Long range 6mm hunting bullets

105 vld, 95 ballistic tip, barnes 95 grain LRX all work fine.. I've seen my daughter kill scads of deer and a few hogs with barnes 85 grain tsx..most were dry or short death dash

105 Berger. We have used this bullet in a 6 Creedmoor with incredible results. Mule deer, coues deer, pronghorn, elk, oryx and a bison. The most impressive result was the oryx-- one shot through the shoulder at 300 yards and the oryx died within 15 feet of impact. These are notoriously tough animals and I was skeptical of my friend using this light round on an oryx. Not any more after seeing that result. I would feel comfortable shooting deer sized game well past 500 yards with the 105 Berger- depending on wind conditions I would consider 700 -800 yards. However, for tougher game like elk and oryx I would keep things inside of 500 yards. I have been wanting to try the 115 Berger but with how good the 105 shoots and the results on game, its hard to fix something that aint broken.

How far can u kill a deer with a 6mm? That's what I'm wanting to find out, what bullets are working at what distances, I can shoot farther than a 6mm would safely work on a deer
I harvested a white tail at 655yds on an overpicked cotton field. .243win, Nosler 100gr partition. Deer went about 25yards. Even at 655yds the bullet punched clean through. I was surprised that it exited.

What's your favourite 6mm long range hunting bullet, works well at slower speeds with great wind deflection. Suitable for deer and smaller.
Just curious what guys are using?
And at what impact velocities have they worked well at
https://bergerbullets.com/product/6-mm-115-grain-very-low-drag-vld-hunting/ just make sure you keep the velocity under 3,250 fps. They have a very thin cover and tend to disintegrate coming out of the muzzle if you load them faster.

What's your favourite 6mm long range hunting bullet, works well at slower speeds with great wind deflection. Suitable for deer and smaller.
Just curious what guys are using?
And at what impact velocities have they worked well at
Smokin hot or strokin slow- Nosler 90 grain Accubond and Hornady 103 ELDX- anteope-pigs and deer never know what hit them. MY 2 cents

I was pleasantly surprised how well the Barnes LRX and Sig Copper factory loads shot out of my modified Ruger American Predator 6 Creed. I may try both on White-tail this fall. That being said I am also going to try some handloads with the Barnes 80grn TTSX. I was really impressed with the performance of the 25cal version out of my Roberts.

I am fearful of screwing up real bad on any big game shot over 400 yards primarily because to TOF issues and thus limit my shots to that distance. I did recently acquire 100 6mm Berger 87 VLD bullets to shoot from my 10 twist 6mm AI, the 87's have real close to the same FF's as the 95 6mm Berger VLD's but can be driven 100 fps or so faster.

Bringing up the subject of animals having shot off faces, I once shot off the entire snout of a rock chuck. I did not realize this at the time of the shot but when I was packing up to leave I saw the unfortunate creature weaving about and walked up to it within 15 or so feet of it to put it down with my 1911; I Did not want to climb over rocks to club it.

Last edited:
I have taken 2 Deer with the 115 D-Tacs 1 at 750 yards 1 shot high lungs dropped and 1 @ 585. I had to make a quick decision and decided to shoot him in the shoulder to put him down quickly so he didn't disappear into a deep canyon. The bullet went through both shoulder bones the size of a golf ball in and out. Deer dropped dead
I was with a guy that shot 1 cow elk at 285 with that bullet and it entered the lungs and the elk only ran 20' no exit destroyed everything internally

Those Deer were shot with a 6-250 @ 2941 FPS and the Elk with a 24 Kidd (basically a 6 creed) @ 3140