25-06 Load Development Problem

I forgot to mention that I run magnum primers, depending on bullet/powder, I get best results with WLRM and a close second with Fed215 Match primers. (That's all they had at the time) The normal one's group no different.

I love exploding cottontails with a Sierra 75gr HP at 3700fps..........talk about REDMIST!

Cheers.

UPDATE: I'm pretty sure I got a lemon from Remington.

I tried slower powders; Retumbo & H1000 on the 115 Partitions and 115 gr Nosler Ballistic Tip Hunting bullets. I tried seating touching the lands, .015 off & .03 off...nothing improved. I even tried a box of factory ammo...same thing. I am by no means a novice so this is not a user problem. I can shoot 3/4MOA all day with 75gr Vmax...groups touching at 200yds too. BUT, I can barely get 3" groups at a 100 with the 115grain bullets. 100grains are a little better at about 1.25"...still not good. I am shooting off a lead sled...dead still. There has to be something wrong with a rifle shooting 3-4" groups at 100 yards. The bad news, Remington has a 12 week turn around on repair work. What you think? Take it to gunsmith? Have it recrowned? Just get a new barrel? I've never had such an issue before.

UPDATE: I'm pretty sure I got a lemon from Remington.

I tried slower powders; Retumbo & H1000 on the 115 Partitions and 115 gr Nosler Ballistic Tip Hunting bullets. I tried seating touching the lands, .015 off & .03 off...nothing improved. I even tried a box of factory ammo...same thing. I am by no means a novice so this is not a user problem. I can shoot 3/4MOA all day with 75gr Vmax...groups touching at 200yds too. BUT, I can barely get 3" groups at a 100 with the 115grain bullets. 100grains are a little better at about 1.25"...still not good. I am shooting off a lead sled...dead still. There has to be something wrong with a rifle shooting 3-4" groups at 100 yards. The bad news, Remington has a 12 week turn around on repair work. What you think? Take it to gunsmith? Have it recrowned? Just get a new barrel? I've never had such an issue before.

I am not super shocked - Remingtons quality and customer service has gone down hill significantly the last several years. Remington doesn't guarantee MOA, so it is likely they will send your gun back with some 2" group and say it looks good. Your gun, your call - if it was me I would send it back still to give them a chance to make it right - if the come back and say nothing is wrong I would kick it down the road and get an xbolt or a Tikka, or hell even a savage (some of their new 110s look pretty good). Or drop some more money into it and rebarrel. Good luck!

I have one question.
How does it shoot WITHOUT using the leadsled?
Leadsleds are notorious for inducing inaccuracy.
I know you said it shoots well with light bullets, but recoil increases with heavier bullets and rifles like to move with it.
ANY stock touching the barrel due to leadsled stopping recoil may be your problem.

Try it and let me know.

Cheers.

Used a leadsled once and just could not get it to work. I find I get much better results just using a rear rabbit ear bag and front rest with sand bag.

Yes ditch the lead sled. Never really seen people get best accuracy using one. Use a good front rest and rear bag.

Final Update: I got it dialed in!
Which of the four factors was it...we'll never know...but I suspect it was the lead sled.
I switched primers and tried IMR 4350, stepping it in 46, 47, 48, & 49 grains. 48 was the sweet spot. Sub-MOA.
I also ditched the sled and used a front adjustable rest, with a rolled up t-shirt under the butt. I actually felt more stable this way too.
Lastly, and probably a factor...copper fouling. Last week at the range I could see a lot of copper on the rifling at the muzzle. It was enough the Hoppe's copper remover couldn't get it. I treated it with Sweet's 7.62 last night. That was fast and EASY to remove all of the copper.

I'm chalking it up to copper fouling and sled induced excess vibrations.

51641724_10218858644396584_5634648766209327104_n.jpg 51112804_10218858644716592_1859589636507041792_n.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.