Rem Mountain Rifle Ideas/Help

For what it is worth I have a Rem 700 BDL that I got the first year Remington released the 7-08, it was a varmit model with a heavy barrel. After shooting it out I re-barreled it with a Douglas #3 air gauged barreled and put it in a B&C Medalist stock. I changed the trigger to a Rifle Basix set at 2.5# and mounted a Ziess fixed 6 power scope. It will consistently clover leaf 140 Nosler Accubonds. It is my go to gun for So Georgia whitetails.

Leave it be and build something else. I'm an old man and I have screwed up lots of guns
by messing with them. For example, I had a S&W K-38 4 inch bbl. Masterpiece. It shot
fantastically well. I felt it needed a 6 inch bbl. I did it and the gun was never the same.
Zeke

I would leave it alone, and enjoy it for just what it is, and shoot it when ever you want to. Then go buy something else. Maybe a used Rem 700 on a Magnum action, and get it barreled, with a 24 inch or 26 inch thin Krieger Barrel, chambered in some super new caliber that kills Deer and Elk in another time zone. That might make you happy. MHO

Last edited:
So I have a Remington 700 DM Mountain rifle chambered in 7mm-08. It is a good rifle with a lot of first and a lot of memories. I've never been extremely happy with the factory wood stock and the pencil barrel. As mentioned it has killed a bunch of stuff and I'd never sell it.

However.....

Do I leave it as is for memories and it "works" OR do I rebarrel and get a different stock for it? What would you do? The factory detachable mag makes stock choices with pencil barrel extremely limited (without spending $700 on a Manners or McMillin).

Thoughts?
Steve
My Ruger tang /pencil barrel 25.06 is just under a minute/angle with my handloads....not great, but Deer/ Antelope at 500 no problem. Coyotes smaller so not so far out there...but super light with Leupold 4.5x15..had it now 40 years...will leave it alone...

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.