Loosing the thrill of the hunt?

Ok. If it makes anyone feel better to think you are being fair with your high power binoculars, 1000 yard rifles, 300 fos razor blade flinging compound bows, using tactics developed by brains many times the intelligence level of our quarry then go ahead. I don't see a need to justify myself or pretend they have a chance. Out of respect for life I kill as cleanly as I can but I personally think the whole fair chase argument is for non hunters, or people who feel guilty or squeamish about it. It wouldn't be fair if we had nothing but spears. We would still figure out how to kill and eat quite handily and there is nothing wrong with it.
If you got caught out without a weapon by a grizzly, he won't think " is this fair since I outweigh him seven times", he will just eat you, it is just survival for him. We are fortunately in a situation where hunting has become sport because most of us can survive without it by buying meat at the store which was bred, born, and raised to be slaughtered. Nobody gives fair chase a thought when they pick up that styrofoam tray.
It isn't a moral issue, it is a purely a practical one. We have hunting rules to manage the harvest to endure future opportunities to hunt. Which is smart, because I want my kids to be able to enjoy nature as I have.

500 MAG Guy
I do not think you can loose the hunting thrill, I just push my self for hard targets.
Hunting on days when the weather is against you, going for that really long shot.

Keep hunting it keeps you at heart and mind.

Have a good hunt.

Thanks

Evans 314

MMERSS
I agree with many of your statements. One of my LR thrills and reservations is in the few seconds before the shot. When the animal is in the scope unaware of what is about to transpire, can I do my part and make a clean shot placement ?? Can I do justice and give respect to this animal as it is incapable of knowing the impending situation ? Will a wind change or other variable cause a non fatal wound rather than a clean miss?? I have many reservations before the shot . Even when I do my part will it be a clean result??

Zeeman

Zeeman,

Indeed this is an interesting topic and discussion. As you well know, the questions you pose tie accuracy with precision. The art of uncertainty analysis is additionally a skill of true long range marksmanship. Being able to predict an outcome with a barrage of uncertainties is too often a topic of least discussion. Yet this skill predicts certainty or uncertainty, success or the probability of failure. Uncertainty analysis, the ability to estimate and apply the uncertainties, is another form of determining a maximum effective range. Technology can be both an enabler and a crutch with this endeavor.

So what does this have to do with interest in a hunt? I will leave this question with a series of questions. If your muzzle velocity is 10fps below average what is your predicted outcome based off range? If you have a 1MPH error in full value cross wind uncertainty what is your predicted outcome based off range? These are some of the many questions flying through my mind before a decision is made to make a shot. Precision analysis. Uncertainty analysis. Skills necessary for repeated success of the long range hunter and what peeks my interest in this venue of hunting. Technology only plays a partial role with this endeavor. My mind should never be idle.

500mag_guy,

On a hunt several years ago as I was trying to sneak up on an unsuspecting deer I looked to my right and there's one watching me. I wondered how long it was watching me before it got up. I assumed it was not startled so I took all the time I needed to sit down and get a really good hold. The crosshair didn't move so I squeezed the trigger; only to hear a very loud report and feel like I got hammered by the recoil of a .300 Magnum. The bullet hit right below the chin where I was aiming.

I haven't lost the thrill of the hunt, but I do have a brake on the magnum and use electronic earmuffs.

Mmerss I think you may be interested in the shot analysis that is in one of the new Bryan Litz ballistic solvers. It allows you to input uncertainty values for the ballistic variables and it calculates the probability of hitting a target of a certain size. For instance, you could input that your are able to call the wind to within 2.5 mph, have a muzzle velocity uncertainty of 15 fps, and are shooting a ten inch target at 800 yRds. It will then calculate a percentage for that shot. Pretty cool, and also good for learning how each variable affects hit percentage.

Merry Christmas all!!

Mmerss I think you may be interested in the shot analysis that is in one of the new Bryan Litz ballistic solvers. It allows you to input uncertainty values for the ballistic variables and it calculates the probability of hitting a target of a certain size. For instance, you could input that your are able to call the wind to within 2.5 mph, have a muzzle velocity uncertainty of 15 fps, and are shooting a ten inch target at 800 yRds. It will then calculate a percentage for that shot. Pretty cool, and also good for learning how each variable affects hit percentage.

Merry Christmas all!!

Merry Christmas KYpatriot,

I usually use a field expedient method of determining Maximum Effective Range. This past hunting season I used AB Analytics as you described. This is one advancement in technology that should be in every long range hunter's bag if they do not use any other methods. The current program could use some updates for those that use yards as a measurement for range. Currently the program uses meters as an output. This is a great program to examine how shot percentage changes with uncertainties.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.