700P needs attention, looking for ideas.

b money

Well I've been a lurker off and on for a few years but I think the long range bug finally bit me hard enough to start asking my own questions. I do live in Illinois though so it hurts me to say, most of my shots will on paper and not wild game.

I have a Remington 700P/PSS in 308 win that I bought used a few years ago from a dealer online that had a bunch of them from a state prison. When I got it I noticed the stock was cracked at the front sling swivel from where someone tried to tighten a bipod to much. This is not a huge deal but I would like the option of being able to put a bipod there. The barrel has also been completely free floated and I'm assuming beaded(never looked took it apart because at the time I wasn't sure if taking it apart would screw up accuracy). The rifle has a pretty light trigger pull compared to my mid 70's rem 700, but the PSS does have a hint of creep. I just recently started to really sit down and start reloading for this rifle. Soon I had 5 shot groups just over an inch at 100 yards and 3 of those shots would be under 1/2in. This is all using a cheap BSA scope,full length sized military brass, and Winchester 150grn fmjbt bullets. So after shooting a few of those type of groups I know the accuracy potential is there.

BUT I said all of that to say this.

Last time I took it out I noticed it was putting a nice bright wavy line around the fired cases just under half way up from the head. This points me to a head space issue and I want to have it checked out by a gunsmith. My question is should I just have him take care of the head space problem or should I have it sent out to a master rifle smith and completely re-done into a 1000+ yard capable rifle? So far I have enjoyed trying to shoot the smallest group possible, and I have access to a 500 yard range. Also if I would do anything to this rifle I wouldn't want a benchrest rig, more of a long range military type because I want to be able to use it in a real world situation and there is a possibility I would take it out west once or twice.

Sorry for the long winded explanation and thank you.

I would at least let a smith take a lookat it. What part of Il. If you are in the right area I will give you contact info for someone I use(built my long range rig). Welcome to the neighborhood.

Thank you, I have learned a lot just from reading others questions. That's what I was thinking as well. Right now I'm pretty sure the rifle can out shoot me so for the time being I would be more than content if it wasn't ruining the brass. I only know of one smith by me and from what I hear he does good work, just more of a do everything smith instead of one specializing in one type of firearm system so please the more people I know the better. I am near Peru IL right about where I80 and I39 intersect.

Your a pretty good ways from him he's in Marshall,Il. on I 70 and In. state line. If you are interested though I will give you his info.

That is a pretty good drive for me, but if he is good with long range stuff I would be interested.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.