30-06 loading problem

bigsky

I have a Remington 30-06 mountain rifle (22 inch #1 contour barrel) that I am attempting to find a better load for. I have previously used the Nosler Accubond in the 180 gr. with 56.6 gr. of RL 19. The velocity was around 2550 and I wanted something faster. I decided to drop down to the 165 gr. and increased the load to 57.2 gr. I just got back from the range and was suprised when my velocity was averaging around 2500 fps. I shot five shots with a vertical line for a group. The seating depth was slightly less (180- 3.435" 165- 3.4")then the 180 gr. but everything else was the same. Does someone have an idea on what is going on? Should I try a slower burning powder? The throat on this rifle is very deep so I am not able to seat the bullet near the lands with the 180 gr. or the 165 gr.

Thanks,
Bigsky

I have a sporterized 1903a3 with a 22" barrel. It likes 57.5 gr H4350 with the Nosler 165 grain BT's. Speed is about 2750.

Does anybody have any recommedations for other powders to use? Assuming that this might be a pressure/powder burn rate issue.

Re22 is one of the top powders in the 30.06 with 180 grain bullets. Try that or H414.

As mentioned, you cannot go wrong with a 4350. 4831s also work with 165 class and 180 class bullets.

My first choice, however, with a 180 is Reloder 22. Top velocities, excellent accuracy.

I am not surprised your velocity with the 165 did not increase. Your cartridge pressure is probably lower and a powders burn rate is a function of the pressure it is under. Have you increased your charge until you have pressure signs?
If you are looking for velocity in the 165 grain bullets and heavier and want to try a different powder I would try N560, RL17, or RL22.

I tried IMR 4064 with similar velocity results. I have some RL 22, IMR 4350 and some H 4831 sc that I will try. I was just thinking that the slower burning powders might be to slow with the 22 inch barrel. If I could get somewere around 2700 I would be happy.

Bigsky

I can't believe that you can't easily get over 2700 with a 180. How have you pushed your load developement? First off I've seen some really really slow lots of RE19. Some were a twin to RE22. Secondly if you have a really long throat it may be acting somewhat like freebore in a weatherby and that will also allow for more powder. You are seating the bullet out alot and that can decrease pressure by increasing the interior volume of the case. If it were me I'd be loading up bullets in groups of 2 or 3 increasing the powder charge by .5 grains and going to the range watching the velocity and watching for pressure. From what you are saying I think it is possible you might get as much as 60 grains re19 under a 180......you might get as much as 59 grains 4350 under a 165. Go for it. You should easily hit 2700 with the 180's and 2800 with the 165's. PS....I'm starting load developement soon with the 150 e tip in the '06. I think I should get close to 3000 fps with that bullet. It has the bc of a 165 and will hold as much wt (or more) as a 180 partition. THAT BULLET COULD give old world 300 win mag performance to my '06.

Went to Sportsman Warehouse looking for load data for a up
coming elk hunt looking at different books found a book
titled Pet Loads looked through it and found a load that said
a 215 primer and 4350 powder well started working with IMR 4350
shot ok no good groups then H 4350 groups looking real good so working on load development but some where to start.
Post will come as groups do. Luck at your end.

i have a 700 stainless titanium and a wood stocked mtn rifle. my best load was the factory federal high energy 180 nosler partition less than 1" @100 2891fps. in the titanium it kicked a lot.i shot a 6 point bull last year it worked awesome. for the 200gr part; 58re22 or 59 of h-4831 lapua brass. for a max load for the 165 work up to 63 re 22 ( 3002) or 61 of re-19; lapua brass. for deer i don't need that much so i shoot 57 to 58 of h or i 4350 or 52 of n150. roninflag

I use 51 grns of IMR 4320 with a 165 Sierra HPBT Gameking. Seated to recommended over all length for cartridge, GREAT accuracy so I never bothered to try different depths. Getting around 2850 for velocity. In my older standard 22" 700, I use 53 grains at around 2940 but this doesn't shoot as good in the skinny barrel.

Shot Speer 180 spbt from 54 to 56 H4350 loads yesterday
with 215 primers fair groups less than 1 in but too Hot flatten primers
back to the bench....to work on other 180gr loads.
57.5 of RL19 shot well in 22in barrel 210 and win brass 180 speer as above.

few things to toss out 1: a light contour barrel vibrates much more then a varmint/target contour of the same length causing more friction(bullet trys to go straight but the barrel in essence gets in its way by whipping) as some users get higher velocity in a similar length but heavier/stiffer barrel. 2:with your 22inch barrel you may want to try a decent 150 or standard 165 grain bullet like a gameking or plain jane powerpoint etc using a varget class powder, how hot are you loading to(I'll often load till I flatten 3/4of the primer and feel safe with it) another not so cheap option might be to try federal high energy or hornady light magnum loads and see how close you can get to their velocity. 3:it could just be that you have a loose barrel (groove diameter is over tolerance,BUT one other thing to look at is how much are you sizing your brass?? If a case is full length sized too much it basicly makes the body shorter meaning that when you fire your load gas pressure is wasted expanding the brass to the chamber!( example being fireforming factory 22-250 ammo in a Ackley chamber it make 22-250AI where in it shoot at 3,650 instead of the normal 3,800) so might want to take a fired case and readjust die till it just touches at the body/shoulder juction or till cases just chamber smoothly-bonus being longer case life! hope this helps otherwise i might of just confused people enough for their wives to wonder what we're awake thinking about.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts