300 wby in a wby vanguard?

My son settled on 185 Berger VLDH with H4831SC. Well under MOA at 200+. His is a Vanguard with laminated stock bedded and a Timney trigger. The 26" Mark V barrel may get a few fps more over the 24" Vanguard.
Good luck

I feel your pain. I own one and it has been a big disappointment. They send a test target with the rifle and I have never ben able to replicate the MOA group with the recommended load. It has become a safe queen until I have more time to fuss with it and figure out the load or issue. The test target was shot with 180 grain factory ammo.

As the title says, I'm loading for a friend and can't seem to find anything his rifle likes better than factory,

I've extensively tried 180 Hornady sst's with h1000 powder
175 vlds with h1000
and 165 tsx's

does anyone have any advice for loading the vanguard line of rifles?
I have 2 of these rifles, and have found that they really need to be properly bedded and free-floated to reach their accuracy potential. My pet load in my 300 WEA consists of Norma brass, Federal 215 Match primers, 168 gr. Barnes, TTSX bullets, and either Reloader 22, or 23. Velocity is in excess of 3300 fps, and groups run a very consistent .6 to .7 for 3 shots. Bullets are seated to fit the magazine, which results in 150 thousands of jump before the engaging the lands. I've never found a conventional bullet that could group as well.

Good luck in your pursuit!

I would use the primers you listed if I could find them. I exhausted my supply some time ago some I am down to Remington 9 1/2 magnums and about 10 federal. I have the other components and they work well in my other rifles. This could very well be a bedding issue.

I don't recall seeing one, and I remember running a folded dollar bill under the barrel all the way to the action. This rifle has languished because I was shooting my RUM instead. Sad, really.

The best advice I received when I learned to reload the 300 Wby in my MK5, is to seat the bullet out as far as possible, to the max length of the box magazine.
Make certain that when you load all three rounds in the box, that none will hang up.

My initial load was around 1 moa, took the above advice, it shrank to. 3 -. 4 moa.

Advice is only on Weatherby rifles with the freebore..
I also use a Lee Factory crimp die.

Over the years I have heard the same advice from many Wby reloaded, they too seen their groups shrink over 50% when bullets are seated to max.

Lastly, Fed 215 or 215M primers are highly recommended.

Good Luck

Recent Posts