Advice On Loading the .300 WBY for 1500 yds

RFB

Looking for knowledge on best loads, best powders, and bullets to achieve maximum ranges with this caliber never hand loaded this round before. Thanks

I don't have a WBY , but the 215 hybrids have a well established reputation as one of the best available in .30 caliber for nearly any purpose .

Well for 1500 yards the higher the BC the better. The 300 Wby is close to the 300 RUM in performance and a lot of RUM shooters use the 230 Berger for ELR. The long Weatherby throat might work well with the 230 also. The Berger data book list several powers for the 230 and 300 Weatherby. Looks like they are running 2775 with a 26" barrel. And the Berger book, for the most part, is pretty conservative.

Gohring's hex coated 225 ELD is smokin. I wish I had some time to try it.

Might I ask what your intended purpose for this is?

Don't take this as offense, and I'm not trying to be a dick. i'm just curious...

This is your first post & you just joined today. You need help figuring out the components you need for loading a particular cartridge, which makes me think you're not a very seasoned reloader of this cartridge. You don't know the max affective range of the cartridge, which makes me think you're not a very experienced shooter/hunter/gun owner. But you have the skills to make 1,500 yard shots with a gun, cartridge, and handloads you're not experienced with?

Last edited:
Well for 1500 yards the higher the BC the better. The 300 Wby is close to the 300 RUM in performance and a lot of RUM shooters use the 230 Berger for ELR. The long Weatherby throat might work well with the 230 also. The Berger data book list several powers for the 230 and 300 Weatherby. Looks like they are running 2775 with a 26" barrel. And the Berger book, for the most part, is pretty conservative.

I was thinking a slow burning powder and about a 180 gr. am I thinking wrong?

Might I ask what your intended purpose for this is?

Don't take this as offense, and I'm not trying to be a dick. i'm just curious...

This is your first post & you just joined today. You need help figuring out the components you need for loading a particular cartridge, which makes me think you're not a very seasoned reloader of this cartridge. You don't know the max affective range of the cartridge, which makes me think you're not a very experienced shooter/hunter/gun owner. But you have the skills to make 1,500 yard shots with a gun, cartridge, and handloads you're not experienced with?
What's your point?

RFB, 180's won't get you there and a factory Weatherby rifle in that caliber likely won't either. Perhaps e-mail Berger with your rifle specs and they can give you a load starting point. As Barrelnut said they are quite conservative on their loads. The 230 Berger OTM is fairly easy to find an accurate load. I've helped a friend with a full custom 300 RUM reach 1000 with the 230's, but it was not easy. Good luck.

OK thanks Dosh. I do reload but both my sons are Long Range shooters and hunters. And I wanted to get in on their competition. I usually just shoot factory loads in the wby. I am comfortable and have taken game at the 5-600 yd range. But wanted to explore the limits on the wby. I was going to start working up a load with IMR4320 and some 180 speer boat tails I have on hand. I have my own gunsmithing shop and reloading room. The old man wants in on the fun.

RFB, 180's won't get you there and a factory Weatherby rifle in that caliber likely won't either. Perhaps e-mail Berger with your rifle specs and they can give you a load starting point. As Barrelnut said they are quite conservative on their loads. The 230 Berger OTM is fairly easy to find an accurate load. I've helped a friend with a full custom 300 RUM reach 1000 with the 230's, but it was not easy. Good luck.
I agree with DOSH.
The thin factory Weatherby barrel (HOWA barrel in my case)
was too whippy to tune easy. It can be done, I know this because I did, but it ate up half the barrel life before I got it there.

I have since sold that rifle and waiting on a Savage stealth 300 Win mag. It has a 9.3 twist from what I heard, and I think I can get the 225 ELD to 2900fps. The reason I bring that up is, I think a braked Win mag is good choice for someone wanting to get into some long range shooting.
It doesn't lag to far behind the Weatherby but makes up for it in data and price of brass.

Just throwing that out there.

You won't shoot a sporter barrel to 1500yds at least not very **** easy, but you can definitely get that sucker shooting well. I have a factory 300wby and use 212gr eldx in it, shoots aweome. .7-.8 Moa. My load mv is 2825 fps.
I used imr 7977, worked poorly because if had a wide es.
Had some imr 7828 and worked great with like an sd of 5, but I didn't feel like chatting the mv at different temps, so I bought some h1000, it's usually compared to imr 7828 so hopefully it'll work but haven't got my brass fully prepped for load work ups. I would recommend trying h1000 to start with and maybe the 208eldms for target although a lot of ppl love Berger hybrids

I shoot a 300 RUM brgr 210 gn at 3040 FPS, my max effective range for an elk is 1044 yds. I did it saturday it was a well placed shot in the neck it hit the spine and went up into the brain where we found it now it dropped in its tracks cuz i scrambled the neck and brains but the bullet opened up about 40%. This time it was very ethical but Im not to confident if I had a shot on the vitals if it would've made it to or thru the heart/lungs. I think it had 1400 lbs of energy they say 1200 on an elk. I need to calculate what a larger gn.308 bullet would do. I will use my 338 RUM with 250GN on elk over 1K from now on. I use 89 gn of retumbo. I do feel comfortable in trying 1K on a deer. It sounds like I'm bragging but I am not trying to that's just what had happened

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.