First rifle build help

I can get some of the items at a good price, which will allow me to keep budget down and I will be spending $0 on a brake as well. However, you are correct in that $2000 will be minimum more than likely. I am just not into $1200 stocks, etc for my build and I just wanted to keep suggestions with that in mind.

Thanks
Steve

6.5 PRC, Grayboe Terrain stock (2 lbs) and Grayboe bottom metal. Maybe magnum sporter barrel contour if you plan on carrying very much, which you should consider if muley hunting. You will come out with an 8-8.5 lb scoped rifle.
You can load on the lighter side for recoil reduction or beef up a load for Western mule deer... or elk if they ever tempt your pallette.

I put together a rifle for a friends son awhile back origin action 825 mullerworks barrel from bugholes 675 jewell trigger 225 B and C stock 225 hs precision bottom metal and dbm 360 you can save some on the bottom metal and mag but I choose not to so this rifle can be done at 2000 no problem and real easy if you find a used stock and bottom metal on here

Possible look at 25-06 AI would do a lot in deer or Antelope hunting, with coyote hunting. Turn up the twist rate for copper bullets. Hammer is building some very interesting bullets. I haven't use theirs yet, but I have some boxes of their bullets. Rifle is being built presently. I had no problems reaching 500yds with a 25-06 in a 22" barrel from Rem 721 action. I have taken somewhere around 50 deer with that rifle over the years. I change to Bow and elk hunting so the animals taken is way down from it could have been.

I will be spending $0 on a brake as well.

Are you not going to have a brake? I would strongly recommend one. It helps you see hits....access animal condition after shot.

For stocks, Bell and Carlson is about the cheapest. I recommend them. They are a good stiff stock available in custom LOP.

Grayboe makes some really cool stocks at decent prices.

Obviously McMillan and Manners are top price, but the weight time is so long you could get a second job and earn the money for it.

For a real hunting weight trigger, I would look at Timney. I am a trigger snob. The 2.25 lb Timney on my Win 70 is amazing....literally the best feel of any trigger I've pulled....although I have an AR Triggertech Diamond to try out today though! I set it at 2.25lbs because under 2lbs felt too light to hunt with.

I am looking to do my first rifle build and would like some input from all of you that have experience.

I am a new hand loader. I have a couple Remington LTR's topped with Swarovski Z3's that are extremely accurate (consistently under 1/2" at 100 yards) and a Remington Mountain rifle in 7mm-08 with Leopoldo VX-III 2.5-8x36 that is consistently at 3/4" and under.

Our Wisconsin deer season is only 9 days long. My son and I coyote hunt as much as possible. I would like to hunt western mule deer and antelope (we are mainly archery hunters) with a rifle in the future. So this rifle I want for mule deer down to coyotes. Although I do not shoot long range, I would like it to be capable. I also want the least amount of recoil while still accomplishing quick kills.

I am thinking that it will be a Big Horn Origin action, with H-S stock and bottom metal and Trigger Tech Primary.

22 Creedmoor with 80.5 gr Berger (Bartlein 7.7 twist in 3B or Proof Carbon 8 twist).
OR
6 Creedmoor with 105 gr Berger (Bartlein 7.5 twist in 3B or Proof Carbon 7.5 or 8 twist)
OR
?????

What are your thoughts? I'd like to keep it around $2000 ish without optic.

I'll probably go with a 3-15x44 Leupold VX5HD with Wind Plex.

Thanks
Steve
I am doing 4 more this year all most like you and then you can also switch barrels want but the barrels are all proof carbonfiber I do between 4 and 6 a winter uo here with shoulder fits or savage nut system and all are 6.5 prc or 300 win doing a 300 PRC for one man this year you can do them your self and save a lot of time and then you can also do a switch barrels and cals anytime you want

I'm building a 6 Creedmoor now using a 1/7 twist Krieger and Mackbros short action ($575) designed to shoot the 115 Berger hunting bullet. Be careful building a 22 caliber high power rifle as some states require 243 caliber or larger for any big game hunting. 22 high power loads have a tendency to either frag or pencil through due to velocity. Hunting Yotes no big deal but not what you'd want for big game IMO. Also check out the Grayboe Terrain stock, can be had for about $300 and bottom metal by them about $130. I'm using on my 6 Creed the Terrain stock and their bottom metal. My 6 Creedmoor build is going to be a Coues Whitetail or Antelope rig. Good luck!

Last edited:
I'm not sure the 6.5 Creed does anything my 7mm-08 or 308 won't do at practical ranges these will be used and a muzzle break for my style of hunting is not an option. Too many surprise shot opportunities for putting on ear muffs or plugs.

Steve
I think there can be a significant difference between a 6.5 Creedmoor and a 7mm or 308: depends on barrel twist rate, bullet you choose to shoot, distance you expect to hunt Western Mule Deer, and more. Just trying to suggest you might spend some time calculating and shooting, accurately, to targets 500 yards +. Loading your own ammo opens a whole new set of experiences and it could change your choice of a new caliber? Actually you might want to consider the 6mm(.243) caliber: good for deer and antelope to 300 yds, low recoil, fun to shoot paper, and great for coyotes. Good fun building a new and different rifle.
I'm not sure the 6.5 Creed does anything my 7mm-08 or 308 won't do at practical ranges these will be used and a muzzle break for my style of hunting is not an option. Too many surprise shot opportunities for putting on ear muffs or plugs.

Steve

You can do it for around $2k if you stay below 500 on the stock, use a prefit barrel, and put everything together yourself. Lots of companies are making shouldered prefits for the Origin but regular savage style prefits with a nut are generally cheaper. Check out Criterion and talk to James at Northland Shooters Supply. You can get a really nice prefit for a little over 300 from them. May even have a 6 Creed in stock. Also look at the PVA barrel nut or one of bighorn's. They're the best looking ones on the market IMO

Of the two you are looking at, would go with the 6mm creedmoor. I shoot one and have shot coyotes and mule deer with it. We use Barnes lrx. My kids love shooting it as well.

Hi Steve, hope all is good.

A small 6.5 or 6mm cartridge will pretty much overlap your 7mm-08 and 308. With the 7mm-08 and a 168gr VLDH you'll be good past 600 yds. Now if you want something for longer range I would go a bit bigger. Without jumping to a magnum cartridge a 6.5x284 or better a 280AI will work, both have a really manageable recoil. A 25-06 is also a great option.

However, a heavier 7mm bullet will have more energy down range than a 6.5 or smaller caliber bullet. I would consider this if you are planning on hunting elk with this build.

Stay safe brother

I'd build the 22cal. U can use ur 7-08 or 308 for deer hunting, might as well build what u will use the most and it sounds like coyotes you hunt the most. Also agree with others, 6.5 or bigger is nice for mule deer

Steve @Canhunter35 makes a great point, use the cartridges you have for deer and elk and you can build a 22 cal for coyotes.

The only thing is, do you want your first build to be a 22 cal? or something bigger and more versatile.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts