300 WM Long Range Load Help

I am using a tikka t3 with a custom Pacnor barrel with 1 in 8" twist 28" long the final load that works best for me is as follows : Hornady brass (NEW) Hornady 200 grain ELD bullets GM215M primers and 74.4 grains of 7828 powder. Velocity average 3154. I get 1.25" groups at 300 yards.

Very fast rifle/load

Two years ago I got my first Elk with my Blaser 300 win mag. I was using the ELDX 200 grain bullet from Hornady and 75gr of H1000. Cases were once fired Federal Brass from GIBrass.com (Military sniper rounds). Primer was the CCI BR2 benchrest primer. Overall length is 3.643 as measured with the Hornady bullet seater.

My groups at 100yd ran about .480 x .885 for 5 rounds. and velocity was 2877.

Took the elk with first shot through the lungs, Second through Heart. He traveled about 20yards and dropped. shot was at about 185 yards.

Very fast rifle/load
I custom built this gun for long range target shooting It is a 300 win mag with a brake and at 11 lbs. there is very little recoil my 12 year old grandson can shoot it with ease. I'm fortunate to have a close friend and hunting buddy that is a machinist and gunsmith. At 1000 yards I have had three shot groups as small as 4 inches... they would be tighter were it not for the operator! If I were to do it again it would have a 1 in 7" twist. The heavy bullets appear to fly better the faster they spin ....especially at longer distances.

Sounds like a very nice setup, should serve you well. Good luck this hunting season.
Thanks,
So far it has netted me several coyotes at up to 625+-yards and one trespasser (Black Bear) at 250-+ yards all one shot they all dropped in their tracks. Although it took some work to get it to where i want it it was fun and definitely worth it. Now for the bigger game. Although I have shot many Moose over the years with my 30-06 model 70 This one exceeds it by miles. Soon as i get my elk draw ... they will be in my sights.. Happy hunting.

I custom built this gun for long range target shooting It is a 300 win mag with a brake and at 11 lbs. there is very little recoil my 12 year old grandson can shoot it with ease. I'm fortunate to have a close friend and hunting buddy that is a machinist and gunsmith. At 1000 yards I have had three shot groups as small as 4 inches... they would be tighter were it not for the operator! If I were to do it again it would have a 1 in 7" twist. The heavy bullets appear to fly better the faster they spin ....especially at longer distances.
Who built your brake? I have one but she still has quit a bit of steem behind her. If I could get it reduced it would sure be a lot more pleasant to shoot and probably improve my accuracy.

I had it built locally in Grande Prairie, Alberta by RBC Precision Machining. It is timed to the Barrel so there is no muzzle blast downward. So you could lay close to the ground and not create a dust storm when you shoot There is no muzzle lift. When i target shoot the front of gun rests on a bipod and i just it hold against my shoulder and squeeze the trigger.The recoil is similar to my 22-250.You can contact Bob my gunsmith/machinist call 1-780-505-1319 He is willing to help. Keep in mind that this gun weighs in at 11 lbs so a lot of energy is taken up by its weight.

Attached is a photo of the primer on my 300 win mag. Shot it today for the first time. 11 cartridges 68.5 gr. to 73.5 gr. Reloder 22 in .5 gr increments. Photo is the cartridge from the 73.5 shot. I am not positive what too much pressure looks like but this seems to me to be just fine. Any comments? The last three shots (72.5, 73, and 73.5) were .4" group at 100 yds. Browning Hells Cn Long Range rifle.

Attachments

• fullsizeoutput_3d1a.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_3d1a.jpeg
    554.2 KB · Views: 136
Compare your firing pin imprint on the 73.5 primer with that on the 72.5 primer. If there is no difference in size or depth you should be ok. if you see a difference back off the 73.5 with your group a .4 at 100 you may be as good as you get more powder may increase speed but you will need to chronograph for that. and move to 2-300 yards to see if the group remains consistant. You might want to also compare a freshly loaded cartridge to your 73.5 and look for differences and deformities.

Excellent article Not all brass is created equal, so find the one you like and stick with it. elsewise it will be impossible to be consistant.

Hit the chronograph today and it consistently shoots 2950fps. Groups held to 1/2". Thanks for everyone's help. Time to start moving the target out and see it if holds!

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.