first rifle build...ideas??

chuckkllr2

Hi everyone, I am about to embark on a first. I currently have a stock Savage 111 chambered in 30-06 and am going to have a 6.5-284 Norma built on that action. Here's the plan : (feel free to opine and give suggestions)
I already have a bartlein barrel in 6.5 with a 1 in 8 twist and it's a #3 contour.
I also have a Holland recoil lug.
Now, here's where it gets tricky.... I'm debating about whether to put a muzzle brake on it or not, as I'm not sure if it'll affect performance in a negative way. I'm going to have it set up to shoot 140 gr berger hunting vld's as close to the lands as possible.....Any input will be greatly appreciated as I'm going to drop it all off at the smith this coming week... Thanks!

Hi everyone, I am about to embark on a first. I currently have a stock Savage 111 chambered in 30-06 and am going to have a 6.5-284 Norma built on that action. Here's the plan : (feel free to opine and give suggestions)
I already have a bartlein barrel in 6.5 with a 1 in 8 twist and it's a #3 contour.
Now, here's where it gets tricky.... I'm debating about whether to put a muzzle brake on it or not, as I'm not sure if it'll affect performance in a negative way. I'm going to have it set up to shoot 140 gr berger hunting vld's as close to the lands as possible.....Any input will be greatly appreciated as I'm going to drop it all off at the smith this coming week... Thanks!

I forgot to add that the plan is for the barrel to have a 26" finished length and the gun itself will reside in a bell and carlson medalist stock. I plan to use it on everything from eastern whitetails and varmints to antelope, mule deer, and elk. I'm tentatively going to load retumbo or h4831sc in it.. I'm open to suggestions/ideas..Thanks!

Welcome to LRH and enjoy!

Excellent choice on your 1st build. For that chambering, you don't really need it but IIWY, I'd go ahead have an effective MB (I prefer the ones with no holes at the bottom) while it is being worked on and enjoy all the benefits (except for the blast and noise level but with proper ear protection it's not an issue).

If you have not pick one, there are plenty of excellent choices out there.

Cheers!

Ed

Thank you! I've been perusing this site for a few years now doing research on a few different things. I don't have any specific muzzle brake brands or types in mind, but I'm open to suggestions.
Reason for 6.5-284 is I've already got lapua and nosler brass as well as 140 berger vld's. I already have a factory savage 12 f class that shoots around 7" @ 1000 yds, so I'm fascinated with the performance of the cartridge.
Jeff

I would put a brake on it. I have one on my 6.5-284 and while that cartridge probably doesn't need one, it allows me to see my hits through the scope. I shot a coyote last month at 100 yards and I was able to see the impact on her ribs, watch her spin around and drop on the spot.

I have a Vais on mine but if I will probably swap it out for a port design to prevent it from throwing up dirt.

A properly installed muzzle brake should have zero affect on performance. The best shooting rifle that I own has a brake..........Rich

Thanks all! I am leaning toward the vais, but am open to other ideas. I also want it more for seeing the bullet impact than recoil reduction, although that is a welcome benefit! I'll have to see what for brakes my gunsmith can get when I drop everything off on Tuesday, provided we don't get snowed in by this "blizzard" heading our way!
Jeff

Thanks all! I am leaning toward the vais, but am open to other ideas. I also want it more for seeing the bullet impact than recoil reduction, although that is a welcome benefit! I'll have to see what for brakes my gunsmith can get when I drop everything off on Tuesday, provided we don't get snowed in by this "blizzard" heading our way!
Jeff

If you do not mind debris flying all over when you shoot prone then vais type muzzle brake design is OK, not my preference at all.

What are some of your preferences?
Jeff

Jeff,

I prefer the ones with ports on the sides and top and no holes at the bottom. There are plenty of very effective muzzle brake designs out in the market.

I have the Holland's (http://www.hollandguns.com/) QD (.300 Win Mag), 2 other custom MBs similar to QD but have 4 ports instead of the 3 (.300 Win Mag and .338 Win Mag), JP Enterprise Beenie Cooley (http://www.jprifles.com/1.4.3_tre.php) (.270 AI and .300 Win Mag), and I have Benchmark's tactical mini (Benchmark Barrels - Muzzle Brakes) being installed on my .300 WSM.

Here's a video of my .270 AI with the Beenie Cooley ...

For your consideration JEC's Assassin, CSR's muscle brakes (Center Shot Rifles - Products / Sales - Muzzle Brakes), SSG's (Straight Shot Gunsmithing), just to name a few ... I'm sure others will chime in.

Good luck!

Ed

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm a huge fan of our "miller" breaks, they just seem to work great. And we have them coming in Ti :D
Chris
Benchmark

Thanks for the help everyone! I dropped it off at the smith yesterday and showed him a few pictures of the brakes I was considering, of the style you all preferred, and he's going to build one for my gun. I'll have to post pics of it when it's done!

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.