Long range 6mm hunting bullets

Canhunter35

What's your favourite 6mm long range hunting bullet, works well at slower speeds with great wind deflection. Suitable for deer and smaller.
Just curious what guys are using?
And at what impact velocities have they worked well at

I've heard good things with bergers and have tested a few of the 105's hybrids on coyotes. I will be cleaning the tips and trying them on whitetail this season.

Put em in the right place and all will get the job done. I shoot the 105 and 108 Hornadys at 965 yds. and the splat on the plate if very convincing. Like a 308 hitting it. I believe speed, around the 3100 to 3200 is most adequate. Just put it where it should go and DRT. The 6s at that vel. have a lot less wind deflection than 6.5s and 308s.

I used a 6/06 for about a decade pretty hard, back in the 10 twist days. I mainly used the 70 NBT and the 95 NBT. Farthest I took it on game was 634

Kinda an open ended question. Every bullet b.c/velocity combo will have a different answer.
Most bullets have a recommended minimum impact velocity of around 1800 fps, I personally use 2000 fps as my minimum. A ballistics calculator with the correct data input will give you your max range.

Last edited:
6mm,s are very accurate.i,ve competed at 1000 yds.with BR,s...thats on paper...
Assuming your going for body shots and assuming southern or coues deer....I would,nt shoot past 500 yds.now head shots neck shots will get you farther.
On cold weather northern deer 300# ++...a 6 mm.would not be 1st.2nd.or 3rd.choice..

How far can u kill a deer with a 6mm? That's what I'm wanting to find out, what bullets are working at what distances, I can shoot farther than a 6mm would safely work on a deer
Well, I've used a 6RemAI with the old 105 AMAX to anchor them all the way out to just over 800, but most have been taken under the 600 mark.

6mm,s are very accurate.i,ve competed at 1000 yds.with BR,s...thats on paper...
Assuming your going for body shots and assuming southern or coues deer....I would,nt shoot past 500 yds.now head shots neck shots will get you farther.
On cold weather northern deer 300# ++...a 6 mm.would not be 1st.2nd.or 3rd.choice..
You wouldn't take a body shot past 500 but you would take a head shot farther?