Choice of rifle was perfect for the aoudad hunt

huntem

To say that I am happy would be an under statement. Here is a pic of my aoudad that I shot this past Sunday south of Balmorhea Tx on the McKnight ranch (FREE RANGE NO FENCES). The 300 ultra worked flawlessly with 180gr Nosler BT at 270 yards off my stoney point shooting sticks. Bases of 15" and horn length of 32 3/4" - 33". Truely a very special hunt and animal for me. I hope you enjoy.

388952.jpg

Congratulations. Beautiful Aoudad. How are you planning on getting it mounted? I think they look the best with the front half mounted.

Gene Cole III

[ QUOTE ]
Congratulations. Beautiful Aoudad. How are you planning on getting it mounted? I think they look the best with the front half mounted.

Gene Cole III

[/ QUOTE ]

Part of my problem is that most of the 1/2 mounts are without any head turn? Suggestions?

Nice Barbary, his horns are almost grown to toutch in the middle.
Most decent Taxidermists can easily put a slight turn on a form.
However most good ones can alter a form to whatever you want. I know one guy that could probably make your sheep courtsey if you wanted.
I'd say call your taxidermist and talk to him about turning the head for you.

huntem,

Congratulations on your Aoudad. I agree, the RUM's are hammers. (I have a 338 RUM).
As for a mount, most good taxidermist can modify a form to give the desired pose. Talk to a few so you can get a good idea of your options.

JD338

Can you say of your hunt cost over $2500 ? I've been looking for a sheep hunt on the cheap for quite a while, but most ranchers in West Texas know there is a market for almost anything.

[ QUOTE ]
Can you say of your hunt cost over $2500 ? I've been looking for a sheep hunt on the cheap for quite a while, but most ranchers in West Texas know there is a market for almost anything.

[/ QUOTE ]

Jesse Jaymes,
Why not hunt free ranging Barbary in New Mexico? Non-resident tag is $360 and the hunt dates for the good Barbary areas is Feb. 1-28, 2007. I have hunted them here several times and have never had a problem finding sheep. I HAVE had a problem, however, getting within a mile of them after we found them. They are one reason I am starting to stretch my shooting distance out to past 500 yards. I have passed on sheep at the 750 to 1000 yard range hoping to get closer. Every time, something has happened and the sheep got away. Once I get my confidence up at those ranges and I get one of Kirby's creations, them sheep better look out /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif BTW, that is a great ram there, huntem! Congrats!

Dog Caller-

I just moved from New Mexico. I lived there for 8 years. I never got over to the SE corner to scout for sheep and never went. I still have lots of friends there. I was going to hunt this last month. I applied for a job to move back to NM, and passed on the opportunity to hunt. My buddy went and never saw a live sheep. He hunted real hard, but only for 3 1/2 days. I doubt you are going to reveal a honey hole to me, but how many sheep (rams, ewes, in all) would you expect to see in a 5 day week.

The Hondo Valley is all private and those guys are charging $3000 as well. Heard they have herds of 50-100 on private land though.

Didn't intend to hijack. Nice sheep. Actually a great one for a free range critter.

Sorry to hijack your post here---Jesse, I sent email to the address in your profile. I'll send it again, honey holes included

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry for taking so long to get back. I've been working with getting a new PC up and running. The cost of the hunt was $2500. That figure is a little low as I have hunted several times with the outfitter so you would be looking a little more. Exactly how much more, I am not sure. I am a no frills hunter and I don't need to be tended to hand and foot.

If interested by anyone, drop me a line and I can get you in contact with the owner/outfitter/guide. Joe is not a booking agent. He will be with you from the time you get off the plane till you depart for home.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.