Anyone loading 7/300 Wby Mag?

Colby

I have a 7/300 Wby mag with a 30" Hart, that was smithed by Howard Wolfe and have a very good load worked up with IMR 7828ssc and 168 Sierras, but am trying out some 168 Bergers.

I am just interested if anyone has a 7/300 and what loads you have found work well?

Thanks in advance,
Colby

These are more popular than I ever knew. My dad has one done by Mr. Wolfe too.

I'm pretty sure he has his for sale if anyone is looking for one.

I have shot a 7mm-300 wby for about 35 years. When 7828 came out it made this one shine. Several powders now in that range work well but still my best accuracy/velocity loads are with 7828. This is an exceptional long range cartridge. With the introduction of the 7STW as a standard cartridge I think the 7-300 lost popularity but I still favor my 7-300 wby. I really think weatherby screwed the pooch on this one not making it available in the mk 5 rifle when it was hot about 30 years ago.

I also have one with a Hart 28 in. barrel that was put together by Pete at Cleveland Custom Gun back in 1972 for me. I haven't shot it in a while, I 'll have to get my load data out to see what loads I was using.
I built one because it had the PA. 1000 yd. bench rest record back then.
I was also using the 168gr Sierras. I loaded some NBT before I moved to Az but didn't get to finish my testing. When I dig out my loading manuals I'll post what I had.
Tarey

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.