Long range build 7mm RM vs 300 WM

Bigeclipse

Ok guys,
I am in the process of building a budget savage semi-custom. Just looking for some advice on which of the two calibers to get for specifically my needs. Please dont comment on "I should get a different caliber" lets just keep it to these two. I will list facts for my situation below.

1) This will be deer ONLY rifle. we do get black bear tags, but in my past 5 years of hunting have yet to see one...and if I did it would likely be under 100 yard shot in the areas they hang out around where I live so I do not think it will matter if it was a 7mm or 300 win in that case.

2) Distance will mostly be sub 500yards BUT we are thinking of going on a hunt next year to an area that has 600-700 yard shots. I know for under 500 yards, both rifles are over kill...you can never have to many guns so I dont mind this fact.

3) Recoil...I know this is subjective. I have owned a 7 WSM, 3006 and a 300WSM. The 300WSM was shooting factory 165 grain fusions out of a lightweight browning xbolt hunter. I thought the recoil was sharp but not terrible, and after 10 rounds at the range I would start flinching BUT under 10 shots I was ok. I am NOT planning on getting a muzzlebrake in either situation so please dont comment on that. I have been really focusing on keeping all flinching under control and I have gotten better at it. I currently still own the 3006 but do not have the WSMs anymore.

4) Reloading costs. I know the 300win mag will use more powder...but is it a significant difference in cost? How about cost of brass and bullets for each caliber? I would think 7mm would be harder to find brass, but doing a simple google search...it was actually easier...

Any other things I should consider?

It comes down to literally, which one do you prefer... There is really no significant differences between the 2, other than bullet diameter and case capacity. But those are almost relative when you compare them on an equal playin field.

Ballistically, they are so close that it's not even worth arguing about.

Of those 2 options, I think we all know that I'm gonna pick the 7mm RemMag. I have hunted deer with one for over 12 years, and I think it is THE best deer caliber that has ever been created. It can take them close, as well as far away. You have bullet weight options from 120-180 grains. And it's not an overkill ultramag or anything like that.

To answer that statement, yes, I think my 7mm STW's and .300 Ackley are overkill inside of 500 yards. Which is why I rarely hunt with them.

1) Deer only
2) 700yds max. engagement (sub-500 being more frequent)
3) less recoil is better
4) lower reloading costs

I'd choose the 7mm RM every time.

I've owned both and given short to medium distances, the 7mm is already more than sufficiently capable and generally offers lower recoil (depending on the stock/rifle weight/load).

For reloading costs - primers, bullets and brass are priced the same. Powder consumption of the 7mm is less than the 300win (but not by much....) so less expense there.

Again, for me the 7mm Rem Mag.

It comes down to literally, which one do you prefer... There is really no significant differences between the 2, other than bullet diameter and case capacity. But those are almost relative when you compare them on an equal playin field.

Ballistically, they are so close that it's not even worth arguing about.

Of those 2 options, I think we all know that I'm gonna pick the 7mm RemMag. I have hunted deer with one for over 12 years, and I think it is THE best deer caliber that has ever been created. It can take them close, as well as far away. You have bullet weight options from 120-180 grains. And it's not an overkill ultramag or anything like that.

To answer that statement, yes, I think my 7mm STW's and .300 Ackley are overkill inside of 500 yards. Which is why I rarely hunt with them.

1) Deer only
3) less recoil is better
4) lower reloading costs

I've owned both and given short to medium distances, the 7mm is already more than sufficiently capable and generally offers lower recoil (depending on the stock/rifle weight/load).

For reloading costs - primers, bullets and brass are priced the same. Powder consumption of the 7mm is less than the 300win (but not by much....) so less expense there.

Thanks guys...I was leaning towards the 7mm...but wanted to make sure I was not missing anything.

They will both do the job you describe and both do it well. The only reason to consider the 300 would be if you ever were inclined to reach out farther, or go after larger game. Then the 300 will start to shine and will eventually take over with the bullets we have today.

Jeff

Curious, helping my buddy build a 7 mag now vs the WSM or SAUM. He has a LA so he decided to go the 7 mag route and he has a 300 WM. I thought the 7 and 300 shared the same case? Is this not correct?

Curious, helping my buddy build a 7 mag now vs the WSM or SAUM. He has a LA so he decided to go the 7 mag route and he has a 300 WM. I thought the 7 and 300 shared the same case? Is this not correct?
Nope, 2 different cases. They are both based off the same parent case = .300 H&H. But that's about it.

I'm a 300WM guy, but with the game being limited to deer and range to about 500 yards I see no reason not to go with the lower recoil 7mm. Change either of those two conditions and I'd change my mind.

1) Deer only
3) less recoil is better
4) lower reloading costs

Whole lotta sound logic in a very concise post.

I think for a all around cartridge the 7mm Rem Mag is very tough to beat. Some will say the 300 will reach out further and do better at long range. I disagree. At 1200 yds a 175 grain or 180 gr bullet will put a elk sized animal on the ground just as fast as a 300. Dead is Dead so who cares. Buy the one that suites you the most. I have a Magento that I will post some loads of my recent build that was completed 2 weeks ago. A 7mm Rem loaded with a 180 gr Lapua cruising at 3205 fps with a sd of 9. I am sure that some have " Hot Rodded" the 300 just like I did this 7mm to stretch the legs but the 7mm mag is tough to beat all things considered.

They will both do the job you describe and both do it well. The only reason to consider the 300 would be if you ever were inclined to reach out farther, or go after larger game. Then the 300 will start to shine and will eventually take over with the bullets we have today.

Jeff

Yep, I'm with Jeff ... keep it simple, pick one and move on.

I too prefer the .300 Win Mag and load them with 180 (Berger VLDs, NABs, A-Max, etc ...) and up for antelope to elk from <100 to 1000 yards.

Aim and hit the boiler room and you're golden!

antelopevitals.jpg

index.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.