First rifle build help

I want versatility with low recoil. I also don't want to overlap the 7mm-08 and 308 win as they are very similar already. I was thinking maybe a big 22 or a 6 Creedmoor will fill the gap between the .223 Rem and the 7mm-08. Other option would be to go with a 6.5 PRC or something along those lines.

???

Steve

I want versatility with low recoil. I also don't want to overlap the 7mm-08 and 308 win as they are very similar already. I was thinking maybe a big 22 or a 6 Creedmoor will fill the gap between the .223 Rem and the 7mm-08. Other option would be to go with a 6.5 PRC or something along those lines.

???

Steve
If you want true versatility and low recoil your going to have to overlap your 7mm-08. 6mms and 22s aren't really what I'd call vesatile. They're really good at varmint hunting and competitive shooting. 6mm would be fine if just whitetails were on the menu. I'm sure 6mm would work on mules but I'd feel more comfortable with a 6.5. If your really wanting versatility and not overlap the 7mm-08, 6.5 prc or 6.5x284 would probably be your best bet. Your going to have to compromise recoil but neither of those should recoil that bad. Especially if this is just a hunting cartridge turning up the heat isn't a bad thing. You can load down to 120s for lighter recoil and load say a 156 bergwr when you go mule hunting.

???

Steve
Maybe try selecting what bullet or bullets you'd like to use at what velocity vs barrel life, that might narrow it down for u

I am looking to do my first rifle build and would like some input from all of you that have experience.

I am a new hand loader. I have a couple Remington LTR's topped with Swarovski Z3's that are extremely accurate (consistently under 1/2" at 100 yards) and a Remington Mountain rifle in 7mm-08 with Leopoldo VX-III 2.5-8x36 that is consistently at 3/4" and under.

Our Wisconsin deer season is only 9 days long. My son and I coyote hunt as much as possible. I would like to hunt western mule deer and antelope (we are mainly archery hunters) with a rifle in the future. So this rifle I want for mule deer down to coyotes. Although I do not shoot long range, I would like it to be capable. I also want the least amount of recoil while still accomplishing quick kills.

I am thinking that it will be a Big Horn Origin action, with H-S stock and bottom metal and Trigger Tech Primary.

22 Creedmoor with 80.5 gr Berger (Bartlein 7.7 twist in 3B or Proof Carbon 8 twist).
OR
6 Creedmoor with 105 gr Berger (Bartlein 7.5 twist in 3B or Proof Carbon 7.5 or 8 twist)
OR
?????

What are your thoughts? I'd like to keep it around $2000 ish without optic.

I'll probably go with a 3-15x44 Leupold VX5HD with Wind Plex.

Thanks
Steve

like the others have said drop the 22. I have a 7 twist 6CM and it shoots everything from 103 to 115 sub MOA. If those are your choices you really only have one choice.

I also have a Swede with an 8 twists that shoots 108 Lapua into one ragged hole. Great on Yotes and deer. With a 6.5 you have the ability to shoot 90-160gr bullets. That's an impressive range. I'd do a 6.5.....260 Rem, CM, or Swede, or even a 6.5-06????

I have a 17SWM, 22's, 22Mag, 220 Swift, 25-05, 6.5x55, 264 WM, 7mm, 7mm Rem Mag, 308 Norma Mag and a 338 WM. Being I have several rifles, I now doing a 6mm-280AI build. I not saying that you build that set up, but I would look at a 6mm in some type of updated case with a faster twist barrel. There a wide range of bullets from 55grs to 115grs. 6mm will work just fine on Deer, Antelope, coyote's, and several other varmints. It should give ranges out to about 1000yds. The long range shooter use this caliber in there shoots. I generally use slower burning powders for my loading so I am going for higher capacity case without having to go to longer bolt. the 700 Long Action (25-06,270,280,30-06 action) serial no. ending with A thru C are good actions, above can be junk. Some of the shorter 6mm cases will work in shorter actions. So the choices are wide open. Hard choices!

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.