300 wby in a wby vanguard?

Lshort

As the title says, I'm loading for a friend and can't seem to find anything his rifle likes better than factory,

I've extensively tried 180 Hornady sst's with h1000 powder
175 vlds with h1000
and 165 tsx's

does anyone have any advice for loading the vanguard line of rifles?

Only advice I have heard about WBY's is that the long throat poses a challenge. Some say that crimping the bullet holds it in the case a little longer, and for whatever reason, accuracy is better. Perhaps more uniform powder ignition?

I tried crimping with my friends 340 WBY and it did not shoot any better. But there are enough people out there that swear crimping helps that its worth a try I'd think.

My vanguard was the worse rifle I loaded for. I tried free floating, new stock, muzzle brake, heavy bullets, light bullets. I finally settled on a 1 moa load, I sold it to a guy who was perfectly happy with 1 moa.

My vanguard was the worse rifle I loaded for. I tried free floating, new stock, muzzle brake, heavy bullets, light bullets. I finally settled on a 1 moa load, I sold it to a guy who was perfectly happy with 1 moa.
If it were mine I'd consider re-barreling to something different, lol. But it's a buddy of mine and we're loading for the NM elk season. I just loaded up some 200 eldx's. We'll see tomorrow I guess

I cheat and use those limbsaver harmonic dampeners. For my brothers 300 bee I literally picked a load a couple grains under max with 205 bergers and rl25 and adjusted until groups were inside a 1" square at 200 yards. If you're in a hurry, give it a try

Mine loves 180 Barnes over 7828 ssc, found best accuracy at around 2950 fps.
Good luck!

Like @Dr. Vette siad, Vangaurd load should not be any different than MKV
I have 4 MKV, and I have a load for each. All at standard COAL
180 Nosler BT with IMR4350 (24", 12 twist rifle) Remington LR primer (.4" @100) Rifle retired
180 Barnes TSX with IMR 7828SSC CCI LR primer (0.43" @200)
200 Nosler PT with RL22 Federal 215 primer (less than 0.4" @100)
200 Nolser AB with RL22 Federal 215 Primer (less than 0.4" @100)
I have a Model 70 CRF that I have not shot yet, not waiting supplies now since I have three ready to go

@Dr. Vette what is the COAL for TTSX and what primer

Bore scope it. I got one that I couldn't get to shoot anything except 180ttsx, and they would only shoot well for a couple rounds before it would open up. Turns out the bore looked like the Grand Canyon. I've honestly never seen another bore this bad.

A carbon six prefit barrel fixed that. Since the action wasnt long enough to seat heavy bullets out very far, I switched to 300PRC also.

Recent Posts