300 savage loading problem.

dale1386

Need some help on a problem I'm having trying to load me some 300 savage deer hunting loads. For some reason my Lee FL sizing die as started crushing the neck in and also stuck a case in the die which I had to drill and extract....and yes I've used sizing lube that I've been using for a while. I tried removing the decapping pin and I was able to size a case but I wasn't sure if sizing a case without the tapered section going thru the neck would produce a properly sized neck and case. my question is why has this happened all of a sudden and is a decapping pin a must in a FL sizing die? I usually punch out the busted primer prior to running thru the FL die anyways.
Thanks

1. First thought. The die may have set and rust has crept into it. Remove the decapping-expander rod and check for rust inside, clean well. This would explain why the neck is collapsing into the case also. A rough die surface is hard to impossible to overcome with lube. 2. If the die is a standard FL die you would need the decaping-Expander Rod, The expander ball is needed to bring the neck out to proper size after the neck has been resized slightly under size by the die. Good Luck finding the problem.

ok thanks i may just order another FL die.....never been to fond of LEE dies any way.

You probably need to trim your cases and lube inside of the neck of the case.

if you have a 308 win fl die use that. But first I would take apart the die and run it through a tumbler with walnut shell then measure your expander ball, it may just be that you have the wrong expander ball.
The only issue I have had with Lee dies was with a 3030 collet die I could not set it up correctly, called Lee they wanted it back and they replaced it very quickly. End of that problem..

I ordered a new expander ball and no luck still crushes the neck, I don't have a tumbler because I just reload a few hunting loads and clean my case by hand, guess I'll just order a new die set but it won't be a Lee. I load for a 35 Rem also and use Hornady dies and no problems and also 22-250 with RCBS dies no problems but I just can't seem to get this 300 savage Lee die set figured out.

Have you trimmed your cases and chamfered the mouth of the case and lubed the inside of the case neck? If not this probably will cure your ills.

Yes I had already done that and still no luck. I received the a new Hornady FL sizing die and installed and back in business.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.