for good. Just as I stood up my buddy who was spotting for me said here they come!! I look back over in the direction of my spike and here comes the rest of the group boiling out of the trees. I got back down and ranged where a group of cows were heading. 648 yards, i readjusted and waited. The lead cow came into the opening and stopped looking back. I held for her neck and touched off. She dropped like a ton of bricks! My buddy and I hooted and high fived then started our journey over to them. 5 hours later we had them loaded up and headed for home.

As we were headed for my place he asked me, Do you still have the thrill of the hunt when you can shoot like that? I immediately answered hell yes! It's an incredible experience to be able to shoot that far accurately! He said ok and that was the end of it.

Later in the season I had found a deer at 450 yards away I dialed my scope and placed the crosshairs on his neck. Just as I was getting ready to touch off, my friends words went through my mind... After a few minutes of arguing with myself in my head I decided that maybe it was time to let the animal have the advantage. I walked back down to the truck and put my rifle back in my rig and headed after him with my pistol, a 500 s&w that I carry for bear protection. Once I was on the same hill side as the buck I drew my pistol and eased my way though the downed timber. I spotted him then drew free hand for the shot. I touched off and he jumped then took off into the trees. I ranged to where he was standing at 74 yards then gave him a few minutes as I was unsure where exactly I had hit him due to shooting with open sights without a spotter. I walked up to where he was standing and there he was 30 yards into the trees piled up behind a downed tree. I had hit him mid brisket on the right side and it exited right behind the shoulder on the left side. What an incredible experience!

After this experience I asked myself, Am I loosing the thrill of the hunt by being able to look at a screen that tells me exactly what I need to do to hit exactly where I am aiming?

I have yet to be able to answer this question for myself but my question to everyone else is: Do you think you've lost that thrill of the hunt after practicing year round at long range, fine tuning your rifle, loads and getting to know your rifle inside and out?

Thanks for reading, Eric

image.jpg

No. I'm always trying to do something different, or trying to do it someplace new, or take someone that it's all new for.

A Black Bear by predator calling is still on my list. Maybe a Grizzly some day. Lot's of ways to keep it challenging.

Do you think you've lost that thrill of the hunt after practicing year round at long range, fine tuning your rifle, loads and getting to know your rifle inside and out?

Thanks for reading, Eric

What do you do when your battery dies? Being able to conduct manual computations, old school, is my therapy. I will use electronic methods as primary but will back up with manual methods. Try "long range" practice with no electronics. Do you lose interest? I practice long using electronic and manual methods. 10 out of 10 shots to vital sized targets during practice is still my goal. Give electronics "the boot" while keeping all shots in the vitals. Give it a try as an alternative. As a long answer to your question, no I do not lose thrill knowing I can use manual methods. Solely pressing buttons, used for convenience of speed and accuracy, does little for me without the understanding of manual methods behind the button should the battery die.

Personally, I think each person finds satisfaction in something individual unto themselves. Obviously, something in you decided it was time to try something different, and there you go! I believe that's why some of my buddies now bow hunt... And were it not for a rotor cuff issue, I would too. But I find that I love predator hunting, yotes specifically. It's added another layer to my hunting repertoire that gets my blood running. I'm going to get a mt. Lion tag this next couple of weeks... No dogs, just me and the cat. Even thinking about it gets my heart beating!

Sometimes you just gotta shake it up. Nothing wrong with taking a long shot and testing the skills you've aquired through hard work, especially if it fills the freezer, but also nothing wrong with trying something new!

Good on you man! Well done! Hope you can continue to find ways to make hunting fun and interesting!

Personally, I think each person finds satisfaction in something individual unto themselves. Obviously, something in you decided it was time to try something different, and there you go! I believe that's why some of my buddies now bow hunt... And were it not for a rotor cuff issue, I would too. But I find that I love predator hunting, yotes specifically. It's added another layer to my hunting repertoire that gets my blood running. I'm going to get a mt. Lion tag this next couple of weeks... No dogs, just me and the cat. Even thinking about it gets my heart beating!

Sometimes you just gotta shake it up. Nothing wrong with taking a long shot and testing the skills you've aquired through hard work, especially if it fills the freezer, but also nothing wrong with trying something new!

Good on you man! Well done! Hope you can continue to find ways to make hunting fun and interesting!

Oh I still get a racing heart beat every time I get behind my rifle when out hunting and an adrenaline high every single time I see an animal fall. I was just curious how others reacted after many years of practice and hunting longe range.

Couple days ago I hunted all day for coyotes and didn't have any luck, until the last spot I went to glass over. Spotted a badger at 1/2 to 3/4 mile away and made a beeline staright to him. Got setup at 460 ds. away (lasered, of course), and hit him 3 times in a row with my AR and finally killed him, skinned him and he's on a stretcher now drying. Long shots but still thrilling when coupled with spot and stalk.

Couple years ago I passed up a bugling bull elk to try and shoot a marmot with my recurve (thought it'd be more fun...at the time).

Last spring I took pics whilst my nephew shot rats in a dump recycling shed in the Philippines at night with a put-together 22 air pistol/2X Swift and mini torchlight I procured from a guy in Mindanao.

Sometimes you just got to shake things up a bit it seems to add some spice to the mix.

This year I was blessed with another very successful season. I hunted hard and put a ton of miles on the heal toe express but with a full freezer it was all worth it!

This year I had drawn an elk B tag and was lucky enough to fill both my B tag and my general elk license and with a little more luck, out of the same group of elk.

Myself and a very good friend had made it to the top of a ridge where we had spotted elk from earlier that week. Within an hour of glassing I had spotted one lone spike bull feeding into an opening out of thick timber. I ranged him at 754 yards and dialed accordingly. He was angling away from me so I steadied up for a neck shot. I squeezed off and watched as the bullet went right over his neck. I dropped another round into my rifle and to my surprise he was still standing there, I held for a heart shot and touched off. He dropped immediately then got back up and made three steps then down for good. Just as I stood up my buddy who was spotting for me said here they come!! I look back over in the direction of my spike and here comes the rest of the group boiling out of the trees. I got back down and ranged where a group of cows were heading. 648 yards, i readjusted and waited. The lead cow came into the opening and stopped looking back. I held for her neck and touched off. She dropped like a ton of bricks! My buddy and I hooted and high fived then started our journey over to them. 5 hours later we had them loaded up and headed for home.

As we were headed for my place he asked me, Do you still have the thrill of the hunt when you can shoot like that? I immediately answered hell yes! It's an incredible experience to be able to shoot that far accurately! He said ok and that was the end of it.

Later in the season I had found a deer at 450 yards away I dialed my scope and placed the crosshairs on his neck. Just as I was getting ready to touch off, my friends words went through my mind... After a few minutes of arguing with myself in my head I decided that maybe it was time to let the animal have the advantage. I walked back down to the truck and put my rifle back in my rig and headed after him with my pistol, a 500 s&w that I carry for bear protection. Once I was on the same hill side as the buck I drew my pistol and eased my way though the downed timber. I spotted him then drew free hand for the shot. I touched off and he jumped then took off into the trees. I ranged to where he was standing at 74 yards then gave him a few minutes as I was unsure where exactly I had hit him due to shooting with open sights without a spotter. I walked up to where he was standing and there he was 30 yards into the trees piled up behind a downed tree. I had hit him mid brisket on the right side and it exited right behind the shoulder on the left side. What an incredible experience!

After this experience I asked myself, Am I loosing the thrill of the hunt by being able to look at a screen that tells me exactly what I need to do to hit exactly where I am aiming?

I have yet to be able to answer this question for myself but my question to everyone else is: Do you think you've lost that thrill of the hunt after practicing year round at long range, fine tuning your rifle, loads and getting to know your rifle inside and out?

Thanks for reading, Eric
Well done and well written.

I agree, the thrill is still there, heck I still get buck fever anytime a big mature buck is sighted.

I too have made a couple of good long range kills with a both my 6.5" 44mag and 5" .41 and 45LC.

Fifty yards with a pistol, a hundred or a thousand with a rifle, the thrill of the hunt is as strong with me today as it was 45 years ago when I shot my first duck.

If hunting is truly "in your blood" I'm not sure that the thrill can be lost. But in my experience, the people that i have known that lost the "thrill" may not have been hunters in the first place. For me the motivation of extending my effective range today with a 1000 yard rig is not much different than my mounting a scope on my 22rf single shot rifle 50 years ago at 13 years old. I could improve my chances(and the challenge) of getting my quarry but it makes little difference to me whether I get my game at 50 yards or 1000 yards. When the day comes and I'm taking my last breath, I will know that my best buck is still out there...

Yup...my best buck is still out there. In fact, so is my best Antelope, best Bull elk, best Mountain Lion, best Desert Bighorn Ram, best Turkey, best Coyote....... well, it looks like my best thrill is still out there waiting for me as well.

I find satisfaction in a well executed long range shot, but if I didn't KNOW I was gonna make it I won't take it so no for me there isn't exactly a thrill or surprise at having made the shot. But I'll admit I don't enjoy hunting as much as some people, I just like to put meat in the freezer. It's not really a game to me, and of course I have no illusions that the deer I shoot really have a chance. even when I bow hunt, I mean really, how hard is it? I dont get buck fever, but it is very satisfying to practice a skill set that lets you eat even if the game is way out there. That being said, I don't get too many long range hunting shots here in Ky. This year was 410 yards, and that's about as far as you'll get usually around here.
I think there would have to be an element of danger to me before it got exciting.
What I enjoy, and what gets me going though, is the excitement my kids get. Their excitement is contagious and makes it more fun for me than shooting the worlds best trophy with a perfect shot from a mile. So if you are looking to put something into your hunt to ratchet it up a little, take a kid hunting!

No, I don't lose the thrill of the hunt with today's advanced technical equipment. The "hunt", for me, is finding the game I truly want to take; not just filling a tag with something that qualifies under the rules. That means treking through the woods and over barren hillsides. Peering through a driving rain to locate that buck I jumped just a mile or so back but didn't see soon enough because of the rain or fog. Climbing rock faces and tempting the edges of steep cliffs. Locating and stalking the game to within a distance that matches my ability to make an accurate shot at a unique elevation, angle or weather condition that I must consider when calculating the shot. Which sometimes requires days of patience.
For me, the thrill of the hunt is not in the kill, it's in the search.

I have to agree. My thrill is just to hunt. Do I get buck fever anymore. I do but it takes a big bull or buck to do it and I'll be honest I just don't seem to encounter them very often nowadays. But I still enjoy the time in the woods and time scouting and practicing. The heart pumping adrenaline I used to get is still there it just takes more bone to activate it nowadays .

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.