Long range bullets that will penetrate up close without blowing up.

There seems to be two classes of bullets and if I am incorrect here then I am sure someone will correct me. There are those bullets that will as a rule fragment and blow up at speed but as they slow down 25 or 2400 fps the will penetrate and expand as normal. or those that will expand as normal at speed 31 to 3300 fps and at distance will not do much expanding at 700 plus yards. Would it be impossible for some one like Nosler to take a Partition and add a boat-tail design and an ELDX type heat shield type tip on it . Jack Carter was getting close. Think it would work at up close ranges and also open up at long range?
I'm not sure what is being considered a long range bullet in this post. I have attached a picture of a Barnes 180gr .30 Cal,XXX. It was the finishing shot I took on a buffalo with a .300 WinMag. It broke the left shoulder and was recovered on the right side under the hide. The shot was taken from roughly 30 yards. It retained 72% of its weight. I used this same load to get my largest Elk. I don't remember the yardage, but it was long for me. It took out the heart and left a good size exit hole. Good performance on both occasions.
8F30521D-3956-4D2E-8CC1-38A261C1D8B3.jpeg

As suggested earlier there is give and take with the different bullet constructions. One of the anomalies we have experienced with monolithic Bullets is their failure to expand in close, especially in the smaller calibers. Contrary to my earlier described scenario of the whitetail being tumbled by the 7mm ABLR at close range we have witnessed monolithic Bullets zip through game at close range with them acting at times like they haven't even been hit, or run, stop, start grazing again then start wobbling or even run for the hills, all eventually dying with exit holes no bigger than the entry hole.

As to ABLR's not being as accurate as other types of bullet the rifle described earlier shot the attached group and shot a sub 3" group at a 1,000 yards...0E765F36-FD53-4DB1-9B0C-CE57277FAEA3.jpeg

The people that take those really long shots at game do so because they are confident that they can make the shot. They aren't thinking I might be able to hit, they know they can. They practice alot and are very good at it, so let them do their thing, and congrats to them for their incredible shooting abilities.

The LRX is your best choice. Functions down to 1600 fps which is bettt than most lead core. Don't let the BC scare you as most on here are not capable of killing animals, nor should they be past 900 yds. Also, the non melting tip from Hornady is a myth & great marketing lots have fell for. Tips don't melt.
The LRX is rated for optimal expansion down to 1500 fps.
If I had a 30 Cal I'd be all over the new 212 LRX Bore Rider.
They're available now directly from Barnes BTW.
I just spoke with a guy from Barnes the other day and it sounds like a 338 Bore Rider is next!

I've had good luck so far with Matrix Bullets in my 7mm RM with their 168 gr VLD Hunting offerings. I've used it to take wild cattle under a hundred yds blowing through both shoulders even shattering the "knuckle" where the shoulder blade joins to the front leg and absolutely flattening axis deer and sheep out to 650 yds. With their high BC, consistency, accuracy and performance I'm surprised more people don't shoot them.

I concur with the last 500 yards statement that he is respond to. If you need the meat to feed your family then you should take the mile shot to try to kill that animal, otherwise, the experience is about you and your super skills and not about respecting the life of a living breathing thing that requires the requisite respect it deserves. SO I guess the person that responded always has the ability to kill the animal humanely - after all that is the name of this site - long range hunting. Hopefully most that think killing any animal at 1000 meters will flat out miss due to wind and other variables (except the genius that posted this response). I think that shooting long distances is quite interesting at plates/targets and I admire the skills and money it takes to do this.

To reiterate, If I take the shot because the survival of me and my family depends on the meat, I can rational wounding the animal.
Please feel free to dazzle me with all of the times you made 1000+ shots with empirical evidence.

Sorry for the rant.

Dr. T
You've got to be kidding me!! What is it about coming to a Long Range Hunting forum then start preaching to the members about how impossible it is or how they should hunt like you!!
The reason most of the guys I hunt with are very skilled long rang hunters is they wanted to do a BETTER job at the final act, they got tired of how and what hunting was considered and wanted to find a better, cleaner way for the animals we are taking. I have a great amount of respect for the game I take, that is why I put in far more time and effort so that when I do pull the trigger REGARDLESS of range that animal dies quickly and cleanly with the least amount of stress to them or other animals in the herd, if I don't have a perfect, clean killing shot I don't pull the trigger, that's what long range hunting is about not yardage but putting as much effort and skill into that final part as you do the whole rest of the hunt!!

I re-read a post about respecting game. I don't respect a lot of people. The idea I respect something I intentionally go out to kill and eat makes no since to me. Kind of like I sure respect the potatoes I planted to eat. That doesn't mean I don't think they are beautiful, though.

I thought talking E T H I C S was against forum rules . I keep seeing it more and more . I wrote the word correctly and got a forum 1 violation . SMH
I wrote that word and got the violation notice also. It was in the context of so someone couldn't question it. Not like the above posts insinuate.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.