Looking for any 168 ctbst recipes for my 30-06

Chadden0130

As the title suggests, I am looking for some info and opinions on this particular round. What I'd really like is for someone with load data to pitch their two cents as I cannot seem to find any recipes for this round with my favorite spice, imr 4350. I was drawn to this bullet for its accuracy reviews and am looking to use it for long range target; 400+. Gonna toss ''em from a savage 111 lefty under an 8-32 x 50 30mm (overkill I know but it was one of those cant pass up deals). Also, if you have any other bullet/powder suggestions for a savage 111 06 let it fly, cause I certainly haven't tried all the possibilities on the cabelas shelf, lol. Thanks in advance for any and all help.

30-06 with 168gr CTBST no problem. I use neck sized Winchester brass with A CCI BR2 primer and found my best accuracy with a MAX charge of 57gr of IMR 4350. You should work up to the max. The listed starting charge I have is 53gr. I load jammed to the lands and they still fit my mag box quite easily.
I use a different bullet (accubond) with this recipe now.
I had a complete core jacket separation using the 168 CTBST when I shot a whitetail broadside at 40 yards and did not get a pass through. Yes it died, No it didn't go anywhere,Yes there was a quite dramatic wound channel with lots of trauma. Recovered the jacket in the ribs on the off side and the bullet fragmented into tiny pieces. Just a personal preference for a tougher bullet with more penetration in case the shot is off the mark a little.
Good luck BHJ

Thanks jeep, as luck would have it I too use Winchester brass and cci primers. I'll be trying out some loads this weekend now. Have any opinions on accubond vs. partition? I am not particular to nobler per say, but it seems my savage is,lol. Tanks again.

I suggest H4350, Imr is great but I never could get enough under a 168 in winchester brass to get the velocity I was chasing. I have used 58.5grns of Imr under a 168 bt (uncoated combined tech) with good results .030" off the lands and the same charge under a 168 amax touching the lands, but my 06 go to is the 168 amax jammed over 59.5grn of H4350 with fed210M primer, gives me 2960fps from a 24" vanguard sub moa and shoots .4 moa with a 6fps ES, this also works with the bullet of your choice but runs about 20fps slower because of the coating. These are top end loads start atleast 4grns under.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.