stepping up long range

stlewis

My name is Steve and I am an avid big game hunter. This year I have decided to step up my game and get serious on long range capabilities. As I am located in Nevada often times we find ourselves with cross canyon shots for Elk and Dear at 400-800 yards. I own a Browning WSM 300, a Leupold VX3 4.5x14x40 CDS and am having a break put on gun to reduce recoil.

To get the Leupold CDS configured I am looking for a good "off-the-shelf" round capable of reaching 400 - 800 yards that can be used against deer and elk. Do you have any suggestions for me on ammo and/or things to consider to step up my long range capability?

Thanks a lot!

Steve

I am in the exact same boat as you. i just started getting into the long range shooting and hunting game. i want to be able to take it to the next level as well (400-800 yards). I also have a browning a-bolt 300. wsm but i just topped it off with Vortex Viper PST 4-16x50mm FFP sitting on some burris XTR and EGW 20 moa base. That was my major start to the long range business.

i know the browning's aren't the greatest long range gun but i know they will do to atleast 600 yards and im hoping to the 800 yards mark.

As for bullets, my thought would be the Federal premium 180 grain nosler accubonds.

When you get beyond 400 yards I can't see a factory load performing well enough. Now I'm not saying that a Fedral Premium 180gr Nosler Accubond won't perform well out there but will it in your rifle? You have to shoot within 1 MOA or better consistently in my opinion to shoot at game at those ranges and that's why most everyone who shoots to those distances while hunting reload.

Of course you and your rifle have to be tuned up and capable at those long ranges and in my opinion it only works well with a good load worked up in that rifle and proven at the longest range at which your capable.

Im with kcebcj, I dont see a factory load performing for you consistently at those ranges. Do you know of anyone that might possibly reload for you? Or it might be time to start learning. Hope everything works out and good luck.

my suggestion is get the best shooting factory hunting load. and then test it a few time under different conditions at 600- 800 yards. my guess is that you will start reloading but you never know until you pull the trigger. just because a load shoots great at 100-200 does not mean it will shoot great at the 600yd and especially at 800 yards.

Gents - great info! I have thought about reloading but that will be phase 2 in "stepping up long range". This year I want to get rifle and optics situatated and go after the basics; I have shot federal premium for years and unless otherwise informed will used federal factory loads this year as a starting point.

Thanks again!

Steve

300 Winchester Short Magnum

I'd suggest getting one box each of the 180's Hornday Interlock, Horady SST, and Nosler Accubonds and see what works best in your rifle.

If you find a load that it really likes at 300, then move on out to 600. If you can maintain sub MOA at those ranges you have a load that will work fine.

It's going to take a good bit of practice and good note taking as to conditions and results to become proficient though at ranges beyond 600. Out that far it's just about marksmanship, beyond 600yds though life gets pretty complicated.

If you're really set on factory ammo for now, i'd suggest the HSM Extended Range Ammunition, most (if not all) are loaded wit Bergers, which have the capability of offering better accuracy at extended ranges. The few review i've read have been fairly promising, I would tend to thing they would be the most accurate "way out there", unfortunately you'll never know until you try them.

The Hunting Shack Ammunition

Got to be honest with ya, anything in the 180 bonded bullet group is going to work very well to 800yds. The bigger problem is accuracy. I'll agree with Federal premium, and the Winchester 180 Ballistic tip will work rather well also. RWS has a high penetration round on sale that is a 184grn bullet. The BC isn't great, but have a sneak'in suspicion it will be deadly. Midway USA has the RWS on sale. They are great prices and will give you outstanding brass to reload with.

Tank

2nd on the HSM ammunition. I normally start any new rifle with a box before starting load development. They are loaded with Berger's (normally a little lighter than I prefer) but perform very well and are actually less costs than other premium rounds. HSM is great to work with. I believe the load the GunWorks product.

You could also look into the bullets that Gunwerks sells. This is what they offer for their turnkey systems and are being shot out to 1000 yards regularly. That being said I think they are probably just the HSM mentioned above, wrapped in Gunwerks packaging. Here's the Link.

Gunwerks - Ammunition

IMHO you're going about it backwards. If you're going to practice enough to shoot game at 600-800 yds, you will be able to actually save money by buying basic (but quality) reloading equipment and rolling your own, vs buying premium ammo at approximately $3/shell. Getting the gun squared away doesn't mean diddly if your ammo won't back it up.

If you want to stick with factory, try every reasonable round and go with what shoots best in your individual rifle. But at that range, going to handloading is really a necessity. While you can go to extremes with it, learning what you need to for what you want to do is pretty basic.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.