Long range bullets that will penetrate up close without blowing up.

Results from this past fall on our 1 mile deer rifle spec... 150 Gr 7mm Nosler ABLR 3,255 FPS at the muzzle

60 Yard broadside impact on management Whitetail, Literally "Rolled aka Tumbled" the deer over for a full 360* (like it was a steel silhouette target) DRT. Normal entry wound, close to a quarter sized exit wound.

Based on confirmed DOPE to 1,000 it will have an expansion threshold to just north of 1,500 yards

In my 300 RUM, I have had very good performance with the Scirocco 180 at both short and long range on whitetail deer

My STW shoots 160gr AB at 3200fps and 168gr ABLR at 3125fps into the same hole (or close enough) out to about 750yds. I sight in for the 168 ABLR, load my magazine with the 160 AB and carry both. I figure if I am going to shoot past 600yds at an animal I better have time to evaluate and switch out to the ABLR. Otherwise I shouldn't be shooting.

Ah...yes. The search for the Holy Grail continues. This is a thread that pops up every couple of years. Your monolithic bullets such as Hammer and Barnes, seem to perform well at close and distant ranges - provided you stay within minimum velocity requirements for expansion. The primary problem with these type of bullets is low BC. Sure, you can dial for elevation, but wind will get you every time at longer distances. A low BC increases your margin for error on wind calls.

On the other end of the spectrum, we have the VLD designs such as Berger, ELD-X, etc. that have great BC's that buck the wind much better, but have an Achilles heel when it comes to shoulder/bone shots at closer distances.

In the middle, you have the bonded bullets such as the Accubond. Decent BC's, but not as good as the heavy-for-caliber VLD's. The tend to do a better job of holding together with high velocity impact shots, but nearly as well as the monos. These are probably the best compromise bullets between the two. The AB long range bullets has some real potential for bridging the gp, but i have found them to be inconsistent in terms of accuracy with my reloading. Some calibers fir better than others.

IMO, there is no one bullet that does it all. Everybody has to make some kind of choice and adjust for the required compromises. For me, if my rifle likes the Bergers, I shoot them and modify my aim point from high shoulder to lung/boiler room with shots at 400 yds and under. My 6.5-06 AI never did like the 140 gr. Bergers, so I ended up shooting the 130 gr. Accubonds in that rifle. They did well, but my self-imposed absolute distance in wind probably suffered by a couple hundred yards or so.

Hammer recommends 1800 FPS impact velocity for optimal results. My load carries 1800 FPS well beyond 900 yards so it must not be a long range bullet. Never mind all the critters that were taken at 700+ last season.
I think the way I would have said it would be that the wind drift with a 177 Hammer is 25+% more than with high BC bullets like 180 ELDM or 195 Berger. BC is worth more at "long range" than many other attributes because sophisticated calculators now live in our optics. Drops are dead on, but the wind can and does change a LOT over 800-900 1200 yds. Diminished wind effect is priceless and that comes from 2 values: increased velocity and high BC. Hammers are great performers on game... unless you miss. When Steve figures a way to add a tip and improve BC, Ill be all over them Hammers.

Look at the new Barnes Bore Rider. 212 gr Barnes LRX with a .705 Ballistic Coefficient. Yes it requires a faster twist rate, but it would seem to fit exactly what you want. Mono performance with high Ballistic Coefficient.

Badlands super dozer,next to berger ,240 vrs 250 BC .71, .68
IMG_3004.JPG

Last edited:
Barnes LRX and Nosler Accubond LR. They shoot great out to 1000 yds and kill stuff near and far. They have acceptable BC and really hold together. I've never Drank the Kool-Aid on Hammer or other bizzaro bullets for "long range". Just not necessary IMO, especially if you take heart shots or other good shots in the vitals. I have on my desk a 180 gr Barnes TTSX from my .300 Wby that went through a Kudu 70 yds away at 3200 fps (about 3100 by there), quartering away shot, went in just behind the left ribs, then through the heart and lodged in the opposite right shoulder. The remaining weight is 120 gr. Close range, high velocity impact with exceptional penetration. Had a 145 gr Barnes LRX from a 7mm-08 at 2844 MV go through and through, heart shot on Mule Deer at 475 yds, DRT shot--not a long, long range but a good wound channel exiting demonstrated good opening at around 2K velocity. Bottom line, G1 BC over .5 and solid copper or bonded bullet will get 'er done on both ends in my experience. I love this website and shoot long range but usually keep my animal shots to 500 or less...why shoot a game animal at 800 yds? Can't you get any closer or find another animal?

Hammer recommends 1800 FPS impact velocity for optimal results. My load carries 1800 FPS well beyond 900 yards so it must not be a long range bullet. Never mind all the critters that were taken at 700+ last season.

I guess those critters were mad at you for using a low BC hammer.😀

Ah...yes. The search for the Holy Grail continues. This is a thread that pops up every couple of years. Your monolithic bullets such as Hammer and Barnes, seem to perform well at close and distant ranges - provided you stay within minimum velocity requirements for expansion. The primary problem with these type of bullets is low BC. Sure, you can dial for elevation, but wind will get you every time at longer distances. A low BC increases your margin for error on wind calls.

On the other end of the spectrum, we have the VLD designs such as Berger, ELD-X, etc. that have great BC's that buck the wind much better, but have an Achilles heel when it comes to shoulder/bone shots at closer distances.

In the middle, you have the bonded bullets such as the Accubond. Decent BC's, but not as good as the heavy-for-caliber VLD's. The tend to do a better job of holding together with high velocity impact shots, but nearly as well as the monos. These are probably the best compromise bullets between the two. The AB long range bullets has some real potential for bridging the gp, but i have found them to be inconsistent in terms of accuracy with my reloading. Some calibers fir better than others.

IMO, there is no one bullet that does it all. Everybody has to make some kind of choice and adjust for the required compromises. For me, if my rifle likes the Bergers, I shoot them and modify my aim point from high shoulder to lung/boiler room with shots at 400 yds and under. My 6.5-06 AI never did like the 140 gr. Bergers, so I ended up shooting the 130 gr. Accubonds in that rifle. They did well, but my self-imposed absolute distance in wind probably suffered by a couple hundred yards or so.

More like it pops up every month.

I love this website and shoot long range but usually keep my animal shots to 500 or less...why shoot a game animal at 800 yds? Can't you get any closer or find another animal?
Why, because it's a shot I'm prepared for and why would I not take the best shot I have and the best position and change anything unless I'm more caught up on range than doing a good job. I've hiked back in and put myself in the absolute best position to clearly see and take an elk feeding up on a south face, I've spent many hours here figuring it out and shooting it and watching elk, I can sit and watch the elk feed out and pick the exact elk I want to take then spend more time on a perfect lethal shot and when I take it the rest of the herd just feed of leaving the piled up elk, no running around pushing elk into the next county or pulling the trigger and then walking up there to see what happened, just a one shot, nice clean kill and easy recovery with minimal stress to the elk, sure I have to do more work, higher skill level, better equipment but I much prefer that to having to be at a certain range to be minute of elk.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.