Looking for stock help and ideas

bear prince

Hey All,

Been reading on this site for a long time but haven't posted much. Lots of good info on this site, so thanks for all the info I have learned about up to this point.

I am in the process of building my dream gun, a 338 Norma Mag on a Rem 700 action for long range hunting and target shooting. Nothing will be sweeter than connecting on a moose or brown bear at a grand or more. Everything is ready to go, just waiting for my Fat Bastard muzzle brake to be installed. So I need some help with stock choices.

I presently have a extreme long range shooter in 308 on a Rem 700 with a Bell & Carlson Medalist Remington Varmint/Tactical adjustable stock which I built first to work on my long range shooting skills. Lot cheaper to practice with. I am quite pleased with this stock. This gun shoots about 1/3 moa for the most part but when I do my part and the stars align it shoots even better. The only complaint I had with the stock was the palm swell. It was a little big for my damaged arm (mountain bike accident) so I had to shave it down a bit. Fits great now. With this new build I have been toying with the McMillan A5 or A3-5. Lots of people like them and you get cool guy points when you own one. What I'm looking for is people that have owned both the B&C and McMillan and to find out which one they liked better and why. Even if you haven't owned both I would like to hear what you have to say about either.

The other question I would like to know about is rifle chassis systems. I know very little about these and would like to know if they are really as good as the companies claim them to be. I would also like to know what are the better/best ones and why.

No matter which route I go with my main goal is to have the best stock. When I say best stock I want to know which one is the best at helping me as a shooter and which one will squeak out every last bit of precision and accuracy out of me and the rest of the gun. Comfort is also high on the list. I am not interested with cool guy points, if the stock helps me as a shooter and it has cool guy points thats just extra gravy.

Thanks in advance for any help,
John in AK

+1 on the McMillan stocks. the only thing I would disagree with is "Their pricey" part. You are getting a stock built for you by craftsman in the USA. i think the price is good for what you get..... While not cheap, they are worth every penny. Plus, you can call and talk with someone who will help in you choice/build of the stock.:D

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.