Long range 6mm hunting bullets

115 Berger exit thru shoulder on big mule deer doe at 800 yards from 6 creed going 3100 fps. Dropped dead. Several other deer and goats 4-600 yards dropped in there tracks. Cow elk shot thru lungs at 200 yards, exit, 50 yard death run. 1800 fps at 1000 yards. That's pushing the limit, but anything under that I have confidence in.

115 Berger exit thru shoulder on big mule deer doe at 800 yards from 6 creed going 3100 fps. Dropped dead. Several other deer and goats 4-600 yards dropped in there tracks. Cow elk shot thru lungs at 200 yards, exit, 50 yard death run. 1800 fps at 1000 yards. That's pushing the limit, but anything under that I have confidence in.
What powder r u using with the 115?

I run the 105 Hyb @ 3190 now in my 24" suppressed 6CM. Have used it on coyotes from 30 to 921, and pronghorn at 460. All dropped where they stood.

My buddy shoots them in his 6XC @ 2950, and they have taken mule deer bucks out past 500 with them.

The 115 VLD Target @ 3087 is as accurate as the 105 Hyb. Only shot coyotes and jacks with them so far though. I have seen, and heard of, too many of the 115 VLD Hunting bullets blowing up.

Last edited:
Nothing worse than seeing animals still alive with half their face blown off. Good luck to you, sir.
It is for this very reason I never take head shots. Decided I'd only need to learn that lesson exactly once after a horrible experience as a teenager (ironically with a .243). We did recover the animal and finish the job but I can't remember ever feeling worse about myself than that.

as for the original question

my answer would be to check out the 90 grain Sierra tipped gameking /game changer if they don't have a fast enough twist to stabilize heavier bullets. It has a bc of .48 which is great for the weight, is a dedicated and designed long range hunting bullet, and best of all for me specifically stabilizes in the 1:10 twist of my old savage 99 (same .243 from the previous story).

Deer in the pic to the left was taken at 1032 yards with a Hornady 105 Amax from a 1X8 twist 243. High front shoulder, dropped in his tracks.
I've shot 6 coyotes and one white-tailed buck with 115 Berger hunting bullets with poor results on all. Buck was shot at 484 yards high front shoulder, dropped in his tracks but when I got there he was gone, found him 250 yards away only because he couldn't get through the fence had to finish him off. Only found 2 (barely) of the six coyotes, they are super accurate but I will no longer use Berger bullets.

Yes....with the rite gun...
Remember at 1000 yds.the x ring on the target is 5"
A deer's brain is far smaller than 5X5". And I shoot F-class, big heavy rifles in big heavy rests with big heavy rear bags with flags on the range, and people rarely shoot high X counts at 1000 yards. With unlimited spotter shots to get the string started. And few are foolish enough to try and be competitive at doing that with 6mm rounds because the math tells otherwise.

But let's play this game with hunting rifles and a target far smaller than you claim...without the flags or the other advantages.

To the original question I'd use the ELD-X, just being careful that it's not a close range bullet on hard parts of the target.

I only hunt rodents and use the 87 Vmax out of my 10 twist 6mmAI. Despite it's modest ballistic creds it has worked very well on 4-8 pound rodents up to 800 or so. I wait until the rodent is laying flat & go for the up-wind end as most of my misses are wind caused. Bullet TOF is a big consideration as mobile targets may move a foot or so during a TOF of a second or more. The 6mm 95 Berger VLD out of my 8 twist 6mm-06 shows promise but might have expansion issues way out there - the 87 VMax has nice terminal effects.