300 WBY Mag

Strick27

Looking for some advice. I'm working up a load for a friends 300 WBY Mag. It's a custom Weaver Rifles with a 24" tube. Current load is 80 grains R22, Fed 215 primer, 178 ELDX, and hornady brass. With a COAL of 3.600. It groups well but the speeds are very high. I'm averaging 3340 FPS on chrono. I have confirmed speeds on other rifles with this chrono. Brass and primers look good and bolt is not stiff at all. I'm a bit worried about giving it back to him with this load. Any advice/input would be great.

My 26" RUM only runs 3325fps with 180's so yeah I'd say you're a touch fast. If your confident in your chrono I'd drop the charge and look for an accuracy node between 3100-3200fps.

Bater yes I think it's way fast and with the R22 temp sensitivity it worries me when it warms up. I would be happy with 3100-3200. What's odd is I'm at a lower charge than the max out of the hornady manual and with a longer COAL so I should be safe on pressure. But the speed says differently.
Wolf i have had the gun for 6months now and haven't been able to get my hands on H1000. That was my first choice but yeah.... i played a bit with h4831 but accuracy and speed were awful.

My 300Bee hit 3400fps with 180's in a 26" barrel that was confirmed with 3 different chrony's. Mine had a .500" freebore and digested more powder with safe pressures. I also ran these loads over a pressure trace, so the loads were quite safe.

Your loads might be just fine if there are no signs of excessive pressure.

Cheers.

I would find out if the custom smith went with the "Weatherby Freebore". Going with "standard freebore" ( which is less than "Weatherby Freebore"), and then risking someone shooting Weatherby Factory Cartridges is a mistake a smith doesn't want to make. Weatherby reportedly uses longer freebore to lower pressures while using greater charges. Quick Load shows your charge ,(Reloader 22 - 80.0 grs), to fill 98.2% of the cartridge. That's enough to make my liver quiver.

As you wrote you are using a Hornady Manual, I would also give Hornady a call for input.

Cast the chamber.

Last edited:
Thank you everyone for the input. I live in idaho and have been shooting in 50-70 degree weather. The last shooting session it was right at 70 degrees and that's when I averaged 3340. I called the smith that built the gun today and he said his guns tend to shoot fast and handle pressure better because of tight chambering. I told him what load I am using and he informed me that's the exact load he uses to test the rifles. I think I'm gona leave it be and hope it doesnt push over 3400 in 80-90 degree temperatures but really I doubt it will even be in use during those times.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.