30-06 ackley?

usmc0331

This has probably been discussed before but I apparently can't work the search function correctly.

I'm considering having my '06 reamed out to AI specs and l would like help deciding if it's worth it. I plan to use 190 Berger VLD's for long range target shooting and short to mid-range hunting of mule deer and elk.

How much velocity should I expect to gain with the AI and is it worth the hassle of fire forming the cases?

Thanks

Jared

With that short of a barrel you won't gain much if anything except muzzle blast.

You would probably see a 50-100 fps increase in velocity. I would guess that out of that short barrel and using the slower powder necessary for the 190 gr bullet it would be more like 50 fps. For me it would not be a worthwhile conversion.
You might consider a new barrel in 280 Ackley at about 26". You can shoot the high ballistic coefficienet Berger 168 gr VLD at near 7mm Rem Mag velocity. Might be worth a look.

Thanks for the replies.

I'm want to avoid changing the barrel completely because it's a rifle that's been in the family close to 40 years. I'm not opposed to tweaking it though.

Are there any other .30 caliber cartridges that can be reamed into this barrel (safely) that would be worth a look?

Jared,

I have to agree with the others comments, with the factory 22" bbl, there isn't much gained. I actually have a .30-06 AI and Mine is a complete custom build.

It's a Remington 700 BDL with a Faijen Laminate stock, Timney trigger and 26" Stainless Kreiger Semi Bull sporter Barrel. I have compared the velocities of a Standard .30-06 from a 22" bbl shooting the same exact load from in my .30-06 AI (it fireformed the case of course) and the 4 " of bbl with the standard .30-06's max load was 200fps just due to the increased bbl length.

Now this doesn't mean that the .30-06 AI isn't a worthwhile cartridge. My rifle shoots a 165g Sierra Gameking at 3200FPS (I chronyed it yesterday), it shoots a 168g Berger VLD at 3124fps (same powder charge). These loads were safely developed using Quick load as a guide.

The Standard .30-06 Shooting a 165g Sierra gameking with a 22" bbl was only getting 2750fps.

So in order to get the velocity, you would need to do both. Now I know you don't want to change the bbl, but I was in the same situation as this action was my father's first hunting rifle. His comment was "boy, that's a really nice rifle, Can I have it back now?!?!?!"

As far a reaming it out, yes it can be done to a .300 Win mag, but the the Bolt face would have to be opened up and a Sako style extractor installed. The bottom would have to be opened up and the feed rails and ramp altered to feed the fatter cartridge. You might consider that the barrel of the rifle, after 40 or so years, may be a little worn as well, so you may be extending the life of the rifle by rebarreling it as well.

Just my thoughts,
Hope this helps,

Dan

Also, I can arrange for a Dummy .30-06 AI round if you would like. Send me a PM if interested.

Dan

"Are there any other .30 caliber cartridges that can be reamed into this barrel (safely) that would be worth a look?"

Not really. The -06 is really okay as it is. It's lasted as long as it has not from habit but because it's very good at what it does. There is no magic in another case.

You could make it a .300 Win mag. but that would cost a LOT, for both chambering and opening up the bolt face. And, in the end, you still wouldn't often use the slight advantages it can offer. IMHO, it's wiser to leave it alone and learn to love it as millions of others have!

I got a old 721 rem 30.06 made in 1951. I just had the barle cut and recrown it now is 20 1/2 now thats short! I had a lot of other work done to (and no I not done yet) laped lugs adjusted head space triger jub newer stock BDL hinged floor plate with allen bolts If you were to see it NOW you would say nice 700 BDL untill U look at the safty and the stamping on it HE HE. I am think about starting to hand load. Do you all think it /me could do better than a 1/2 MOA at a 100 that what it is doing right now with factory ammo off the bench. PS it is a deer hunting rifle and I want to go alaska caribou hunting!

Thanks again for the responses.

I've decided to leave the chamber alone. I am having it worked over a bit to improve accuracy assuming the bore is still in good shape. This should be true as the rifle has sat in a safe 99% of it's life and probably has less than 300 round fired through it. If it's not and I need to re-barrel it anyway, I'll be back with more questions.:)

HTML:
I'm considering having my '06 reamed out to AI specs and l would like help deciding if it's worth it.

You could consider the 30 Gibbs. It has more case capacity than the Ackley, but if the longer bullets are sitting back in the case it would not be of benefit.

Last edited:
Just a thought from reading previous posts...

While I have this rifle apart, is it possible to open up the bottom end to accept longer COL's with out too much modification? Presently I cannot seat my bullets close to the lands and keep them under mag length.

I had a 30-06 Rem 700 with 22in barrel gathering dust in my gun cabinet. Never did like that rifle. Recoil was awful for a 30-06 and accuracy was just so-so.

One day I decide to spruce it up a bit with a new wild and crazy laminated stock and a AI conversion. I read all the comments and reports about the minor increases in velocity etc. etc. Didn't care, I was doing it for more than just velocity. I was doing it for velocity, accuracy, brass life, and the main reason the COOL FACTOR. Everyone should have at least one rifle with the COOL FACTOR.

Well, I like it, I like it a lot. It shoots great and looks cool. I can safely push a 180gr bullet just over 2950fps. and my Lapua brass seems to last forever.

Compared to my original chamber the lighter 150-165gr bullet had little gain. Velocity gain was much higher with the heavier 180-200gr bullets.

I had a 30-06 Rem 700 with 22in barrel gathering dust in my gun cabinet. Never did like that rifle. Recoil was awful for a 30-06 and accuracy was just so-so.

One day I decide to spruce it up a bit with a new wild and crazy laminated stock and a AI conversion. I read all the comments and reports about the minor increases in velocity etc. etc. Didn't care, I was doing it for more than just velocity. I was doing it for velocity, accuracy, brass life, and the main reason the COOL FACTOR. Everyone should have at least one rifle with the COOL FACTOR.

Well, I like it, I like it a lot. It shoots great and looks cool. I can safely push a 180gr bullet just over 2950fps. and my Lapua brass seems to last forever.

Compared to my original chamber the lighter 150-165gr bullet had little gain. Velocity gain was much higher with the heavier 180-200gr bullets.

Well I thought I had my mind made up...:)

Thanks for the reply.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.