Reloder 19 in 300 Wby

aOWENc

I just ordered 5 pounds of Reloder 19 from Powder Valley. I'm hoping I didn't make a bad decision, but it was selling out quick and I really didn't have any powder to load for my 300 Wby.

There seems to be varying opinions on this powder. Some people say it is temp sensitive while others say this issue is overblown. Is this something I should worry about?

I plan to load 168 grain Barnes TTSX bullets. The Barnes data shows a starting load of 79 grains, and a Max load of 85.5c. It also has RL19 as the highest velocity powder for 168 grain bullets.

Does anybody have any experience using RL19 in this case or similar cartridges?

Thanks in advance.

Little experience in the Weatherby, have never used RE19 in mine.
Have used heaps of RE19 in my various 338's, however.
It is a good powder, a little temp sensitive, but nothing like RE22.
For that weight bullet, and being a mono, it should perform pretty well.
Lots of folks still use 4831 in the 300Bee, it's not ideal, but does the job too.
The double base properties of RE19 will yield more velocity per grain of powder to an equivalent single base powder.
Good shooting and don't sweat the temp sensitive issue, you may never experience it.

Cheers.

Little experience in the Weatherby, have never used RE19 in mine.
Have used heaps of RE19 in my various 338's, however.
It is a good powder, a little temp sensitive, but nothing like RE22.
For that weight bullet, and being a mono, it should perform pretty well.
Lots of folks still use 4831 in the 300Bee, it's not ideal, but does the job too.
The double base properties of RE19 will yield more velocity per grain of powder to an equivalent single base powder.
Good shooting and don't sweat the temp sensitive issue, you may never experience it.

Cheers.
Thanks for the info! The only other powder I did have some of was 4831. The RL19 should get me a bit higher velocity, according to the data I should be able to get to 3300 FPS with relative ease.

I only used R-19 in my 6.5 Remington magnum 26 inch 40X heavy barrel. It required magnum primers to light without hangfires. I got vertical spread at 800 yards as the day heated up.

There are probably better powders available for your .300 weatherby. Good luck

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.