First rifle build

IndianaMatt

My story-

So I posted the .270 win thread here and it blew up. That got me shopping for a rifle. I have a safe full of off the shelf rifles. I have dreamed about building a full custom for years. I don't know why but I just never did it.

All the uncertainty kept me from it I guess.
So I was thinking, I could thin the safe and probably come up with more than enough cash to build a rifle. I could sell 4-5 rifles with optics and ammo and have plenty to build on.

Now I'm here thinking about this again. I definitely want something lightweight, short, and handy. I think I want to build a .300 WSM or .270 WSM. Something I can source components and off the shelf ammo for. I own a Wildcat and while I can reload and probably will I don't want to "have" to.

Here is what I'm thinking-
Pierce lightweight action, proof 20inch light Sendero, Manners EH4 stock. Probably a Zeiss optic.

Anyone have advice?
Is this a mistake?
Is there a smith you would recommend? Maybe a cartridge recommendation I haven't considered?

Thank you for reading

What is the intention of use?

Get a 700 clone action, with simple tools you can swap barrels, stocks, plug & play parts. QD scope mount(s). True custom do it all capability. True freedom with the rig. I know, I've seen me do it. I will do this for now on.

Last edited:
What type of action do you have presently? You might just start with an action or rifle you are not happy with. If you have an old Mauser 98 action, it can be comverted to at lease a belted may 264, 7mm Rem Mag, 300 WM. 700 Rem action most are very good to use. Requires some work to bring it up to speed. I have several Mauser 98 action into different case and calibers.

What type of action do you have presently? You might just start with an action or rifle you are not happy with. If you have an old Mauser 98 action, it can be comverted to at lease a belted may 264, 7mm Rem Mag, 300 WM. 700 Rem action most are very good to use. Requires some work to bring it up to speed. I have several Mauser 98 action into different case and calibers.
No Mauser's, I have a few savages, and a CZ 557 that would be on the selling block.

If you go 300 WSM, go either a medium or long action for better OAL clearance.
I Would really prefer a short action rifle. Would a Wyatt's box fix this issue? Not sure if they even make an extended box for short action but I have one on my long action 7STW.

It sounds like you have a good plan thus far. I've always wanted a 300 WSM. It's not the fastest 30, but it has always been heralded as one of the most accurate. I would build on LA or medium as Rick mentioned. I've only used one GS, but was completely satisfied. You would need to pack your patience on most of the top GS wait lists.

Last edited:
I Would really prefer a short action rifle.
Defiance makes the XM length between short and long that's a really good spot for the short mags. 3.200" max length, and I'm pretty sure Hawkins supports it now for bottom metal.

Easy Button: call APR, tell them you want this in an Anti-X XM 300 WSM with a Proof carbon barrel:

300 WSM is a heavily supported factory case, if you wanted a smaller caliber I would say 7 PRC honestly. You can put money on Hornady will get a ton of companies to put a ton of ammo on the shelf just like they did with the 6.5 and 300.

My story-

So I posted the .270 win thread here and it blew up. That got me shopping for a rifle. I have a safe full of off the shelf rifles. I have dreamed about building a full custom for years. I don't know why but I just never did it.

All the uncertainty kept me from it I guess.
So I was thinking, I could thin the safe and probably come up with more than enough cash to build a rifle. I could sell 4-5 rifles with optics and ammo and have plenty to build on.

Now I'm here thinking about this again. I definitely want something lightweight, short, and handy. I think I want to build a .300 WSM or .270 WSM. Something I can source components and off the shelf ammo for. I own a Wildcat and while I can reload and probably will I don't want to "have" to.

Here is what I'm thinking-
Pierce lightweight action, proof 20inch light Sendero, Manners EH4 stock. Probably a Zeiss optic.

Anyone have advice?
Is this a mistake?
Is there a smith you would recommend? Maybe a cartridge recommendation I haven't considered?

Thank you for reading
If you don't mind a wildcat, the Sherman line of short actions are unbeatable in 6mm thru 338. Reamers dies, and brass in stock often more likely than some of the saami stuff. The wsm, saum, prc, etc are not true short actions, even though they are built on them they leave performance on the table and the bullets are seated out of the preferred zone in the neck.

I would highly highly highly suggest this!!!!! He's got all the components you need with my favorite caliber!!!

I Would really prefer a short action rifle. Would a Wyatt's box fix this issue? Not sure if they even make an extended box for short action but I have one on my long action 7STW.
I have a Wyatt on my Defiance Short action 300 WSM and I can barely get 180 Berger's to fit if I am .030 off the lands…and that is with a center feed box. Won't work with stagger feed.

I would highly highly highly suggest this!!!!! He's got all the components you need with my favorite caliber!!!
That is a beautiful rifle.

If you don't mind a wildcat, the Sherman line of short actions are unbeatable in 6mm thru 338. Reamers dies, and brass in stock often more likely than some of the saami stuff. The wsm, saum, prc, etc are not true short actions, even though they are built on them they leave performance on the table and the bullets are seated out of the preferred zone in the neck.
I was scrolling around the Sherman website last night a bit. The 7SST looks pretty cool but I just don't have time to spend at the bench reloading. I have 3 kids in sports so most of my time is spent driving to a game, at a game, driving home from a game, mostly something to do with a game lol.

I want something I can run off the shelf ammo in. I do reload and have the equipment but not the time at this stage of life.

What is your intended use of the rifle? Shooting steel ,hunting, or both? If hunting what do you hunt? And how far do you carry your rifle? 1/2 mile or 5 miles