Long Range Pursuit TV Show

I got to watch the show tonight. All it all it was pretty decent. The shot directly into the sun was a little hard to see but after I rewound it about 3 times I could just catch the bullet wash going out a. The cnc barrel set up was interesting. I'm still trying to figure out why the range rod was held in the tail stock though. I wish the best to both Aaron and Mike for putting together a long range tv show.

Kevin,

How do you hold the range rod?? This is a method that Gordy Gritters has developed ( he shows this method on his Grizzly dvd ) and has worked well for me, but I am open to any alternate method.

I couldn't understand why it was held in the tailstock because most every tailstock is not dead on center of the spindle axis. I've adjusted and shimmed my tailstock so it's indicated dead nuts but if I remove the dead center, slide the tailstock back and forth then lock it back down even with the same torque spec. it's out a little. If your indicating off of the barels bore than the indicating rod should just be in the barrels bore not acted on by the tailstock. Maybe I'm missing something but it just doesn't make sense to me. I know there's a dozen different ways to chamber a barrel, not all of them are wrong, just different. As long as your getting good results in the end something must be working right.

I use PTG's indicating rods that have a removable pilot to fit the bore precisely. I hold the barrel in a fixture I built that has 8 brass capped set screws simliar to that of GTR's action blueprinting fixture. I'll put 2 .0001" indicators on the rod. One right where it comes out of the barrel and the other about 5" down the indicator rod. By manipulating the 8 screws I can dial the bore true to my spindles axis to within .0001" on both indicators. If I only used 1 indicator say right at the barrel and dial it in true, the barrel is not truly dialed in and can be in a cone with the point at where the barrel contacts the screws as the fulcrum point.

I couldn't understand why it was held in the tailstock because most every tailstock is not dead on center of the spindle axis. I've adjusted and shimmed my tailstock so it's indicated dead nuts but if I remove the dead center, slide the tailstock back and forth then lock it back down even with the same torque spec. it's out a little. If your indicating off of the barels bore than the indicating rod should just be in the barrels bore not acted on by the tailstock. Maybe I'm missing something but it just doesn't make sense to me. I know there's a dozen different ways to chamber a barrel, not all of them are wrong, just different. As long as your getting good results in the end something must be working right.

I use PTG's indicating rods that have a removable pilot to fit the bore precisely. I hold the barrel in a fixture I built that has 8 brass capped set screws simliar to that of GTR's action blueprinting fixture. I'll put 2 .0001" indicators on the rod. One right where it comes out of the barrel and the other about 5" down the indicator rod. By manipulating the 8 screws I can dial the bore true to my spindles axis to within .0001" on both indicators. If I only used 1 indicator say right at the barrel and dial it in true, the barrel is not truly dialed in and can be in a cone with the point at where the barrel contacts the screws as the fulcrum point.

Kevin, Next time we talk I will explain the 3 W's on that particular set-up.

I talked with Aaron this sat. at the elk show in reno,he was very helpful and offered to upgrade my huskemaw to the nightforce for a very good price.I used the new range finder and handled two of his other rifles.All of the products are great.I do not get the channels that run the shows so i will have to get clips off the net,but if they are as good as the botw videos im sure they will be great.I have been using the lr1000 for a year and the rifle is aweaome.I wish the Davidsons all the luck in the world.Im sure the show will be great.

I watch most all of the shows and take them for what they are worth. Some are very interesting and some are not. Some I watch because of the animals they hunt not because of the "celebrity or professinal" hunters that are on the show. Take them for what they are worth.

This just being my 2 cents, I have watched the 3 main shows, best of the west, long range pursuit and christiansen hunting show. I really like John Porter, he knows his stuff and some day I hope to be able to afford a hunt with him. John Mogle, well if you can't say anything nice then keep quiet so I will and Aaron and Mike with long rang pursuit, just can't get into it, Aaron may be a nice guy but sometimes it seems as he's talking down to everyone, one of the latest shows when they were hunting billy goats I was not impressed with their guide at all as he did not seem too happy about them wanting to go after the one they shot. I wish them the best of luck.
I would still rather watch these shows then be stuck watching Hannah Montana

+1 on Hannah Montana comment. DVR is the only way I can pull that off:)

I enjoy both BOTW and Long Range Pursuit Aaron seems to be the techie and Mike's personality and enthusiasm make it for me. Though I live in long range paradise I'm still new to this type of hunting so I like some of the tips and background stuff on both shows.

John Porter is the real deal but I guess you can only get so much sheep hunting footage in a given year.

Heck, a major factor for many of us in watching these shows is to fuel our hunting dreams and to pass the time until our next range session or hunting trip.

Matt

just my view on all the shows,it helps me to learn other parts of the chase and thrill of it all.a lot of guys seem to talk down things they cant or wont do or try.i just like to watch real hunting and outdoor stuff.to the anti groups it is all wrong,but if their opinions counted toall of the real hunters then the shows would not be on tv.all in all i think they all have good points and bad,but that is life.i would like to see all of the shows on the net,cause i dont have cable.i hope they keep up the filming,dont care what they hunt i just like to watch,till the weather gets good.good luck to all hunters.

Thanks for the support guys. We try to have tips and content for the beginner to the expert--thats a hard task to pull off! I am a gear head and engineer, so if my stuff is a little dry, please forgive me.

Mike has a lot of passion for hunting, and it comes across well in the show. He also keeps me excited about getting out there. One thing you might notice, is that mike happens to shoot all the big stuff, I'm still trying to figure that one out.

We do upload the full episodes online at Gunwerks | Long Range Pursuit - Home if you dont get them on your network.

Aaron, I can honestly say I do enjoy your show a whole lot more then the old carbon wach N stack. I don't know John Mogle or any of you guys, the closest I have come to meeting any of the long range shooters is Ed Rochnowski, I spoke with him at our little sportsmans show here in Boise Idaho.
Really about the only complaint I have is that you need to make your show, products and most everything in general more appealing to those of us that don't have the money to drop on a guided hunt with John Porter or even ever have the chance to own or let alone shoot one of your gunwerks rifles. Its quite discouraging to know that worked and slaved and saved your money to buy a remington sendero, which remington claims is one of the most acurate factory guns right out of the box, to have a guy who went out and bought a Tikka rifle and it shoots better groups right out of the box with factory ammo.
One thing I think would be neat is if you guys took your operation on the road, give everyone a chance to get a hands on feel for your equipment, have the ability to even shoot your rifles. Also bring along the gear you guys sell, heck you never know maybe someone could afford to buy a gun?? It would be nice to be able to meet you and your brother. I know if you brought your traveling show to Boise Idaho you would have sold out shows and probably have to stick around for at least a week. I can honestly say that when the big shake up happened at BOTW, at first I was not impressed and didn't like the copper firearms of Montana, but recently had the chance to hold and get the feel for their 6.5 X 284 Model 22, other then not liking the fact its a single shot, its a very nice gun and could see myself saving up my money to buy one.
I know none of this will happen, but its nice to give you my opinion.
Thanks
Chuck in Boise

Thanks for the post and keep up the good work bringing us informative shows. I don't really pay that much attention to who shoots what or how big it is. I just enjoy watching hunting shows, particularly if they show some technical info..

For budget gear, its hard to beat a Remington. We have seen some of the new Savage LRH models shoot well also. Try the new Vortex Viper HS LR scope and turret system, street is around $550!

I've always liked the Cooper rifle myself, we've mounted scopes on a half dozen M22 Phoenix rifles in 6.5-284. Its a great budget rifle in cool calibers, street is around $1400. If you add a budget LR scope like the Vortex or Huskemaw, and you will have less than $2000 or $2500, respectively, into the whole shooting system!

I really like the new show. I like the tech tips And love seeing those long range shots. Only complaint I have is I wish they would give more information of the caliber/cartridge used every time they show a hunt/shot.
BOTW has become more like every other hunting show on TV lately. There are 200 other shows out there showing kills at average distances with special guests.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.