I'm looking for advice on loading .30-06

Ok thanks for he info. I'm just trying to make his work with what is available. The powder selection isn't the best locally. They did tell me about the new enduron powder from IMR but I couldn't get much info and they didn't have much either.

I know I am asking a lot of questions and I am sorry. I don't have anyone that reloads so I figured I better ask at a place where people are very educated in the matter.

I know I am asking a lot of questions and I am sorry. I don't have anyone that reloads so I figured I better ask at a place where people are very educated in the matter.

This forum is for questions and discussion... This is actually a great thread, and you should ask as many questions as you like.... People are eager to help, and actually enjoy giving their opinions and experiences....
You are in the right place...
Good luck... You're fine...

Hodgdon shows superformance as a good one for 165g bullet. I have never liked it for anything yet. I got a bunch of it when it came out thinking it would be great. Next time I load our 166g in 06 I will try it. It seems to be on the shelf everywhere.

Steve

Mid- for shooting whitetail at 500 yards or less a 150, 155 scenar, 167 scenar, 168 berger or 168 cbt will be just fine. for your intended purpose, they are faster, flatter, and kick less than the long heavy ones mentioned by others . try loading them .030 off the lands. for other powders I would start with varget. my go to load is 50.4 varget, lapua brass and a 210m. the projectile could be a 167 scenar, 168 cbt , 168 berger . or one of several other 165-168 bullets. sounds like you have a good trigger. I did not see what scope you were using if it was mentioned.

Is varget hard find everywhere else? My local shop said they have not had it on the last to deliveries of powder. It is to the point of limiting so many pounds per person here.

My local shop has some, and they also have a limit of 2 lbs. per customer for certain powders, Varget being one of them...Unless you're one of their well-known customers, then they look the other way on their 2lb. limit rule. :cool:

That being said, unless you're shooting some 125gr bullets, I think Varget might be a bit fast for the '06...

Have you tried 7828 SSC, H1000, RL-25, 7977, or another slower burning powder? The '06-based cartridges have really shined for me with slow magnum powders...Namely 7828 SSC.

I have not tried those powders. The only powder I have tried is H4350. I was looking at the new enduron powders from IMR. They are supposed to be like the Hodgdon extremes (as in temp sensitivity). There is not a lot of data out there for those powders thought. I was looking at IMR 4451 enduron

I have not tried those powders. The only powder I have tried is H4350. I was looking at the new enduron powders from IMR. They are supposed to be like the Hodgdon extremes (as in temp sensitivity). There is not a lot of data out there for those powders thought. I was looking at IMR 4451 enduron

According to the tech that I spoke with at Shot Show this year the Enduron powders are better than the extreme line of powders for temp sensitivity.

I would imagine that if you contact Hodgden they would give you a start load.

Steve

lot of powders available and work in the 30-06. go to hogdon.com there is data for 4451 for a lot bullets.

Well I called Hodgdon. The cs rep said my rifle seems to be picky and since the 4451 is chemically different he says it should be the "cats meow". I hope it works I stopped and got a 1lb jug on my way home from work. This is the first I have loaded for and I am starting to feel desperate.

The cs rep also said that if this doesn't work to try H414. I haven't heard much about it but he said it's great for .30-06.

if this is a wood stocked rifle take it out of the stock and see if there alot of small bumps that are caused by the finish remington puts on their rifles. they need to be removed or the barrel never is in the same place twice.

Sadly it is the Tupperware stock that come with the rifle. I would like to get a Laminate or synthetic stock down the road

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.