I'm looking for advice on loading .30-06

i have one of the older ones with the solid black plastic stock and have seen others that were really accurate. mine is a 270 and is a half minute rifle. good luck with yours.

230 Berger OTM has served me very well. H4831sc is my powder of choice. Single digit SD, minimal wind drift and a huskemaw optic have proven to be effective on our big bodied white tails from 43 yards to 720 and everything in between. Click the safety off, tickle the trigger, DRT, get the truck. Every. Time.

Tr what rifle? scope?

Winchester model 70. Glass bedded action, free floated barrel, timney trigger huskemaw 5-20x with a set of ballistic turrets for everything between 0• and 60• in twenty degree increments. Nothing fancy, just consistent as the day is long.

I've had very good luck with 59gr of IMR 4350/150gr bullet in every 30-06 I've tried it in. Same goes for 58gr IMR4350 with any 165gr bullet. In H4350 some rifles like 57gr/165 and I've had some 168s like 58gr, just have to work up to it. I like the "old school" load of 52gr/4064 with a 150 (sometimes 51.5 works better) I also use CCI BR2 primers. One of the very first tuperware stocked Mod 700 7mm rem mags (SS) I had shot a 1 1/8 group at 300yds with old Barnes 120X, back in the mid 90's...Just have your screws in tight and hold your mouth right! ha BTW, your first group in your picture will kill deer out to as far as you can see them! :)

I do like the group that I first posted. It did make the bolt harder to open and I didn't know if it was a good idea to keep shooting that load of it made a sticky bolt. However I have been testing som 150 interlock flat based bullet. Today was a decent range day. I have still have some more work up to do but I'm getting closer.

Range pics

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 76
There is good information in those two targets...
I would load up some more and concentrate on trigger and recoil control. You might have a good load there.
Maybe even back off a grain and play with seating depth...

One load is 55.5 gr of H4350 and the other is 56 gr H4350. I still have room to work up and from what I understand between 56 and 57 gr of h4350 is a genral sweet spot. I will continue with their powder and bullet combo.

Looks like the groups are in the same place on the target with both charges.
That tells me you are in your sweet spot. I think your horizontal is more mechanical than loading. If you can figure that out you're golden. those loads are better than you might think...

Should I start at 55.5 and work every .1 or more?
I set out today with loads ranging from 54 up to 56 increasing by .5. I can post those targets as well.

Personally I would load up more 56 grains and see if the horizontal is me...
the way you grip the rifle, the way you let it recoil all has influence on POI. I'll get horizontal if I grip my rifles with my thumb on my trigger hand. I would disect your technique, like making sure the rifle recoils straight back by loading the bipod if you are using one, if not, the way it rides the bags, your grip ETC..

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.