TV shows can't drop animals?

So here's my reality. If I don't anchor the critter on the ground (which I'd 95% of the time I have in over 126 harvested big game animals) then I have to find it as fast as possible. If I leave it overnight I won't be retrieving it the next day because bears and/or wolves will be all over it....And ya, every time I see "lets just come back in the morning", I just shake my head....

My favorite shows are the episodes where a group of guys get together at some fancy south Texas hunting resort, stuff their faces with BBQ and beer, play some grab *** for half the show before heading out in a Ford King Ranch power stroke diesel to a deer stand dressed in full camo with a 338 lapua to shoot a whitetail at 100 yards off bait.

Cracks me up

In all seriousness, I do like shows like Meat Eater, Western Hunter, Shockeys Uncharted, Fresh Tracks, Solo Hunter where its a realistic hunt in beautiful county. I really respect some of those hunts Shockey does in the mountains of Afghanistan and Pakistan to just name a couple. Touph guy.
The two weeks they did packing in by Argo and foot into the AK interior for another two weeks was probably the one that impressed me the most. I think there was only one guy in the who bunch under 60.

One thing I like about Shockey is that they show their misses and poor shots along with all of the good ones.

Reality TV in general is a total sham (with a few exceptions of course). I used to watch American Pickers, just two dudes traveling America pickin' right?.... nope. My dad was on an episode showing/selling some of his father's collection and There were SEVERAL semis, trailers, roadies, film crew, special researchers with all the computer equipment necessary to find out the obscure etc.... can't watch the show anymore. Totally ruined it for me. Feel the same about almost all shows now.... just when I was getting over the emotional let-down from Santa... (sigh)

I can only watch so much of it and then I tune out. It is interesting to see how folks hunt in different locations of the country, because it's often much different than the hunting I do in AK.

Last edited:
Other than a few shows just turn the channel and do yourself a favor....NO DEER hunting shows ever, they are so full of crapparooney it's sickening..

I am a TVaholic (that is the first step...admitting the problem) and have only ever watched one LR hunting show. They were using a 6-284 to hunt elk at 800 yards. Never watched another one.

Tod

I can only watch so much of it and then I tune out. It is inteeresting to see how folks hunt in different locations of the country, because it's often much different than the hunting I do in AK.
Can't speak for best of the west but I know the EOL AND GUNWERKS guys
Personally and they are great shooters
Period. I have shot with both of these
Companies and you would not want to park your *** in front of them at any distance. There are people on this site that
Make claims of 100,s of one shot kills and no one cuts them down. One in particular has his own web site and hates gunwerks
Because they have made it in a tough
Business . Oh and I speak the truth.

So here's my reality. If I don't anchor the critter on the ground (which I'd 95% of the time I have in over 126 harvested big game animals) then I have to find it as fast as possible. If I leave it overnight I won't be retrieving it the next day because bears and/or wolves will be all over it....And ya, every time I see "lets just come back in the morning", I just shake my head....

Yep, and if you challenge them on it you are duly chastised. Done that already and my mom as well, you just get blown off as an idiot. Unfortunately these guys are the new "Experts" and are where new hunters, who have no mentors in the sport, look for expert advice. And of course every animal you shoot HAS to be a B&C trophy, that's the only thing worth shooting and the norm in the world of large private farms and foodplots.

Big game animals are tough. Not all of them are DRT and I'd say most of the big game animals I've seen shot do run off a short distance before pilling up.
I've hunted with a few guys who claim most of their shots are DRT shots but that doesn't happen when I'm there to see it.

Can't speak for best of the west but I know the EOL AND GUNWERKS guys
Personally and they are great shooters
Period. I have shot with both of these
Companies and you would not want to park your *** in front of them at any distance. There are people on this site that
Make claims of 100,s of one shot kills and no one cuts them down. One in particular has his own web site and hates gunwerks
Because they have made it in a tough
Business . Oh and I speak the truth.

There is no doubt those guys can shoot and i enjoy their shows as well.

And of course every animal you shoot HAS to be a B&C trophy, that's the only thing worth shooting and the norm in the world of large private farms and foodplots.

The last time I killed an out of state buck I posted it on a web sight. It was a rather mundane, maybe even less than average, three point mule deer. One of the guys who "always" kills B&C bucks at long range of course chided me. I responded, "So do you think you had more fun than me? I actually experience a little buck fever. Did you?"

By the way it was a "long range hunt." I found it with my binoculars a long way off. But I killed it at no more than 100 yards.

I am a TVaholic (that is the first step...admitting the problem) and have only ever watched one LR hunting show. They were using a 6-284 to hunt elk at 800 yards. Never watched another one.

Tod
Tracks across Africa and Deadliest Hunts are two worth watching. I'm not sure if DH is still on though, haven't see a new episode in quite some time.

The last time I killed an out of state buck I posted it on a web sight. It was a rather mundane, maybe even less than average, three point mule deer. One of the guys who "always" kills B&C bucks at long range of course chided me. I responded, "So do you think you had more fun than me? I actually experience a little buck fever. Did you?"

By the way it was a "long range hunt." I found it with my binoculars a long way off. But I killed it at no more than 100 yards.
If you ever lose that feeling it will be time to quit. If I'm just culling animals and/or filling the freezer it's about as exciting as a trip to the range to sight in.

The second I step out of the truck for an actual hunt though even if I'm only walking a few hundred yards to find my favorite tree to lean on while I watch my predator senses kick in, heart rate increases and I'm excited front to back, top to bottom.

I've killed plenty of trophy animals and a whole lot of meat animals but it's the totality of the experience that makes it all worthwhile.

I was pretty bored with it all until I started stretching the range testing my own abilities and the abilities of my equipment and that added dimension really got me motivated again.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts