Looking for some input and ideas for daughters first rifle.

Thinking of building my baby girl a bolt gun to hunt and learn with. I'm after low recoil more than a distance requirement. Mostly for Texas/Nm deer, antelope, coyotes, and some pigs. It'll be a switch barrel on an existing Rem 700 short action I have. First barrel will be .223 Wilde.

Second barrel- I'm debating between 300 Blackout, 6.5 Grendel, or 6.8 Spc. Any input is appreciated.

The interesting thing about the Grendel is that the Grendel is incredibly easy on barrels.

That, coupled with low recoil and excellent accuracy means that she will likely still be using it for hunts when she turns 90.

At three years old it's hard to find a good fitting rifle . It sounds to me that you have a few that would do just fine by her as she grows into them , and that doesn't take very long seems like almost over night . When she gets older she will have been taught about different offerings and will have been around them enough to be able to let you know what she wants to try just so it fits her well for her size , in my thoughts , is the main thing to look at LOP ect. .

I have 3 25/20s R.C.. I still don't know why they can have some of
the most exotic calibers known to man and stopped making 25/20 brass
or loaded. Anyhow I have a Granddaughter and I'm always amazed at
how she views recoil. What I think is nothing she thinks is heavy recoil.
I started my G.D. with a chipmonk then I went to a 7mm/08 and she
didn't like the recoil. Yet she shoots trap with a BT-99 in 12 gauge.
She is now shooting a .243 and likes. it.
Zeke

Thinking of building my baby girl a bolt gun to hunt and learn with. I'm after low recoil more than a distance requirement. Mostly for Texas/Nm deer, antelope, coyotes, and some pigs. It'll be a switch barrel on an existing Rem 700 short action I have. First barrel will be .223 Wilde.

Second barrel- I'm debating between 300 Blackout, 6.5 Grendel, or 6.8 Spc. Any input is appreciated.
I'm a big 6.5 Grendel fan. It's low low recoil, fun to shoot and done right it will reach 1000. Whatever your choice as long as it's fun to shoot you have a winner.

I like your thinking, I'm in a similar situation and doing similar things. I have a daughter that is 7 one that is 3 and a son that is 1.5 lol. Anyway I started my oldest hunting with me when she was 4. Last year at age six I got her a mentor doe tag and took her out shooting. I used a Remington 700 .223 in a chassis with the AR style but stock collapsed all the way and it fit her well. The recoil was no problem, but the weight of the rifle was way more than she could manage. I had to carry and set up the rifle in the prone position for her to get behind and shoot. I wanted her to be able to do more than pull the trigger so I started thinking the same thoughts you are having about recoil. In a small light rifle recoil can be shocking for a small young shooter. I started with a 22-250 and 55gr bullets. I cut the barrel down to 18" and the stock down to fit and added a cheek rest. The rifle is still too heavy but much more manageable. However the recoil is still stout for a kid. The first shot she immediately got up and started rubbing her shoulder. She is going to have to suffer with it this season, but next year I'm changing over to 6mmbr. I bought a used 243 barrel to save money on this experiment and am having the chamber removed and barrel recut to 6mm BR. The beauty of the BR is it uses a .308 bolt face. It is essentially the same case as a 6.5 Grendel but with a standard bolt face diameter. I love the idea of a Grendel bolt gun, but the odd bolt face is a problem unless you don't care about buying a $300 bolt from PTG and waiting forever to get it.

If it will fit your action, .257 Roberts would be ideal.

As stated above the bolt thing is a pain especially with the 7.62x39, PPC type cases...

I started my kiddos on a TC contender in a 300 blackout..suppressed, good trigger, single shot...accurate. I put a M-4 style adjustable buttstock a really easy shooting adjustable set up...and with a 130 grain Barnes...deadly out to 150..our max range to start out...

As they grew, I bought my daughter a Savage lady hunter, in 6.5 creedmoor...she is 12..big for her age but shoots it well...we also have a short action 6.5 creedmoor on a manners CS..my wife and both kids like to shoot it too..especially off a Tirpod with a pigsaddle on it...

I'd suggest A encore/contender...or aAR in a Grendel...adjustable--easy and fun to shoot...
I built my daughter an AR in 6.5 grendel last year . She loves it. Light recoil and reaches out there pretty good for deer sized game. It's a switch UPPER, lol. We have different uppers like the OP is thinking with the 700 switch barrel. Right now we just have the grendel, 223 wyde ,and 22LR, but I'm thinking about a 350 legend for a future upper build.
So, I'm another vote for the grendel.

Last edited:
I wouldn't rule out a 243, 260 or 7-08 ( all 308 based cases) and start with H4895 reduced loads. Google Hodgdon/Winchester reduced youth loads.

Those are pussycats to shoot with light bullets and are very accurate. Have loaded them for friends grandkids in 243 and 7-08. Antelope, Deer and Elk did NOT like them. As your daughter grows you can work into full power loads and have a lifetime cartridge.

Oh, a 223 is wonderful to start with also for high volume, inexpensive practice; however for hunting I d have the 243, 260 or 7-08 around for game. Good luck.

I have a friend up here in north Idaho who has a Remington 700 243 all custom and dialed in to 1000. He wants to sell it if you are interested pm me I can get you his contact info. He know his stuff I bought a 6.5-284 of his it's a shooting machine!!

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.