Stock Choice for hunting rifle

If ur main concern is too much room you could always carefully wrap the barrel in tape then bed the forestock, remove tape, you have a close fit free floated stock. But the compound will add weight to it.
That is what I was thinking just was trying to figure out how much the bedding material would add for weight??? Maybe 2-3 oz

That is what I was thinking just was trying to figure out how much the bedding material would add for weight??? Maybe 2-3 oz
You could thicken the tape on the bottom of the barrel then taper or thin the tape on each edge, giving the appearance of a tight barrel while leaving lots of free float room on the bottom and minimizing your compound

I have not read the entire thread.

I have a short action R700 with a fluted Bartlein 3b. it is in a Manners EH3 with the mini-chassis. The gunsmith who did the work, just dropped it in and bolted it up. I have not taken it out to see if he skim bedded it at all.

The 3b is free-floated. You might check bullets.com as they have a basic selection of manners in-stock. They have hunter and some tactical styles. The EH2/3 are both suitable for up to a bartlein #4.

The only thing that I don't 'like' about mine is that it came with a 1/2" pad instead of a 1" pad.

I've got two manners elite stocks with their mini chassis with stiller tac 300s and a proof sendero barrel. The t4a fits like normal and the forend is super thick. The other is an manners mcs eh2 elite with bdl mini chassis, there is not much room on the sides but I've never had a problem with flex. If you want to shoot me an email I'll send you pictures. I'm actually going to sell that stock if your interested as well.

I'm sorry for the confusion I was taking about the amount of the stock remaining after inletting for a large barrel. A stock with a thin forend will have much less stock remaining than a stock with say a 2.5" forend. Manners has a technical sheet that explains recommend barrel contours on each of the their stocks. Buuuuttt I still don't want to much so space between my hunting rifle barrels and the stocks for cosmetic reasons ;)

The McMillan Hunter and Bartlien #3 is a great fit. The Remington Hunter is a better match with anything larger. I had a #4 Brux stuffed in a Sako Hunter and I wish I wouldnt have.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts