loading my 30-06 Ackley IMP

beartooth

Well, I am going to pull out from brief retirement my Custom 30-06 Ackley IMP. with a Sako TRG reciver, Tuned trigger, and Lilja 24" barrel and see what it will do with some of my knew thoughts about powders and bullets. If I get it shooting again like it did before I got caught up in my new rifles (I killed a bear with it last Oct.) I will be a happy man. Sure hope I did not loose my load data that I had worked up for it. Will pull it out and go shoot it Thursday Yep, that is what I will do. Got a 165gr load that moves 3054fps that shot real good. I am going to see if it will out shoot my 30-06 Kimber. Going to try 200gr, 190gr, and 180gr loads. Anyone have load data that turned out well using the Barnes 180gr. TSX, if so would like to know accuracy and velocities. thanks

Mike,

My favorte load, so far, is

-Win cases, fireformed w/ COW and 13 gr Bullseye.
-Fed 210M primers
-Nosler 180 BT
-.015" off lands w/ Forster Ultra Seater
-26" SS Lilja (.542" at muzzle=THIN!)
-3050 fps, February temps, Ohler 33 10' from muzzle. I hit stiff bolt lift at 70.7 grs.
-68.6 gr Rel 25 (trickle in slow and use bullet seating to compress the powder) VERY compressed!
-Lee Collet neck die
-After 3-4 reloads, need to set shoulders back w/ Redding custom body die.
-3/4 MOA (3-shots)out to 300 yds on paper, 875 yds on steel

Got my iPAQ 2210 off Ebay 2 days ago and just loaded my EXBAL this afternoon. Going out Friday am to

1. Check my vel again
2. Check my 100 yd zero
3. Let'R'Fly! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
A little extra

My first 875 yd shot

[/ QUOTE ]

That is just awesome, man I mean awesome, great shooting. I have never done that kind of shooting. I have killed game out to 426yds a coyote but that is twice as far. Cool. Here is my groups from my 300WBY 180gr TSX moving 3287fps at 100yds and 200 yards over the loas three weeks.

100yds 1.0095" then .334"
IMG_5607.jpg

IMG_5532.jpg

200yds
IMG_5608.jpg

BT,

Two days ago, a friend from Cali was out and he wanted to go shooting. We went out to my normal spot, got a late start, and some guys in a truck were already there. Ran up the road further and found a broad valley. Set up the portable shade as it was 93-95 degrees, windy, sunny and dusty. We set up a 100 yd target and checked my zero; 1/4" right in a 6 mph 3'oclock wind. EXBAL said that was on.

We then set my 25" x 15" LV steel siluette gong. Got back to the shade and made ready to shoot. The sun was so bright I had a hard time ranging the steel with my Swaro 8x30 Laserguide. So I settled on a decent sized PJ tree which was closer and to the left about 75 yds. It bounced back 785. We guessed the steel was about 15 yds farther, so 800. I ran the numbers in EXBAL cranked 15.75 MOA and IIRC, 3 MOA wind for a 6 mph from my 9. At the shot, my buddy, looking through the spotting scope said I was just under. I reran EXBAL for 800 yds and 16.5 MOA drop. BAM!!! BAM!!! BAM!!!. A 4.25" group at what we later successfully lazered at 818 yds.

818 yds 3-shot 4.25" group

Dismiss the date on the photo. As I was turning the camera on, I realized it had no batteries and thus the camera reset the date to 20020101. Trust me, I'd not be wearing shorts, light hikers and a polynesian shirt in January at 5024' in Utah.

After that the steady 9 o'clock wind picked up to 20+ mph gusts and kept swinging from 4pm to 8 pm wind. I'd get my wind adjusted and by the time I shot, the wind went the other way. I learned a steady strong directional wind is better than a mild swinging wind.

I wanted to just say for nay sayers, my skinny barrel seems to do just fine. It keeps my rifles weight to 8lb and much of that is my IOR 3-18x42mm at 29 oz and big 35mm rings. Their web site says 22 oz but it is off. I've informed them but still no change. In talking to Dan Lilja, he says as long as the barrel is properly stress relieved, no problems!

Finally! a shooter that appreciates the awsome 30-06 Imp. properly loaded.
I built mine on a Mauser 98 LR that has been blue printed. Lapped locking lugs lapped bolt face as well as fire lapped bore.
I am trying for some similar results as you illustrated. Maybe we can trade ideas.
Fantastic results friend!

Mike,

My favorte load, so far, is

-Win cases, fireformed w/ COW and 13 gr Bullseye.
-Fed 210M primers
-Nosler 180 BT
-.015" off lands w/ Forster Ultra Seater
-26" SS Lilja (.542" at muzzle=THIN!)
-3050 fps, February temps, Ohler 33 10' from muzzle. I hit stiff bolt lift at 70.7 grs.
-68.6 gr Rel 25 (trickle in slow and use bullet seating to compress the powder) VERY compressed!
-Lee Collet neck die
-After 3-4 reloads, need to set shoulders back w/ Redding custom body die.
-3/4 MOA (3-shots)out to 300 yds on paper, 875 yds on steel

Got my iPAQ 2210 off Ebay 2 days ago and just loaded my EXBAL this afternoon. Going out Friday am to

1. Check my vel again
2. Check my 100 yd zero
3. Let'R'Fly! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I am a huge 06AI fan:)
About 63+ grains of vv560 behind a 208 a-max in lapua cases with a win primer gives me 2800fps and lobs them into tiny long range groups ....when I can can take the recoil. I throated mine long for the 208s so I do not crush the powder as bad.

Finally! a shooter that appreciates the awsome 30-06 Imp. properly loaded.
I built mine on a Mauser 98 LR that has been blue printed. Lapped locking lugs lapped bolt face as well as fire lapped bore.
I am trying for some similar results as you illustrated. Maybe we can trade ideas.
Fantastic results friend!

I love my .30-06 AI too. Mine is a Rem700 BDL with a 26" Kreiger BBL Heavy Bull Sporter, Timney Trigger and a Faigen Laminate Stock on pillars. I havent shot any 180's yet, but Mine loves 165g Sierra Game Kings. I'm getting 3124fps with H4350.

I've had it 3 years now and I was able to take a Muley at 489yds with it 2 seasons ago.

I don't think people give this cartridge it's due credit.

Dan

I use the same dies as MudRunner.

As an update for my post, my .30-06AI has taken several more Muledeer and 4 cow elk with the furthest being at 525yds, It's a great mid range rifle and has plenty of power to go to 100yds.

I have since switched to 168g Berger VLD (chronyed at 3125FPS) for 90% of my hunting, I've also developed a great load for the 190g Berger VLD (chronyed at 2900 FPS). I still load the 165g Sierras as a secondary load, but the Bergers are more accurate and drift less in the wind.

Dan

Are you using standard primers?

I have a Vanguard s2 that I have considered rebarreling to 30.06 improved. I have 168vld and H4350 that is been unused for years, I'd like to use lapua brass.

Post a pic of one of your loaded rounds if you could. Please.
Thanks.

Are you using standard primers?

I have a Vanguard s2 that I have considered rebarreling to 30.06 improved. I have 168vld and H4350 that is been unused for years, I'd like to use lapua brass.

Post a pic of one of your loaded rounds if you could. Please.
Thanks.

I use Federal 210M primers in mine.

Here's a picture of mine w/ the Berger 185 VLD.

28FEB5A7-3709-4E06-95A1-A37C2C386DD6_zpszxqfiw7b.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts