First rifle build

Way outside of the box here but- I wonder if I could use the CZ 557 action I have? It's a long action standard bolt face. The action is already in a Manners stock.

Anyone every heard of someone using one of those actions to build off of? Could I have the bolt face opened up or find a cartridge that interests me that would function in a standard bolt face. Maybe 6.5-284 or .284.

What is your intended use of the rifle? Shooting steel ,hunting, or both? If hunting what do you hunt? And how far do you carry your rifle? 1/2 mile or 5 miles
Lee-

Good questions, I will use it primarily to hunt. 2-3 miles is probably average. Lots of tree stand time that's why I'm thinking shorter is better. There will be some night time coyote hunting and those hikes can be long with a lot of gear.

I have a lot of rifles in my case and I have been pushing around the idea of building on one action with several different barrels to swap out for various types of game and shooting. I am looking at the Terminus Zeus Quick Change feature, no need for barrel vise or action wrench, spin on and off and use the set screws. I would get it in a long action, I would use Hawkins M5 Hunter bottom metal, the Hunter DBM in Long Action, you can buy the L/A spacer kit and run a 6.5 PRC, 7SAUM, 300 WSM. If you want to run a 300 PRC or any other non belted magnum you can take out the spacer kit or purchase another Hunter DBM. This would give you plenty of space to run the long bullets out to the Lands in the short action calibers. You can purchase pre-fit barrels to change to whatever caliber you want, you have one stock and one scope that you are already familiar with. Just a suggestion to think about.

Way outside of the box here but- I wonder if I could use the CZ 557 action I have? It's a long action standard bolt face. The action is already in a Manners stock.

Anyone every heard of someone using one of those actions to build off of? Could I have the bolt face opened up or find a cartridge that interests me that would function in a standard bolt face. Maybe 6.5-284 or .284.
I'm not familiar with that action. But a 280 AI might work for you. Or go the full custom route. If going short action look into a Wyatt Bayney box I believe it's called. Personally I'd build on a LA for more flexibility to run various cartridges.

I have a lot of rifles in my case and I have been pushing around the idea of building on one action with several different barrels to swap out for various types of game and shooting. I am looking at the Terminus Zeus Quick Change feature, no need for barrel vise or action wrench, spin on and off and use the set screws. I would get it in a long action, I would use Hawkins M5 Hunter bottom metal, the Hunter DBM in Long Action, you can buy the L/A spacer kit and run a 6.5 PRC, 7SAUM, 300 WSM. If you want to run a 300 PRC or any other non belted magnum you can take out the spacer kit or purchase another Hunter DBM. This would give you plenty of space to run the long bullets out to the Lands in the short action calibers. You can purchase pre-fit barrels to change to whatever caliber you want, you have one stock and one scope that you are already familiar with. Just a suggestion to think about.
Just watched the video on the quick change barrel, looks great seems like that is the direction some of the manufacturers are going and I like it. Can you get pre-fit barrels for those?

My story-

So I posted the .270 win thread here and it blew up. That got me shopping for a rifle. I have a safe full of off the shelf rifles. I have dreamed about building a full custom for years. I don't know why but I just never did it.

All the uncertainty kept me from it I guess.
So I was thinking, I could thin the safe and probably come up with more than enough cash to build a rifle. I could sell 4-5 rifles with optics and ammo and have plenty to build on.

Now I'm here thinking about this again. I definitely want something lightweight, short, and handy. I think I want to build a .300 WSM or .270 WSM. Something I can source components and off the shelf ammo for. I own a Wildcat and while I can reload and probably will I don't want to "have" to.
That would be the norm; you know what they say about opinions (Dirty Harry).😇 Building your first custom rifle is exciting. Before jumping into complete custom rifles, I did semi-customs, most DIY budget builds. I do not have a .270 WSM (I have .270 Win and AI), but I have two .300 WSM (24" and 26" barrels) is an excellent chambering choice.
Here is what I'm thinking-
Pierce lightweight action, proof 20inch light Sendero, Manners EH4 stock. Probably a Zeiss optic.

Anyone have advice?
Is this a mistake?
Is there a smith you would recommend? Maybe a cartridge recommendation I haven't considered?
The beauty of building a custom rifle is picking and choosing your component. It's your build; it's your choice. Do not worry about what others think. This is one of the reasons I never ask what rifle to build or buy; I share when it is said and done. But that's just me. Yes. I do extension research on my own. 🤣

Is this a mistake? No, I do not think so. The key is to define your intended purpose and your personal preference. If your choice of SA meets your requirements, go for it. Like @Rick Richard, I, too, prefer LA over SA. The WSM at the 3.2"+ COAL is bad arse.

Is there a smith you would recommend? I am fortunate to have access to many reputable gunsmiths. I have at least 10 within an hour's drive, one of which is 2 miles from my house. I have been working with my go-to GS for 20 years now, and I have been very pleased with all his work. Establishing a good working relationship with your gunsmith is part of the fun.

My GS is only a 20-minute drive away, and I occasionally visit him to see how he is doing with my rifle build. Do you have GS in your local area/distance you are willing to drive to, or do you plan on shipping it to a GS?

a cartridge recommendation I haven't considered? Start with what you have and determine if there is a void/chambering gap you are trying to fill.

Good luck and enjoy!

Ed

I was scrolling around the Sherman website last night a bit. The 7SST looks pretty cool but I just don't have time to spend at the bench reloading. I have 3 kids in sports so most of my time is spent driving to a game, at a game, driving home from a game, mostly something to do with a game lol.

I want something I can run off the shelf ammo in. I do reload and have the equipment but not the time at this stage of life.
Understand! I do have people that will load it, but its not Hornady price!!!

Good questions, I will use it primarily to hunt. 2-3 miles is probably average. Lots of tree stand time that's why I'm thinking shorter is better. There will be some night time coyote hunting and those hikes can be long with a lot of gear.
^^For this^^. I'd consider building a short barreled 7Saum suppressed rifle. They can still be handy. Waaay more fun than a 20" 300 WSM with or without a brake, I had one. ( LOUD !! ) ( ICK !! )

X3 on 280AI if you have this action in hand already.

Pretty sure the 557 is a push-feed so there is a potential issue with the 284 Win case having a rebated rim and not feeding 100%. 280 case won't have that issue.

It's an AI but it's factory supported and you can buy ammo off the shelf.